What do you like to make that is homemade that is easy and delicious?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

da3ley

For me that would be arepas ,, and flour tortillas. The flour tortillas are amazing with fried eggs, pork green chile, or red hamburger chile, with pintos and some jalapenos. The arepas are great stuffed with cheese,

Reactions: Tad

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Pizza. My wife likes New York style pizza with a really thin crust. I managed to dig up a recipe (for crackers!) that makes a micro-thin crust which she loves. Pizza isn't quick -- what with the dough rising, and pre-baking the crust so it doesn't get soggy -- but it's so easy that we don't order out for it any more.

Tad

mostly harmless
This one is kind of time consuming, but easy enough that even I can do it, and very good fall/winter comfort food.

Basically it comes down to boiling meatballs in beef broth, then boiling cut up potatoes in that same broth and using some of that broth when you mash the taters, and simmer down the rest to make gravy (there will be enough fat from the meatballs and starch from the potatoes that you won't need much flour or corn starch to thicken it. The mashed potatoes get a yummy rich beef flavour, and you have gravy to pour on everything.

It just takes a bit of time to mix up the meat mixture and roll out all the meatballs, then to boil first the meatballs and then the potatoes.

AmyJo1976

DM Supporter
This one is kind of time consuming, but easy enough that even I can do it, and very good fall/winter comfort food.

Basically it comes down to boiling meatballs in beef broth, then boiling cut up potatoes in that same broth and using some of that broth when you mash the taters, and simmer down the rest to make gravy (there will be enough fat from the meatballs and starch from the potatoes that you won't need much flour or corn starch to thicken it. The mashed potatoes get a yummy rich beef flavour, and you have gravy to pour on everything.

It just takes a bit of time to mix up the meat mixture and roll out all the meatballs, then to boil first the meatballs and then the potatoes.
Doesn't sound easy, but really tasty!

SSBHM

This thread is dangerous! It could inspire me to spend all my time in the kitchen. I'd have to categorize my lists of what I like to make by meal segment and meal time. Gosh, I'm drooling!

Pre-break

Shepherd's Pie! Not my pic, but pretty much the way I make it. Hamburger, peas, carrots, and sweet corn topped with mashed potatoes browned just enough :D
Where's the cheese?
I always put a layer of velveta cheese between the meat and potatos, and on top of course too!

AmyJo1976

DM Supporter
This thread is dangerous! It could inspire me to spend all my time in the kitchen. I'd have to categorize my lists of what I like to make by meal segment and meal time. Gosh, I'm drooling!

Pre-break

Where's the cheese?
I always put a layer of velveta cheese between the meat and potatos, and on top of course too!
I never thought of that amazingly, I just went off my aunt's recipe. I'll have to try it sometime! thanks Chuck :)

Funtastic curves

Pre-break

Where's the cheese?
My cousin gave me this recipe years ago. It includes cheese. It's a great quick and easy go to dish that's so yummy.

SSBHM

I never thought of that amazingly, I just went off my aunt's recipe. I'll have to try it sometime! thanks Chuck :)
Stay close to me and you'll never worry about getting skinny. :)

Now should I suggest some dessert recipes?

extra_m13

a nice sandwich or a homemade hot dog with a nice sausage... that could be really good if there is some love in the preparation

Orchid

Puff pastry with salmon filling. Can of salmon drained. Add seasonings of choice: mine are a little olive oil, pepper, dill, a little lemon juice, spoon of capers drained,seasalt few drops hot pepper sauce and mix with a fork.
Cut slightly defrosted puff pastry into 2" by 2" squares. Pre-heat oven.
On a baking sheet add baking paper. Place puff pastry square on baking paper add a spoon of filling in center leave edges empty cover with another square of puff pastry. Press edges with fork to seal. Prick some holes on top of pastries with the fork bake in a hot oven 220C according to package directions and how your oven works. Bake until golden brown and puffy.Mine bake in 17 minutes. Do not overbrown. Is also nice as appetizer, finger food.
Other types : cheese that melts, paprika powder and pepper. Tuna with seasonings. Minced beef pan fried with chopped onions and seasonings. Drain of liquid. Mix of beef mince must be quite dry to avoid soggy pastry.
You can also do a sweet variety of this thin slices apple with a little sugar mixed with cinnamon powder .
I often keep pastry in the freezer so I can make these regularly.
When my family eats a heavy noodle/pork disk which I have no digestion for, I can not eat that anymore, so then this is a quick to make substitute dinner.

BouncingBoy

Formerly known as Dragorat
I just whipped up a batch of Veggie Beef soup.It has hamburger,carrots,potatoes,peas,corn & tomatoes.Always comes out good....:)

AmyJo1976

DM Supporter
I just whipped up a batch of Veggie Beef soup.It has hamburger,carrots,potatoes,peas,corn & tomatoes.Always comes out good....:)
Wow! I've never had it with hamburger? I've always made it with roast. I will definitely have to give that a try, it sounds really good! :D

BigElectricKat

Are you intelligent?
Staff member
Global Moderator
fluffernutter-2-720x475.jpg
Fluffernutters!!! Peanut butter on one slice, marshmallow fluff on the other. This right here is heaven on bread! And let me tell you, it goes great with saltine crackers, bagels, or waffles!

AmyJo1976

DM Supporter
I'll tell you what, you named it, so that's what I'm going to call it. The next time I make vegetable soup, it will be with hamburger! :D

Group builder