Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Jigen

Italo Calvino, The Baron in the trees
Khaled Hosseini, The kite runner

Astarte

Sopivasti lihava
Steve Erikson: Gardens of the Moon
GRRM: Dreamsongs (audio book)
James A. Robinson, Daron Acemoğlu: Why Nations Fail (also audio book)
Astraterra (a roleplaying manual)
Elio Garcia, Linda Antonsson, George R. R. Martin: The World of Ice and Fire

I don't feel content if I don't have at least three books going at a time.

Jigen

I am currently reading Bleak House, by Charles Dickens. I think this is going to be a tough one.

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
Rereading The Brothers Karamazov, been probably 15 years since I read it and sections still stick in my mind.

Jigen

As soon as I ended Bleak House, I have immediately started Roger Ascham's Toxophilus. A school at shooting. Archery is one of my many loves, and this is one of the most iconic books about this topic.

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J Ryan Stadal. One of the most original reads I've had in a long time.

KHayes666

Go away
Christine by Stephen King

I saw the movie first, now to see if the book is better like 99% of the time when it comes to his work.

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated
Hmmm...I'm currently working on COLONEL ROOSEVELT by Edmund Morris.

Yes, I've always been a fan of Teddy and how many other presidents explored the Nile, went on African safaris where he shot lots of big and small critters, traveled Europe, launched a third political party, wrote 40 books, was shot by an assassin...survived the wound and STILL gave his speech?

Yes, Teddy was awesome...plus he visited my small upstate NY village in 1910!:happy:

LumpySmile

Gulf to Rockies: The Heritage of the Fort Worth and Denver - Colorado and Southern Railways, 1861-1898
by Richard C. Overton

One of the most meticulously researched, highly detailed, yet completely readable history books I've ever read, and I've read a LOT of railroad histories.
Adventure, intrigue, and drama, all hidden in a dusty old ex-library book I got for Christmas and haven't been able to put down.

pagan22

I'm often reading a lot of books at once, but the one I cracked open today is #11 in the young adult House of Night series. It's not written well and the character development sucks. I hate the heroine. Lol But the story itself is fresh and I'm enjoying that.

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
i just finished The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy Reichert.

canadianbbw4u

I will admit I am not a reader. I haven't finished a book in years and years. I always take one on holidays with me but I get distracted by watching people on the beach!
I recently watched 50 Shades of Grey. I didn't really know what it was about haha!! I watched it and then I was hooked. I got the next book for Christmas and finished it in no time so I downloaded the last book on my Ipad and read it in a week. I knew deep down it was going to turn out the way it did. Now I like reading! I need another book to get into.
Any suggestions? I am a sucker for a good love story.

Has anyone read the 50 shades Christians side of the story? Is it worth it?

MsBrightside

^Sorry, I can't help you with anything Fifty Shades-related as I've never read it.

What I'm reading:

The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy (one of Tad's favorite authors ;)). I've enjoyed several of his other works, but this one not so much--the main characters are pretty unlikeable.

I did like the descriptions of the heath and would argue that it's practically a character in its own right. I was also intrigued by the occupation of reddleman, which is apparently a sort of peddler with red-dyed clothes and skin that used to travel around supplying farmers with red ochre to mark their sheep.

However, the death of three of the characters was intrinsic to the plot, and I found myself wishing there had been a couple more fatalities, which isn't exactly a rousing recommendation.

Since I've made pretentious mention of a classic, I'll also admit to reading some lighter fare. Period romances aren't everyone's thing, but I like most of Carla Kelly's Regency novels. She even has a couple of heroes (such as Dr. Anthony Cook in Libby's London Merchant and Henry Tewkesbury-Hampton, the Marquess of Grayson in Miss Billings Treads the Boards) that are carrying around a few extra pounds, which is not that common but kind of nice. Dr. Cook even beats out a rich, conventionally handsome duke to marry the heroine. :) I also like The Wedding Journey, The Lady's Companion, and Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand.

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan.

ODFFA

Into The Magic Shop by James R Doty.

I utterly devoured this book. It was the first thing I've ever pre-ordered, and it's what I've always searched for in a non-fiction / (auto)biography -- a kind of balance between... realism and intuitiveness? To me, this seems like the rarest of worldviews and to see it so splendidly elucidated in the life of Dr Doty was a gift of huge personal significance. I feel like too much more eloquence would be a major disservice to it, so all that's left to say is.... THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST FREAKIN BOOKS I'VE EVER READ IN MY FREAKIN LIFE OMG.

Latest posts