What are your favorite workouts?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
It's been awhule since i've posted any workout ideas AND there have been other threads in the past....will add links to them in another post...but, here's my question...

What are your favorite workouts? Do you need the standards machines in a gym (weight machines- treadmills - stationary bikes etc.) Or

Can you find the same satisfaction doing things 'old school' : ie, bodyweight exercises (pushups, situps, pullups) - hiking- swimming- walking- yoga

And we all have those days where we cannot get a workout in - what do you do as far as an abbreviated program OR do you become creative and make your daily housework (the workout)....

Suze

Too Vanilla For You
I love swimming, volleyball, rollerblading:p. ...And snowboard.:wubu:

I'm old school I guess, hate indoor machines!

comperic2003

I am all about the "old-school" lifts. I find machines (cable stations do not qualify as machines) pretty useless. Anything I can do on a machine I can do with free weights better and safer.

Pistol Squats
Front Squats
Deadlifts
Rows
Pullups
Bench Press
Pushups
Olympic Lifts
Face Pulls
Pull Throughs
Glut Ham Raises

Those exercises pretty much make up the core of my entire workout plan for the week. I occasionally spice it up with some medicine ball throws, sled pushes, sled pulls, sandbag work, and wheelbarrow work.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Face Pulls
Those exercises pretty much make up the core of my entire workout plan for the week. I occasionally spice it up with some medicine ball throws, sled pushes, sled pulls, sandbag work, and wheelbarrow work.

I like the idea of doing 'Face Pulls' definitely a safer movement than
behind the neck pressdowns with the lat machine.

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/facepull.html

I've learn to be creative when I don't get to the gym. For example, I had to do some grocery shopping and had about 20-30lbs worth of bags on each hand. How can you make this a great workout? Well one of the pluses/minuses of living in the city is that you have the options of walking- so a nice long walk with the bags provided a "modified farmers walk" and a great cardio workout. Great for the grip too....

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado

Risible

Monkey Daze
Tony, these are great! I especially liked the Paul Eugene chair aerobics, with that driving beat, makes you want to follow along. I actually had a chair aerobics videotape (a while ago), but the music was totally uninspiring.

Thanks for posting them!

comperic2003

I like the idea of doing 'Face Pulls' definitely a safer movement than
behind the neck pressdowns with the lat machine.

The lat machine primarily works your lats. Face pulls primarily work your upper and lower traps and middle back. Face pulls barely work the lats at all. You can't swap one in for the other.

And the behind the neck lat pulldown, or the behind the neck pullup, or behind the neck shoulder press are not inherently dangerous or any less safe than other exercises. They become dangerous when people with poor shoulder stability and mobility (ie almost everyone) try them.

goldilocks829

Thank you so much for posting this. My legs are different sizes due to a fall and subsequent surgeries so my balance is off. This will really help me. Thanks again!!

Janice

And here is a great video on YOutube for a nice chair aerobic workout- really great for the days when you can have aching knees , back, heels etc.

Chair Aerobics with Paul Eugene

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P3jhx4F0oAc&feature=related

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Tony, these are great! I especially liked the Paul Eugene chair aerobics, with that driving beat, makes you want to follow along. I actually had a chair aerobics videotape (a while ago), but the music was totally uninspiring.

Thanks for posting them!

Hi Ris:
No Problem - I just discovered the Chair Aerobics thing as I was looking at a Video on YouTube that showed a boxing routine that you could do- I'll post this as well and see what other things I can list...

The lat machine primarily works your lats. Face pulls primarily work your upper and lower traps and middle back. Face pulls barely work the lats at all. You can't swap one in for the other.

And the behind the neck lat pulldown, or the behind the neck pullup, or behind the neck shoulder press are not inherently dangerous or any less safe than other exercises. They become dangerous when people with poor shoulder stability and mobility (ie almost everyone) try them.

