What are your favorite workouts?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Suze

Too Vanilla For You
I walk for an hour on my treadmill 5 days a week, I have a body ball that I do sit ups and push ups on and I have one of those little things that you use to make your bicycle stationary. I use 3 lb hand weights to do exercises for my arms and back. During the summer I also swim and do some yard work with the push mower. I'm a fit plump lady:D

I have the exact training routine as you!:eek: Except for the treadmill, I walk my dog instead.

Creepy!:p

Dr. P Marshall

Going for a three mile run tuh night. :p I have to enjoy my mp3 player why I still haz one. ;)
(Though if I could use one in basic training, I'd probably run a lot faster, but noooooooo..... lol)

That does border on cruel and unusual punishment. :eek: I can't do any long cardio session (running or cycling)without tunes. It makes me crazy.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
You have to admire folks that are determined to log those jogging miles even in the hottest of 'summer' days. I'm just content to 'walk'...

By the way has anyone seen the latest Documentary to hit the movie theaters "Bigger Stronger Faster"

It's directed by Chris Bell and it explores the obsession with steriods.

Bigger Faster Stronger -Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8nOKJTL6Tg

DeniseW

Fat don't crack!!
I go to the gym with Butch and I use the treadmill and the stationary bike and also the elliptical machine. I started very slow and am gradually working my way up. I also swim when I can and I dance at home. I do wall push ups which help strengthen my arms. I'm so glad you posted about the resistance bands, I bought some and it comes with a few exercises but I'll use some of yours too. I also have walking poles(exerstrider.com) which are like ski poles. They take the pressure off of joints and allow me to walk a lot further. They also give an upper body workout. I LOVE my walking poles. I go every day that I don't go to the gym and I walk along the beach with them. I also do things every day to get extra steps in, parking farther away from stores, etc....

PT test here last week! I did awesome (And with no music lol)

Pullups- 10
Pushups (1 min)- 68
Situps (1 min) - 70
And the coup de grace... my fastest 1.5 mile run ever: 8:33!!!! WHOOOO I was running lol :p
But they put the numbers in wrong (They said I did 8 instead of 10, 10 being the minimum for the award), so I don't get my highest fitness award thingy. :mad:

comperic2003

You are obviously progressing, and that is fantastic, but 10 pullups? If you can do 68 pushups in a minute but can only do 10 pullups, you have a serious muscular imbalance to address.

Waxwing

Reckless Hero
You are obviously progressing, and that is fantastic, but 10 pullups? If you can do 68 pushups in a minute but can only do 10 pullups, you have a serious muscular imbalance to address.

Really? Because I can do a goodly number of pushups, but not a single pullup.

Which, though, might be because I'm a chick and it's harder for us to do pullups to begin with.

or, perhaps I am horribly imbalanced. :p

rainyday

Departed
For now I'm alternating between H2o classes (which incorporate some upper-body strength training) and swimming laps with Zoomers. I don't like using normal fins, but I love these.

I recommend the blue ones. I've tried the red ones and they were too stiff to be comfortable. I think they run a little small lengthwise. My foot is a WW and they fit me widthwise.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1267.htm
Lots of other places on the net sell them as well, including Amazon.

Now I wish I could find a swim cap stretchy enough to hold long hair and not tug at it.

I could have done more but I was going for the award of "Warhawk." I wasn't trying to do any better than it because it is the highest fitness award one can get here.

Warhawk standards:
Pushups- 65, 1 min
Situps- 70, 1 min
1.5 mile run- 8:55
Pullups 10
That's the minimum, and what I was looking to get.

comperic2003

I could have done more but I was going for the award of "Warhawk." I wasn't trying to do any better than it because it is the highest fitness award one can get here.

Warhawk standards:
Pushups- 65, 1 min
Situps- 70, 1 min
1.5 mile run- 8:55
Pullups 10
That's the minimum, and what I was looking to get.

