What Do You Collect?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Donna

call me jolly & I will sleigh you
What kind of things do you like to keep around you?

1. Books, of course. With the invention of e-readers, I don’t keep paperbacks or reference books any longer. However, I have a handful of signed and/or first edition hard backs of some of my favorite novels gifted to me in my youth.

2. Vinyl records. I have everything digital since the first iPods were introduced, but my older brother left me his LP collection. I inherited my love and tastes in music from Billy, so it’s very sentimental and precious to me.

3. Snow globes. I even have one with books in it. How meta is that? 😊

okay folks…share with the class….

Dust. 😋

But seriously, I don't really collect things anymore because, as I get older, I crave a simpler life and have really pared a lot of my possessions down. With that said, I guess the only collections I have left are a bunch of CDs and records because I like listening to music. I lost an entire library of digital music a few years ago, so I'll never get rid of the physical copies I have. I also have a small collection of electric and acoustic guitars, and I have a small collection of coins. Other than that, that's pretty much it! Oh, and I also have a lot of fishing rods, but I'm not sure if that really counts. lol

Donna

Dust. 😋

But seriously, I don't really collect things anymore because, as I get older, I crave a simpler life and have really pared a lot of my possessions down. With that said, I guess the only collections I have left are a bunch of CDs and records because I like listening to music. I lost an entire library of digital music a few years ago, so I'll never get rid of the physical copies I have. I also have a small collection of electric and acoustic guitars, and I have a small collection of coins. Other than that, that's pretty much it! Oh, and I also have a lot of fishing rods, but I'm not sure if that really counts. lol

When I created this thread, I thought for sure I would get the smart ass answer “dust” Because it’s something I would answer. Thank you for not disappointing me. 😉 I love the idea of minimalism, but I’m far too sentimental to put it into practice.

Do you have a particular favorite music genre you collect?

And fishing rods definitely count. Down here in the southern United States, fishing is practically an institution. Rods, reels, the different types of lines, the hooks, the tackle (I think that’s what they call those colorful doo-dads that go on the hooks with the bait) are all serious business.

When I created this thread, I thought for sure I would get the smart ass answer “dust” Because it’s something I would answer. Thank you for not disappointing me. 😉 I love the idea of minimalism, but I’m far too sentimental to put it into practice.

Do you have a particular favorite music genre you collect?

And fishing rods definitely count. Down here in the southern United States, fishing is practically an institution. Rods, reels, the different types of lines, the hooks, the tackle (I think that’s what they call those colorful doo-dads that go on the hooks with the bait) are all serious business.

Well, always count on me being a smart ass! 😋 Besides, as I always like to say: it's better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass! 😁

I mostly listen to classic rock, blues rock and prog rock from the 60s and 70s. I also listen to a lot of obscure and esoteric stuff from that era too, but unfortunately, I don't really have any records of the more obscure stuff. Most of those albums are either extremely valuable or just non-existent, so they're hard to find. Most of the obscure stuff I just listen to on YouTube or have some digital copies of. But I also listen to delta blues (was just listening to some Mississippi John Hurt earlier today), as well as a bit of reggae, jazz, bluegrass and classical. I've also been getting into Jamaican rocksteady from the 60s, as well as a bit of African jazz, funk and soul, and Peruvian cumbia rock from the 60s and 70s lately too. lol I have weird, eclectic tastes. 😋

But yep! I'm deep into the whole fishing thing. Been crazy about it since I was 2-years old. A lot of the stuff I own is moderately expensive to expensive, so I've really had to pull back on my spending. Besides, I already have enough gear to open up my own tackle shop, so I don't need anymore stuff. lol But even at that, I have pared back a lot of the fishing gear I used to have and everything I now own is stuff I regularly use. Just like everything else in my life now, if it doesn't get used within a one year, four season period, I have no use for it and it either gets sold off, given away, donated or recycled. But I believe the doo-dads you're referring to are called lures. 😊 But as the saying goes about how fisherman hoard tons of lures, and are always looking to buy the latest and greatest ones with flashy new colours: lures aren't made to catch the fish, they're made to catch the fisherman! 😜

