What book are you reading right now?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
roses by Leila Meacham , great family saga, i was so sad when i finished it!!

anyone have any ideas for a good thick family saga ? or authors
I just finished reading Roses too. Very sad.

Have you ever read the Thorn Birds? Great book.

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
I'm working through three: James Baldwin's Go Tell it On the Mountain, the third book in the Stiegg Larson trilogy, and the 12th in the Anita Blake vampire hunter series.

Varying degrees of literary appeal, there.
I'm pretty sure that "Giovanni's Room" is the 13th or 14th Ian Flemming Bond Novel.

If you get this joke, please enter "Peter Gujer" in the groom section of your marriage certificate.

AmazingAmy

Just finished The Evil Seed by Joanne Harris. Took me damn long enough, but it dragged a little in the middle. Still, great story though, and a really subtle take on vampires.

Now to finish the rest of Sleep, Pale Sister!

Edens_heel

Just started Emma Donoghue's Room, written from the perspective of a five-year-old who has never left the small room in which he lives with his mother, who was abducted at an earlier age and kept in the room by a man identified at first only as "Old Nick." So far very unsettling, but quite excellent.

MissHoney

I'm currently reading Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey. I'm loving it and plan on reading the entire series.

superodalisque

i'm currently on a Walter Mosley run and i'm reading Black Betty after finishing White Butterfly and Fearless Jones.

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
wow....this was the first post and I missed it completely.

I loved Under The Dome
I am about 300 pages into it and am really enjoying it as well...

just finished Jonathan Franzens FREEDOM.....meh.....could have passed on this one

KHayes666

Go away
162-0: The Greatest Wins in Red Sox History.

One of the wins happened on June 15, 1992 with a 6 year old birthday boy in attendance...sure you can guess who that was lol

AmazingAmy

Ugh, I'm giving up on Sleep, Pale Sister; and because I Am Number Four isn't going to arrive until next week I've gone and bought By Midnight by Mia James today. Fucking love vampire fiction.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmazingAmy

Still reading By Midnight by Mia James, but thought I'd give an update to say it's amazing. Awesome British vampires in Highgate! I'm in Heaven.

Edens_heel

Just finished Emma Donoghue's Room.

For all the accolades, I'm not sure what I think. It was a fast, one-sitting read, so it was obviously engaging, but I felt cold to the characters because of two things:

The writing style: I respect the decision to write from the child's POV, but there was a lack of authenticity in his actions and reactions. I didn't buy the over-the-top inquisitive nature in the face of such an oppressive sonuvabitch as Old Nick. yes, he was shielded from reality in so many ways, but there were certain things that could not be hidden, and I think they would have severely dampened the spirit she wrote him with. As it stands, the mother was a far more believable character.

The tangential characters: they were written as to appear dumb and awkward to such an extreme that, once again, I didn't buy it at all.

I suppose my issues stem from only buying the mother as a genuine character. It's definitely a gutsy, interesting book, and I did enjoy it, but I wouldn't be so quick to call it a shoe-in for the Mann Booker prize, or any other's it's been nominated for.

Now reading China Meiville's Un Lun Dun - total palette cleanser after the darkness of Room.

AmazingAmy

Just finished Emma Donoghue's Room.

For all the accolades, I'm not sure what I think. It was a fast, one-sitting read, so it was obviously engaging, but I felt cold to the characters because of two things:

The writing style: I respect the decision to write from the child's POV, but there was a lack of authenticity in his actions and reactions. I didn't buy the over-the-top inquisitive nature in the face of such an oppressive sonuvabitch as Old Nick. yes, he was shielded from reality in so many ways, but there were certain things that could not be hidden, and I think they would have severely dampened the spirit she wrote him with. As it stands, the mother was a far more believable character.

The tangential characters: they were written as to appear dumb and awkward to such an extreme that, once again, I didn't buy it at all.

I suppose my issues stem from only buying the mother as a genuine character. It's definitely a gutsy, interesting book, and I did enjoy it, but I wouldn't be so quick to call it a shoe-in for the Mann Booker prize, or any other's it's been nominated for.

Now reading China Meiville's Un Lun Dun - total palette cleanser after the darkness of Room.

Thanks for this, Eden. I've been thinking of getting Room, but wasn't sure what to expect. Think I'm going to give it a go and see what I think.

Edens_heel

Thanks for this, Eden. I've been thinking of getting Room, but wasn't sure what to expect. Think I'm going to give it a go and see what I think.
My pleasure - I realize I'm likely the lone voice of dissent in this matter, and to be clear I did like it and respect what it tried to accopmlish, I just felt cold at the end of it all.

I would love to read what you think after reading it yourself!

Bafta1

I am reading The Holy Bible. Its on my life list to read the entire thing.
Good luck!!! I was doing fine with it until Jeremiah: that bit finished me off. Tell me when you've got through it!

mejix

meh
Finished Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. 8 out of 10

Halfway through The Crying of Lot 49. Meh. 5ish out of 10 Make that 4ish.

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
I am about 20% into the 4th novel of Dean Koontz Frakenstein series...THE lost souls

I am kinda perplexed ...it's as if it HAS NOTHING to do w/the first 3....:confused:

Also 600 pages into UNDER THE DOME, Stephen King, and it's continuing to be a great (but long) read....very THE STAND -esque

Edens_heel

I've decided yet another book industry attention-seeking whore is needed. With that, I present the beta of my book review/rant site: http://backlisted.blogspot.com/

Enjoy my soon-to-be-continuous stream of publishing-related diatribes (and comment are awesome too)

*end shameless plug*

Latest posts