That's a good point. Sorry about that. I guess my real concern should be with the standards of the organization then.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
You often see gym misshaps-but, this has to be one of the shocking ones. Poor lady

==================================================
GYM MACHINE HURLS WOMAN

By TOM LIDDY, PILAR CONCI and JAMIE SCHRAM
The New York Sports Club at 345 W. 145th StLast updated: 9:29 pm
July 28, 2008
Posted: 9:29 pm
July 28, 2008

In the age-old battle of human vs. machine, the "abductor" defeated its foe - a portly woman - at a Harlem gym today

A "very large lady" at the New York Sports Club was "sling-shot" off equipment known as the "abductor" - and had to be hauled from the gym in a rescue basket by firefighters, authorities said.

The accident was reported before noon at 345 W. 145th St., where a 38-year-old woman was using the machine, which firms muscles of the hips and inner thighs, witnesses said.

"She didn't close [the machine] properly," said one source who asked not to be identified.

"She was supposed to exit it from the side but tried to go over the leg bar . . and her loose pants got caught in the handle."

Gym members were aghast as they watched the accident unfold.

"If you are on a machine, it's you versus the machine," said another gym member who also asked not to be identified.

"She put too much weight on the machine. She was, like, sling-shot from it."

A FDNY spokesman said that because of the woman's large size, paramedics had to use a "Stokes basket" instead of a regular stretcher to lift the woman from the gym and into the ambulance.

She was then taken to New York Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center. A spokeswoman at the hospital had no immediate information, including the woman's weight.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07282008/news/regionalnews/gym_machine_hurls_woman_121988.htm
==========================================================

Abduction Machine in Action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeYrpCS_Tlg&feature=related

comperic2003

Really? Because I can do a goodly number of pushups, but not a single pullup.

Which, though, might be because I'm a chick and it's harder for us to do pullups to begin with.

or, perhaps I am horribly imbalanced. :p

With the exception of rock climbers, everyone else can and should be able to do more pushups than pullups. But that is to be expected. Because your feet are still in contact with the ground in a pushup, less of your bodyweight needs to be moved when compared to a pullup. I don't know the exact ration of pushups to pullups indicative of healthy and balanced shoulders, but if you can do 70-100 pushups in a row, I think 20-25 pullups would be appropriate.

That being said, most non overweight people should at least be able to do 5-10.

DeniseW

Fat don't crack!!
You often see gym misshaps-but, this has to be one of the shocking ones. Poor lady

==================================================
GYM MACHINE HURLS WOMAN

By TOM LIDDY, PILAR CONCI and JAMIE SCHRAM
The New York Sports Club at 345 W. 145th StLast updated: 9:29 pm
July 28, 2008
Posted: 9:29 pm
July 28, 2008

In the age-old battle of human vs. machine, the "abductor" defeated its foe - a portly woman - at a Harlem gym today

A "very large lady" at the New York Sports Club was "sling-shot" off equipment known as the "abductor" - and had to be hauled from the gym in a rescue basket by firefighters, authorities said.

The accident was reported before noon at 345 W. 145th St., where a 38-year-old woman was using the machine, which firms muscles of the hips and inner thighs, witnesses said.

"She didn't close [the machine] properly," said one source who asked not to be identified.

"She was supposed to exit it from the side but tried to go over the leg bar . . and her loose pants got caught in the handle."

Gym members were aghast as they watched the accident unfold.

"If you are on a machine, it's you versus the machine," said another gym member who also asked not to be identified.

"She put too much weight on the machine. She was, like, sling-shot from it."

A FDNY spokesman said that because of the woman's large size, paramedics had to use a "Stokes basket" instead of a regular stretcher to lift the woman from the gym and into the ambulance.

She was then taken to New York Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center. A spokeswoman at the hospital had no immediate information, including the woman's weight.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07282008/news/regionalnews/gym_machine_hurls_woman_121988.htm
==========================================================

Abduction Machine in Action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeYrpCS_Tlg&feature=related

Looks like I wont' be getting on the abductor anytime soon...holy crap

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

Well I'm a bit late to this thread...what's new, lol.

My work out these days is Monday-water aerobics, Wednesday-stationary recumbent bike for an hour, Friday-water aerobics. Before water aerobics I try to swim 4 laps as well.

Now I LOVE LOVE LOVE the water stuff, but that freaking exercise stuff on Wednesdays, is for the birds, lol. I HATE IT. I do it cos I feel awesome afterwards, but my god do I hate it!

DeniseW

Fat don't crack!!
Well I'm a bit late to this thread...what's new, lol.