Donna

Well, always count on me being a smart ass! 😋 Besides, as I always like to say: it's better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass! 😁

I mostly listen to classic rock, blues rock and prog rock from the 60s and 70s. I also listen to a lot of obscure and esoteric stuff from that era too, but unfortunately, I don't really have any records of the more obscure stuff. Most of those albums are either extremely valuable or just non-existent, so they're hard to find. Most of the obscure stuff I just listen to on YouTube or have some digital copies of. But I also listen to delta blues (was just listening to some Mississippi John Hurt earlier today), as well as a bit of reggae, jazz, bluegrass and classical. I've also been getting into Jamaican rocksteady from the 60s, as well as a bit of African jazz, funk and soul, and Peruvian cumbia rock from the 60s and 70s lately too. lol I have weird, eclectic tastes. 😋

But yep! I'm deep into the whole fishing thing. Been crazy about it since I was 2-years old. A lot of the stuff I own is moderately expensive to expensive, so I've really had to pull back on my spending. Besides, I already have enough gear to open up my own tackle shop, so I don't need anymore stuff. lol But even at that, I have pared back a lot of the fishing gear I used to have and everything I now own is stuff I regularly use. Just like everything else in my life now, if it doesn't get used within a one year, four season period, I have no use for it and it either gets sold off, given away, donated or recycled. But I believe the doo-dads you're referring to are called lures. 😊 But as the saying goes about how fisherman hoard tons of lures, and are always looking to buy the latest and greatest ones with flashy new colours: lures aren't made to catch the fish, they're made to catch the fisherman! 😜

Well hello fellow smart ass, music lover, and fisherman. I do love some blues myself, from Bessie Smith & Etta James to Bonnie Raitt & Shemekia Copeland, from ZZ Hill to Kenny Wayne Shepherd. I tend more toward what I think they call electric blues. My inherited LP album collection is fairly eclectic. I tend to stick with the rock of the 70s through the early 00s, but it’s also not unusual to see Debussy & Handel playing alongside new age artists like Enya & Loreena McKennit.

Those lures (I still prefer doo-dads) sound interesting. I had a smart ass retort about all men being attracted to flashy & bright colored things, but lost it while I was extolling the virtues of the blues.😊

Well hello fellow smart ass, music lover, and fisherman. I do love some blues myself, from Bessie Smith & Etta James to Bonnie Raitt & Shemekia Copeland, from ZZ Hill to Kenny Wayne Shepherd. I tend more toward what I think they call electric blues. My inherited LP album collection is fairly eclectic. I tend to stick with the rock of the 70s through the early 00s, but it’s also not unusual to see Debussy & Handel playing alongside new age artists like Enya & Loreena McKennit.

Those lures (I still prefer doo-dads) sound interesting. I had a smart ass retort about all men being attracted to flashy & bright colored things, but lost it while I was extolling the virtues of the blues.😊

Oh, nice! So, you like fishing too? That's pretty cool! Sadly, and this is not an exaggeration or hyperbole whatsoever, but it's an extreme rarity to find women who are into fishing where I am. Finding a woman who is into fishing up here is about as rare as finding a wad of $100 bills in a box of Corn Flakes. lol 🙁 So, what do you like to fish for? 🙂 But well, there's doo-dads and thingamajigs as well...with an emphasis on jigs. 😋

I collect cameras.

Cool. Film cameras, I'm assuming? I've been having (and been somewhat resisting) an urge to get back into film and to collect some cameras myself. I just miss shooting with film. I want to get into shooting black & white film, and I could see having different rangefinders, SLRs and folding medium format cameras from the 1930s through the 70s..but that would also go against my move toward fewer possessions, so it's a bit of a conundrum. lol I still have a couple of modern SLR bodies I'll probably get rid of, but I also have an Olympus Trip 35 I want to get going, but it needs a minor repair.

What kind of cameras do you have in your collection?

Joker

Cool. Film cameras, I'm assuming? I've been having (and been somewhat resisting) an urge to get back into film and to collect some cameras myself. I just miss shooting with film. I want to get into shooting black & white film, and I could see having different rangefinders, SLRs and folding medium format cameras from the 1930s through the 70s..but that would also go against my move toward fewer possessions, so it's a bit of a conundrum. lol I still have a couple of modern SLR bodies I'll probably get rid of, but I also have an Olympus Trip 35 I want to get going, but it needs a minor repair.