Hey Comperic:
I guess it all depends - and yes you do have to consider pre-existing factors;but, there are certian movements that have been shown to be unsafe and have fallen out of favor. I noticed that you mentioned 'pistol' or one legged squats on your list. This can be a real ass kick....Tony

Thank you so much for posting this. My legs are different sizes due to a fall and subsequent surgeries so my balance is off. This will really help me. Thanks again!!
Janice

Hi Janice:
I will post some more threads as far as the variety of workouts that I come up with on the net - as well as whatever posting folks want to add.
Thanks--- Tony

comperic2003

Hey Comperic:
I guess it all depends - and yes you do have to consider pre-existing factors;but, there are certian movements that have been shown to be unsafe and have fallen out of favor. I noticed that you mentioned 'pistol' or one legged squats on your list. This can be a real ass kick....Tony

Saying behind the neck movements are unsafe is equivalent to saying squats are unsafe. If you posses the mobility, stability, muscular balance, etc. to perform either of these movements, then neither of them is unsafe. Behind the neck movements have "fallen out of favor" because most people are not fit enough to preform them safely. That does not mean the movement itself is inherently unsafe, just the practitioner.

And regarding pistols, they are my favorite exercise. Do you do them?

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Saying behind the neck movements are unsafe is equivalent to saying squats are unsafe. If you posses the mobility, stability, muscular balance, etc. to perform either of these movements, then neither of them is unsafe. Behind the neck movements have "fallen out of favor" because most people are not fit enough to preform them safely. That does not mean the movement itself is inherently unsafe, just the practitioner.

And regarding pistols, they are my favorite exercise. Do you do them?

Not necessarily - when you consider some exercises ; ie, like the 'Behind the Neck' Press movement. This specific exercise goes against the structural design of the shoulder joint and have casued problems to folks that are fit.

This exercise is done by standing with your feet about shoulder width apart. Placing your hands on the bar about three inches wider than the width of your shoulders. Pushing the bar overhead to arm's length, holding and then slowly lowering back down to your shoulders.

Now you can do a safer form of this in the seated version. Try performing it in a smith machine or power rack for added safety.

But, this is the problem- Behind The Neck Presses places the shoulder joint into the dislocation position and the range of motion puts unnecessary stress on the rotator cuff tendons of the shoulders.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Just in case - we might have thought that 'Chair' exercising would be a walk in the park :rolleyes:

How about these

CrossFit- Chair Pistol Exercises

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q13abYk9ri0

Bounce Back Fitness Chair

I have not used this product -but, seems interesting
claims to be great for the lymphatic symptoms-
check the web site as they do have extra heavy weight springs
rated to (300-450#).... you might have to attach extra springs for
added safety...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-ZfwMkzm1gU

--------------------------------------------

Bounce Back Fitness Web site

http://www.allfit.com/

comperic2003

Not necessarily - when you consider some exercises ; ie, like the 'Behind the Neck' Press movement. This specific exercise goes against the structural design of the shoulder joint and have casued problems to folks that are fit.

Well obviously those individuals were not fit. Having a six pack and being able to bench 300+ does not make one fit. Joint mobility, stability and muscular balance are often forgotten when talking about fitness.

BTN do not go against the structural design of the shoulder. They go against the conditioned and habitual shoulder posture that is inherent in a western lifestyle. I am not saying BTN presses are the safest thing in the world, nor am I saying they are unsafe and should be avoided. If one possesses the proper shoulder mobility, stability, muscular balance and flexibility, than one can perform BTN presses properly and with added safety.

This exercise is done by standing with your feet about shoulder width apart. Placing your hands on the bar about three inches wider than the width of your shoulders. Pushing the bar overhead to arm's length, holding and then slowly lowering back down to your shoulders.

Who says you have to place your hands three inches wider than shoulder length? It is certainly an option, but you can move them in closer. And as for standing with your feet shoulder width apart, that is only one option. I prefer a split leg stance, when overhead pressing, with my dominant leg's foot 10-12 inches in front of my other. This severely cuts down on the lumbar load and spinal compression.

Now you can do a safer form of this in the seated version. Try performing it in a smith machine or power rack for added safety.

How is a seated overhead press any safer? And smith machine? Smith machine's, and any machine for that matter, promote pattern overload. That is dangerous. That will cause injury.

But, this is the problem- Behind The Neck Presses places the shoulder joint into the dislocation position and the range of motion puts unnecessary stress on the rotator cuff tendons of the shoulders.

You know what the problem is? Recent literature states that in people with gleno-humeral instability (ie just about everyone), their scapula is unstable 100% of the time.(1)

1: Kibler, WB. (1998) The Role of the Scapula in Athletic Shoulder Function. Am J Sports Med, 26, 325-337.