My work out these days is Monday-water aerobics, Wednesday-stationary recumbent bike for an hour, Friday-water aerobics. Before water aerobics I try to swim 4 laps as well.

Now I LOVE LOVE LOVE the water stuff, but that freaking exercise stuff on Wednesdays, is for the birds, lol. I HATE IT. I do it cos I feel awesome afterwards, but my god do I hate it!

I wish my gym had the recumbent bike with the hand pedals on it, we just have the one you sit on and pedal with your feet. I asked them about getting one and they said that likely wouldn't happen. I'd probably be the only one using it so it's not worth it to them.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
** Bump**

The Cane Masters Exercise System uses a combination of isometric and isotonic techniques to provide an effective and efficient regimen for muscle toning as well as rehabilitation. Utilizing a wooden cane and resistance band, the Cane Masters Exercise System can be used standing, sitting, or in a prone position.

** I some of the clips that go into the MA/Self Defense Techniques in the BBW SelfDefense thread in the Main Lounge. I just wanted to focus on the exercise benefits here **

YouTube Clips

CaneMasters Exercise Brochure

CaneMaster Exercise System Explained

CaneMasters Exercise System

WebSite

http://www.canemasters.com/

DeniseW

Fat don't crack!!
I am re-reading this thread and I have to say that this is such a great post Tony, so much great info and ideas. I have recently started stepping at home and I love it. I'm also very much into strength training now and it has helped me so much, I feel so much stronger.

Now with your training programs are your goals for sport or improvement of daily activities (functional strength)?

How has your workout plans - helped with performing your daily activities and what are your favorite exercises?

What is nice about exercises is how can we think outside the box- so the same workout can work for folks of different strength levels. Tkae the Laundry lift... you can go pretty hardcore; ie, instead of doing 'Laundry Bags' you can opt for the old school 'SandBag' workout.

Below is a series of articles and links from (aboutfit.com) on the importance of building 'Functional Strength'

=====================================================

Functional Strength Training

From Paige Waehner,
Your Guide to Exercise.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board
A Guest Article By Cara Lindell

Functional strength training simply means training our bodies to better perform the types of movements we use for everyday living. The time spent developing this specific strength, flexibility and agility have the optimum carry-over into daily activities.
Strength movements you perform on a day-in, day-out basis can be categorized into the following groups:

Lifting: Laundry basket, Grocery Bags, child/grandchildren
Reaching: Refrigerator or clothes dryer, Dishes on shelves, Grabbing objects on floor
Power: Standing up from chair, going up stairs, walking up incline
Balancing: Walking (Single leg activities), Moving while holding awkward objects
Combinations of the above

Functional Exercises

These are four highly functional exercises you can easily add to your day to create a basic strength training program.
They form the foundation for daily strength movements. Performing these several times a day, several times a week will enable you to do more with less effort and with more confidence.

You can do them anywhere, anytime:

* Push-ups: Start with wall push-ups and progress to placing your hands on the kitchen counter. You can do 5-6 while waiting for the microwave to finish. These firm your chest, arms, abs and back.

* Squats or lunges: Most reaching, lifting or bending involves and element or squatting or lunging. Remember to push out your tush and don’t let your knees go farther forward than your toes. You’ll strengthen your knees, quads and hips.

* Grocery Bag Lift: Each time you go shopping strengthen your arms. Use each arm and lift the bag 6 times to the front, side and rear. You can also do a modified bicep curl. Just remember to keep your shoulders back and abs tight while working your arms.

* Lift: Pick-up that heavy pet food bag or laundry basket by squaring your feet shoulder width apart, squatting down, grabbing hold and pushing up with your legs. Put it down and do it again. If your knees hurt, practice lifting from a chair until you get stronger.

Functional Equipment

The recommended equipment will also vary from that used in traditional strength training. Recent findings in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning show that machine based strength training has limited carry-over in helping us perform our activities of daily living. There are many better equipment options for functional strength training that don’t involve going to the gym. They include:

Dumb Bells: Begin with 3-4 pounds and progress to 8-10
Body Weight: Combined with jump ropes or exercise balls, body weight is often challenging on its own, especially lunges and push-ups!
Resistance Bands and Loops: Replicate the exercises on a cable machine in the gym.
Exercise Balls: A fun way to combine balance work with other exercises
Medicine Balls: Great for combo moves involving the shoulders
Just as athletes train for their specific sport, we have specific household or recreational activities to train for. Make your training count; make it functional!