What kind of cameras do you have in your collection?
Huge.

Donna

Oh, nice! So, you like fishing too? That's pretty cool! Sadly, and this is not an exaggeration or hyperbole whatsoever, but it's an extreme rarity to find women who are into fishing where I am. Finding a woman who is into fishing up here is about as rare as finding a wad of $100 bills in a box of Corn Flakes. lol 🙁 So, what do you like to fish for? 🙂 But well, there's doo-dads and thingamajigs as well...with an emphasis on jigs. 😋

I haven’t been fishing recently, but I enjoyed going with an ex. I never could bait my own hook, but I enjoyed the peacefulness of going out on the lake in his boat or throwing our lines out from the dock. Even took me deep sea fishing in the Gulf once, but I mostly just watched the guys fish. I’m generally a chatty chick, but put a pole in my hand and I suddenly become very quiet.

Joker

I haven’t been fishing recently, but I enjoyed going with an ex. I never could bait my own hook, but I enjoyed the peacefulness of going out on the lake in his boat or throwing our lines out from the dock. Even took me deep sea fishing in the Gulf once, but I mostly just watched the guys fish. I’m generally a chatty chick, but put a pole in my hand and I suddenly become very quiet.
"I’m generally a chatty chick, but put a pole in my hand and I suddenly become very quiet. " I will now just grin internally at what my perverted brain just did.

Hmmmmmmm... 🤔

You got a Nikon SP? A Canon IIa? A Leica M3? A Nikon F w/pentaprism attachment? A Canon F1? A Pentax Spotmatic F? A Certo Super Six? An Agfa Super Isolette? A Hasselblad 500 C? ;)

Haha. Fishing really can be a peaceful and even zen-like pastime. I just enjoy the challenge, being out in nature and connecting with the natural world. It's so soothing and relaxing. It's one of the things I love to do to get away from it all and unwind. Some of my fondest memories have come while fishing. I've never been deep sea fishing, but I could see how it could be addictive too! I hope you get to go fishing again sometime soon! It really is a lot of fun. 🙂

Donna

"I’m generally a chatty chick, but put a pole in my hand and I suddenly become very quiet. " I will now just grin internally at what my perverted brain just did.

You know, for as many double entendres as I’ve been known to drop, leave it to you to comment on the rare occasion that it wasn’t dropped on purpose. Pervert 😈

Funtastic curves

I collect clowns.

I use to collect bags. My bag collection was a mixture of gift bags, store bags and novelty. Every time I go out of town or visit a new store I collected a bag. When I worked at the mall I had regular customers that would bring me bags from their vacations.
I stopped collecting bags when my house caught on fire and destroyed my collection.

Donna

Haha. Fishing really can be a peaceful and even zen-like pastime. I just enjoy the challenge, being out in nature and connecting with the natural world. It's so soothing and relaxing. It's one of the things I love to do to get away from it all and unwind. Some of my fondest memories have come while fishing. I've never been deep sea fishing, but I could see how it could be addictive too! I hope you get to go fishing again sometime soon! It really is a lot of fun. 🙂

Bodies of water seem to connect with me in a quirky spiritual way. Probably why I enjoyed fishing so much. There’s a large pond and a stream that runs along the outskirts of the property where I live. When the world seems to get to be “too much”, I wheel myself out there and spend some time just being present. It’s probably one the few times I don’t need music somewhere in the background to make me feel grounded.

Thank you Fair Princess.
Damn right. Now kiss my tiara! 😝

I collect clowns.

I use to collect bags. My bag collection was a mixture of gift bags, store bags and novelty. Every time I go out of town or visit a new store I collected a bag. When I worked at the mall I had regular customers that would bring me bags from their vacations.
I stopped collecting bags when my house caught on fire and destroyed my collection.

A childhood trip to the Bozo Show and Stephen King soured me on clowns. It’s weird the things that sometimes trigger us, eh?