What book are you reading right now?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

LovelyLiz

Just Generosity by Ron Sider.

(I'm realizing maybe this is a thread for what *fiction* book you are reading right now. But you didn't say that, suckas! So I'm here with all my non-fiction books too... :p)

TwilightStarr

Creating Myself by Mia Tyler

I first learned of Mia Tyler when I was in high school, I saw her picture in a magazine and was so excited too see a rocker chick plus size model, since then she's done various things including VH1's Celebrity Fit Club but I never knew too much about her. So as I was looking at the book section of a local dollar store and saw this book I knew I had to have it and just from the first 20 or so pages I have read I already like it and have a feeling I am going to love it.

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
I just finished "Dexter is Delicious". Best Dexter book in a long time. I think Lindsay has found a way to get the series back on track. This is probably one of the more gruesome entries into the series, but it is also one of the funniest.

Lonely Dove

I just finished "Dexter is Delicious". Best Dexter book in a long time. I think Lindsay has found a way to get the series back on track. This is probably one of the more gruesome entries into the series, but it is also one of the funniest.
Dexter is awesome. I love them all :)

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
just finished reading A Rose For a Crown by Anne Easter Smith, a historical fiction novel about Richard III and now i'm gonna go back and re-read Shakespeare's version of Richard III

Bafta1

Northen Lights by Phillip Pullman ( one of the books the golden compass was based on) I picked it up for $2 and so far am getting well and truly sucked in
I love those books! Philip Pullman was a student at the same college as me in Oxford. (A long time before me though). They are so much better than the Harry Potter books, and so underrated too.

I don't know what I'm reading right now. A combination of things. But I suppose the most serious undertaking is Will Durant's History of Western Philosophy. I want something light!!! Anyone read the Girl with The Tattoos, or whatever it is? Is it good?

LovelyLiz

I don't know what I'm reading right now. A combination of things. But I suppose the most serious undertaking is Will Durant's History of Western Philosophy. I want something light!!! Anyone read the Girl with The Tattoos, or whatever it is? Is it good?
I love Will Durant! He's the one who wrote that line that everyone thinks Aristotle actually said, but really it's just such a good, brief summary of Aristotle's virtue ethics that people *wish* it came from him. ("We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Good times!) :)

Bafta1

I love Will Durant! He's the one who wrote that line that everyone thinks Aristotle actually said, but really it's just such a good, brief summary of Aristotle's virtue ethics that people *wish* it came from him. ("We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Good times!) :)
Citing a common misquote of Aristotle... You just made me swoon... :)

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
I'm reading "The Strain" by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. Actually, I'm reading this for the second time because the 2nd novel in the series just came out and I couldn't remember the plot of the first novel.

Now, that sounds like a backhanded compliment, but it isn't. I read the first novel while convalescing from the flu. I had something like a 102 degree fever the first time I read "The Strain". Reading it a second time really underlines how pan-fried my brain was at the time--I don't recall the plot, but I remember liking the novel.

del Torro and Hogan are a very odd-couple. Guillermo contributes original mythic set pieces while Hogan provides discursive Clancyesque lessons on technical details. For example, del Torro posits that the vampire apocalypse should occur during a eclipse; Hogan is compelled to break the narrative to explain the mechanics of lunar eclipses.

I won't suggest which approach is best. del Torro builds a compelling dreamscape; Hogan gives us a cold procedural explaining how autopsies work, and the workings of the CDC.

The Net Effect is chilling; Science Vs. Superstition. "The Strain" offers a moment by moment desorption of a world undone by its myths.

LovelyLiz

Citing a common misquote of Aristotle... You just made me swoon... :)
Well, I was so happy to see some more books I had actually heard of mentioned in this thread! Consider it a mutual swooning society... :D

fatgirlflyin

needs a vacation
The Lacuna By Barbara Kingsolver

I checked in a lady the other day who was reading this book and she couldn't stop raving about it so I picked it up. Its a good read, moves quickly and since I spent some time down in Mexico City it has things and places in the book that I have actually seen and been to which makes it even more interesting!

Next up for reading is Under the Dome by Stephen King.

AuntHen

Chicken Whisperer 🐔
DM Supporter
The Lacuna By Barbara Kingsolver

I checked in a lady the other day who was reading this book and she couldn't stop raving about it so I picked it up. Its a good read, moves quickly and since I spent some time down in Mexico City it has things and places in the book that I have actually seen and been to which makes it even more interesting!

Ooo that sounds good... I loved her "The Poisonwood Bible"... that book was just.... :(

fatgirlflyin

needs a vacation
Ooo that sounds good... I loved her "The Poisonwood Bible"... that book was just.... :(
I'll have to check that one out, I really like the way she writes so I imagine I'd enjoy other books by her as well.

superodalisque

rereading Walter Mosley's "White Butterfly". i love his cadence and characters. i love Easy Rollins because he's from the same generation as my father and reminds me of him quite a bit. i feel close to him, his politics, his outlook and experience again when i read the novels. also, nothing suits like a good mystery with unpredictable twists and turns in a black 1950s Watts and Compton atmosphere. its not ground gone over ad nauseam by other authors.

KHayes666

Go away
I am reading Stephen King's "Under The Dome"... (it is super thick... holy cow!)

I just bought "The Lovely Bones" today. I want to read it before I see the movie. So it is next on my list :happy:

Love to read when I get time:wubu:
wow....this was the first post and I missed it completely.

I loved Under The Dome

activistfatgirl

donuts at the finish line
I'm working through three: James Baldwin's Go Tell it On the Mountain, the third book in the Stiegg Larson trilogy, and the 12th in the Anita Blake vampire hunter series.

Varying degrees of literary appeal, there.

AmazingAmy

I'm working through three: James Baldwin's Go Tell it On the Mountain, the third book in the Stiegg Larson trilogy, and the 12th in the Anita Blake vampire hunter series.

Varying degrees of literary appeal, there.

I'm a bit way through the second one! You've reminded me I need to finish it; thanks. :)

activistfatgirl

donuts at the finish line

I'm a bit way through the second one! You've reminded me I need to finish it; thanks. :)
The first few are the best! Eventually it all gets far fetched, but I think I'll drag myself through them all, for I am anything but a quitter.

femaleseat

roses by Leila Meacham , great family saga, i was so sad when i finished it!!

anyone have any ideas for a good thick family saga ? or authors