Cara Lindell is founder and president of Fully Fit Lifestyles, a company committed to helping women in their 40's and above become fit and healthy.
Updated: March 25, 2003

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Strength Training for Large Folks

Functional Exercise

If you have trouble with movements like getting up from a chair, getting in and out of a car or up and down from curbs, this is where to start. Functional exercise means you're working on the very things you struggle with to improve quality of life.

1. Stepping Up and Down

A great place to start in functional exercise is with stepping. Daily life often involves stepping onto curbs and walking up and down stairs. A typical curb is about 2-6 inches high while the average flight of stairs may have 15 or more steps. Practicing your stepping at home can make it easier when you go out into the world.

How to Practice: Using a Step, a nearby curb or a stair, step up with the right foot and then the left, holding onto the wall or a handrail for balance. Step down with the right foot followed by the left and repeat on the right foot 10 times. Switch and repeat with the left foot. Practice this each day, adding more repetitions and eventually balancing without holding onto anything. If you use a Step, start with the top and add risers over time to add intensity.

Make it Harder: Stepping requires balance because there's a brief period when only one foot is on the floor. Practice balance by trying this: Stand near a wall (just in case you need it) and lift the right foot off the floor, balancing on your left. See how long you can hold this position. Lower and repeat with the left foot. To make it harder, close your eyes. Eventually, move away from the wall and try it on your own.

2. Standing Up and Down

Think about how many times you sit and stand each day--on chairs, couches, in cars and on toilets. If you have trouble with this activity, the simple act of sitting and standing can be frustrating. The average toilet is about 15 inches high, while the average chair is about 16-17 inches. That means you need to able squat down to 15 inches from the floor at least 10 times in a day. Squatting requires strength in the legs, abs and back as well as good balance and stability.

How to Practice: Using a familiar chair or even a toilet (with the lid down, of course), begin by sitting and standing 8 times. Each day, practice sitting and standing, using arm rests or handrails if you need to at first. Over time, add more repetitions and try to balance without holding onto anything.

Make it harder: If you want to progress, try squatting without sitting all the way down. By working against gravity and momentum, you'll strengthen your leg muscles, core and improve balance. Try this: Place a chair behind you and sit down on it (so you know where it is). Then stand up and squat as though you're about to sit down. Stop a few inches above the chair, stand up and repeat.

3. Getting In and Out of a Car

This can be a tough one for everyone, not just the overweight or obese and, for some, the difficulty in maneuvering in and out of a small car is just one more reason to stay home. By practicing this move, you can improve your strength and agility. Try this: Sit in your car and practice getting out--step one leg out and then the other (try not to twist when you get out...this can cause back injuries). Now, use your hands to help push you up and out of the car and then sit back down and repeat. Your goal is to be able to push yourself out of the car using the strength of your legs and torso rather than relying on pulling on the car door (which could slam on your fingers---ouch!).

Focused Strength Training

Now that you have some ideas for functional training, let's talk about a more focused approach with traditional moves. Seated strength training is a great place to start if you're a beginner--there are many upper and lower body exercises you can do in a chair and, once you master these, you can move on to standing exercises to target balance, stability, strength and better functionality. If you're ready to get started, I've got a Seated Full Body Workout you can try at home. Be sure to check with your doctor before you begin any type of exercise program, especially if you're obese, are on any medications or have been diagnosed with any medical conditions.

Staying mobile and being able to function well on a daily basis can improve quality of life and, yes, help you lose weight. By practicing the very activities you struggle with, you can build strength and confidence to help you move forward and reach even higher with your goals.

==========================================

Seated Total Body Strength

great link and can be modified based on the fitness and strength and equipment. For example, you could use heavier dumbbells for the seated presses - just make sure you are using the proper weight bench for support.

The tubing - you could go from the lightest that is available at your health store to something more creative (bike innertubes) - just make sure you have that valves taken out and (wear safety goggles).

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blobeseexercise.htm

Latest posts