MsGreenLantern

Keanu Drakula The Centaur
I love strength training! If I exercise it's mostly arm exercises, or fun outdoor things like swimming or hiking. Sure I'm a damn slow hiker, but I love the woods so much, it doesn't much matter. Now I just need hiking buddies!

Risible

Monkey Daze
Just in case - we might have thought that 'Chair' exercising would be a walk in the park :rolleyes:

How about these

CrossFit- Chair Pistol Exercises

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q13abYk9ri0

Bounce Back Fitness Chair

I have not used this product -but, seems interesting
claims to be great for the lymphatic symptoms-
check the web site as they do have extra heavy weight springs
rated to (300-450#).... you might have to attach extra springs for
added safety...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-ZfwMkzm1gU

--------------------------------------------

Bounce Back Fitness Web site

http://www.allfit.com/

Thanks for the interesting links, Tony.

I would love to be able to do cross pistols, what a workout! I have a hard time balancing on one leg, partly due to my size, but also due to left ankle fusion performed years ago. Yeah, even when I was going to the gym regularly, I was just barely able to do stuff like step aerobics.

That bounce chair looks too good to be true. Before I invested in something like that, I'd research its claims, see if I could find how genuine they are. It looks like a fun workout, though. :p

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
Oh, I want one of those chairs. I was getting dizzy while watching the video, so, might not be the best thing for me..heh. I also could not help but think that it would be great for those people who have a bit of an issue with constipation..*L*

Pretty much a mix.

I go to the gym three days a week to weigh train. I take MMA three days a week as well.

Bodyweight exercises? Just little stuff. "Abs: The six minute burn," pushups (I know about 10-15 different types), bodyweight squats (Usually I modify them with me on my toes, which is a Capoeira thing: "Cocorinha"), Hand stand holds on the wall for now (I don't have very good shoulders [Plus my last job gave me joint issues up there], and most of my strength and weight is in my lower body), and mixes. I work out of this book called "Capoeira Conditioning," which has some pretty neat ideas in it, EX: Alternate doing a cartwheel in one direction, then do a bodyweight squat. Repeat for 7 1/2 minutes. Then move on to pistols and one armed cartwheels.

I run, and as soon as the weather gets a little better: I have to start swimming for my water survival course too.

I also have a bullworker, and I use it normally after my workouts:
http://www.thebullworker.com/

I stretch often too. Other than that: Nothing really. Just other martial arts, my powerwheel (I do rollouts with it mostly), "Elastic steel" and "Yoga for the martial artist," and that's about it really. I'm qualified physically for BMT, but I have to run like 8 miles in SERE school, which depending on pace might be easy or hard for me.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Well obviously those individuals were not fit. Having a six pack and being able to bench 300+ does not make one fit. Joint mobility, stability and muscular balance are often forgotten when talking about fitness.

And yet- you can have individuals that are fit and be blessed with the joint mobility-stablity and muscular balance - just the repetitive nature of certian exercises can still leave it's damadge.

I love strength training! If I exercise it's mostly arm exercises, or fun outdoor things like swimming or hiking. Sure I'm a damn slow hiker, but I love the woods so much, it doesn't much matter. Now I just need hiking buddies!

Are you doing weights for your upper body exercises? and it's ok if you are a slow hiker- you could always carry some weights and take them with you and this way you can combine an upper and lower body program...

Pretty much a mix.
I also have a bullworker, and I use it normally after my workouts:
http://www.thebullworker.com/

Jon:
Almost forgot about the Bullworker- had to look them up online to see if they can still be purchased.

A similar strength equipment that I use are..
1. Power Twister 'Flex Bar'
these come in different varieties online and prices vary..

Heavy Duty Power Twister- similar to the one I have

http://ambersports.com/hhe003.htm

-------------------------------------------
TherBand

This is a nice web site as they list all types of equipment for
home use.

http://www.thera-band.com/flexbar.html

2. Wieder Iron Shoe Exerciser
(real old time stuff- the 'Iron SHoe' resembles a horse shoe -but you can build upper body and grip strength).

Neen

Free Spirit
The only workouts i actually enjoy are:
*Walk away the pounds w/leslie sansone. 1-5 mile walk dvds' you can do at home! Awesome, easy, and non complicated!
* Carmen Electra striptease.. not really a intense workout, but it will bring out your inner sex kitten.. RAWR!
*Swimming..easy on the body!

Latest posts