What did you buy today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Shotha

DM Supporter
I bought a couple of nice denim shirts from Large Lad Clothing in Canada. It's hard to find good denim shirts in larger sizes at reasonable prices. I'm very happy with them.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
Today I bought a lot of clothes, meaning tons of clothes.

As far as I remember:
3 dresses, 2 pullover, 2 shirts, a pair of trousers, some lingerie, undies, bras, pajamas....

Was quite a shopping spree...

Tracyarts

I ordered some henna powder to color my hair. I haven't done it in several months and it needs a couple of applications to get the new growth to match the length.

Tracyarts

A 90-ish year old bottle of Coty L'origan perfume (bottle style dates from the 1920s to early 30s). I bid on it on impulse on Ebay not expecting to win, because I always bid pretty low, but did actually win this one. It should arrive by the end of next week, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it smells like. It'll be the oldest bottle I have in my collection (the next oldest is a mid 30s to early 40s L'origan). I would love to have a 100 year old bottle of L'origan, but I have yet to find one in my budget.

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
"A 90-ish year old bottle of Coty L'origan perfume (bottle style dates from the 1920s to early 30s). I bid on it on impulse on Ebay not expecting to win, because I always bid pretty low, but did actually win this one. It should arrive by the end of next week, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it smells like. It'll be the oldest bottle I have in my collection (the next oldest is a mid 30s to early 40s L'origan). I would love to have a 100 year old bottle of L'origan, but I have yet to find one in my budget."
Hmm....that's interesting, I find stuff like that sort of intriguing

What does the 60 year old bottle smell like? Do you suppose that's an accurate representation of what it once was? I would imagine there's not much difference between 100 and 90 years of aging, but I don't really know too much about it.

Tracyarts

My 1930s-1950s fragrances actually all smell very good. I mostly collect vintage fragrances (through the 1990s) and very few have gone off or started to smell unpleasant.

A lot of people say that fragrances "expire", but that's not really accurate. Depending on how they're stored (away from sunlight and high heat is best) fragrances can last decades. Sometimes the top notes will degrade. Either fade, get lost completely, or you only smell them for a few seconds after applying it. Citrus notes degrade over time and are very fragile. But the rest of the structure of the fragrance stays intact.

I really like two popular fragrances from Coty, that were in production from around the early 1900s to the early 2000s. Emeraude and L'origan. I have bottles of each from various decades. So it's easy to smell the 1920s, 30s, or 40s version and compare it to the 1990s version. And they are all recognizable as the same fragrance.

There's not much difference over the years unless fragrances get reformulated. Due to companies being bought out, changing materials regulations, and materials being harder to find, they do get reformulated. But not often.

I just like to collect vintage fragrances and enjoy having bottles from throughout the years.

Hmm....that's interesting, I find stuff like that sort of intriguing

What does the 60 year old bottle smell like? Do you suppose that's an accurate representation of what it once was? I would imagine there's not much difference between 100 and 90 years of aging, but I don't really know too much about it.

Tracyarts

And the 1920s perfume smells lovely. It has a bit of "old perfume mustiness" at first, but it is very old and wasn't an airtight sealed bottle. I'm happy with it. It's a little bit different from newer formulas because of age, deterioration, and old technology and raw materials sources. But recognizable as the same fragrance.

20200116_190706.jpg

Tracyarts

The main thing I bought over the weekend was a new comfy chair. A Lane "Gladiator" Comfort King rocker/recliner (power model). It hasn't been delivered yet, but I will review it once I've had it a bit. It's rated for 500 pounds, extra wide and extra long, and has a motorized reclining mechanism. I don't have the strength to use a manual recliner any longer, I can't push the leg rest down with my legs to get up. I thought about getting a power lift model but it was out of my price range. And I can still get up and out of a low chair without assistance, I really just needed help with the reclining function.

I had bought a supposed "heavy duty for big people" used recliner at a yard sale last week and while it was very much oversized and roomy, it wasn't heavy duty at all. My husband broke the leg rest off, like as in the metal actually cracked, trying to push it down with his foot so I could get up yesterday. So out to the curb it went and I immediately got online and researched truly "big people friendly" recliners and found this one in my price range.20200217_081841.jpg

Last edited:
Group builder