Quantcast

What are you unhappy about today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
I tried to install DoorDash on my phone and all it really did is screw up my FB account's relationship with my cell number. *sulk*

Mel KM

I'm so sorry for you and all who knew your Dad, Mel. It is good that his suffering is done, but the loss doesn't feel any less for it. (my father died of cancer just about two years ago, and I know it is still affecting me. The first year in particular I felt really detached from the world. All the sensible words in the world didn't change those feelings).

Having to deal with his shop, in a strange city, at this time, on top of all that? Wow, what a tough situation. Best of luck on finding a straightforward solution that will let you move on as soon as possible.
Thank you. I’m sorry for your loss as well. It’s rough losing a parent.

Fortunately, everything is taken care of. My mom and sister finished with his estate, and my brothers and one of my cousins are running his shop, which is great because we really wanted to keep it in the family.
I’m finally headed home tomorrow, and honestly all I feel is relief. Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement :)

Reactions: Tad

MrSensible

Welcome to Moonside
To know that someone you loved and trusted could hurt you so deeply and suddenly and then carry on as if you never mattered to them at all. I don't think anything has ever made me feel so unhappy or bitter with the world.

It's been a year as of yesterday that I haven't seen my Mom due to Covid-19. She turned 77 yesterday and lives in a nursing home. I read that visiting hours were supposed to resume soon but still no word yet.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
This isn't personal, but it is bugging me. The EU is currently blocking a shipment of 250 000 vaccine doses to Australia, from a European factory. The manufacturer is behind on planned deliveries to the EU because of production problems cutting into their volumes, and the EU decided to give themselves the power to block deliveries outside the block if in-block commitments are not being met. Mind you, this is not as bad as the US that is blocking any shipments of vaccine out of the country until they are done with their vaccinations.

OK, part of why I'm unhappy is personal -- I'm in Canada and our vaccinations are way behind the USA, UK, and a few other places, and part of the reason is this vaccine nationalism, and meanwhile my 83 years old mother still isn't vaccinated, and I don't expect to get a jab until at least July (and that is IF our shipments from European plants don't get blocked -- normally Canada would order vaccines from the huge plants in the US, but that wasn't possible this time).

What I'm really annoyed about, however, is long term economic stupidity of it all (it is going to drive a lot of inefficiences to cover political backsides) and how it normalizes the behavior of saying 'screw the rest of the world as long as we are taking care of our own.'

Of course I'm delighted whenever I hear that one of you has received your shots. If you are eligible, go get the jab! This isn't something that is not a personal behavior influenced thing, it is all national level politics.

Shotha

DM Supporter
This isn't personal, but it is bugging me. The EU is currently blocking a shipment of 250 000 vaccine doses to Australia, from a European factory. The manufacturer is behind on planned deliveries to the EU because of production problems cutting into their volumes, and the EU decided to give themselves the power to block deliveries outside the block if in-block commitments are not being met. Mind you, this is not as bad as the US that is blocking any shipments of vaccine out of the country until they are done with their vaccinations.

OK, part of why I'm unhappy is personal -- I'm in Canada and our vaccinations are way behind the USA, UK, and a few other places, and part of the reason is this vaccine nationalism, and meanwhile my 83 years old mother still isn't vaccinated, and I don't expect to get a jab until at least July (and that is IF our shipments from European plants don't get blocked -- normally Canada would order vaccines from the huge plants in the US, but that wasn't possible this time).

What I'm really annoyed about, however, is long term economic stupidity of it all (it is going to drive a lot of inefficiences to cover political backsides) and how it normalizes the behavior of saying 'screw the rest of the world as long as we are taking care of our own.'

Of course I'm delighted whenever I hear that one of you has received your shots. If you are eligible, go get the jab! This isn't something that is not a personal behavior influenced thing, it is all national level politics.
Because we are aware that many politicians will prioritize their own regions over others, New Zealand has ordered four different vaccines, so as not to put all of it's eggs in one basket. The sad thing is that the world will be in the COVID-19 crisis until the majority of people in all regions are immunized.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
Because we are aware that many politicians will prioritize their own regions over others, New Zealand has ordered four different vaccines, so as not to put all of it's eggs in one basket. The sad thing is that the world will be in the COVID-19 crisis until the majority of people in all regions are immunized.
I think most countries ordered from different suppliers. At least those which can afford it.

As long as demand is not met by supply, protecting own needs will not change.
The attempt to think in terms of worldwide solutions here fails because of politicians who act for the people in the respective countries. On a small scale, the motto "every man for himself" rules, and nothing else happens on the political level.
I'm unhappy about that.

Shotha

DM Supporter
I think most countries ordered from different suppliers. At least those which can afford it.

The attempt to think in terms of worldwide solutions here fails because of politicians who act for the people in the respective countries. On a small scale, the motto "every man for himself" rules, and nothing else happens on the political level.
I'm unhappy about that.
I'm unhappy about it, too. Unfortunately, this is how politicians behave, because they're driven by the fear of not being reelected.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer

I'm unhappy about that.
On the one hand if the vaccine production was government owned, sure they can decide where to send it. When it is private companies that happen to have their factories in one country instead of another, and politicians take advantage of that to claim the production for their country, that makes me unhappy. Economies of scale say that there should not be one factory in every country, but a few large plants where it is economical to keep them upgraded to the latest technology, but after this every country is certainly going to want their own plant :-/
(needless to say I'd be thinking about this less if Canada had its own vaccine production, but up until now it has always made sense to just buy from the American factories)

LeoGibson

Happy
To know that someone you loved and trusted could hurt you so deeply and suddenly and then carry on as if you never mattered to them at all. I don't think anything has ever made me feel so unhappy or bitter with the world.
Though it's hard to hear sometimes, maybe you dodged one hell of a bullet. For whatever reason people change rapidly and catch us off guard and that's really painful, but in the end you just have to ask yourself some questions.

Is someone who could treat me in such a manner that brings me this much devastation a person I would actually like to have in my life? Is that the type person that would be beneficial to my life and my circle or tribe? Is that the type of person that would help build something or would they drag it down?

You know the answers to these if you look inside. It's just a hard realization to come to. Best of luck and keep your head up!

MrSensible

Welcome to Moonside
Though it's hard to hear sometimes, maybe you dodged one hell of a bullet. For whatever reason people change rapidly and catch us off guard and that's really painful, but in the end you just have to ask yourself some questions.

Is someone who could treat me in such a manner that brings me this much devastation a person I would actually like to have in my life? Is that the type person that would be beneficial to my life and my circle or tribe? Is that the type of person that would help build something or would they drag it down?

You know the answers to these if you look inside. It's just a hard realization to come to. Best of luck and keep your head up!
Thanks Leo. Looking at it from an overall, big picture perspective, I think you're right. Honestly, the damage to my perception of trust is probably the biggest loss. I've had issues trusting people for as long as I can remember (I'm not even sure why exactly, at least to such a degree). I figured I had developed a pretty good bullshit detector because of that, along with a sixth sense for spotting dishonesty and insincerity. This experience has shaken that belief and made me question my own judgement more than anything.

Here's hoping, if nothing else, I'll be able to learn something and take some value from the whole thing.

Latest posts