What food makes you sick to your stomach?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Paquito

don't July to me
Maybe that's why I don't like white people, they're made of mayonnaise...
srs conversation

JulieD

Hey, I said "like racism" I was drawing a specific comparison.

The example is like this:

You try food, then you like it. You continue eating it until someone says it has mayo in it.
You then respond with disgust. "Ew! This has mayo!? Disgusting!" And never eat it again.

It's like getting to know someone online, without ever seeing their face. You like them, and they seem like a nice person, so you continue talking with them.
Then you find out what they look like by picture or whatever, and find out they are Asian, and proceed to respond with "Ew. I didn't know you were ASIAN!" and proceed to block them and break all contact with them.

Those factors mean nothing to the actual situation or how the food/person is, and judging like that is stupid. Granted, it's a extreme comparison, but at the time I couldn't think of any less extreme one that was just as apt a comparison.

But now that I think of it, it's a lot like enjoying a song a lot, then finding out it's by a band you "don't like" and then you never listen to the song again. It's just stupid. Things should stand on the merits of what they are, not based on prejudice, in any situation.

Will, its mayonnaise...no, seriously...its a condiment...

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
Will, its mayonnaise...no, seriously...its a condiment...

I fully understand that. But it wasn't the mayo that was the big thing, it was the hating of any food containing it no matter how good it tasted or even if the mayo was undetectable. This could be about anything, not just ingredients in food. I'm not just being stubborn or arguing for the sake of argument. I don't think there's even anything to argue. I just think there's a point where something like that is ridiculous, and dismissing something that's perfectly fine to you out of hand like that is just silly.

JulieD

I fully understand that. But it wasn't the mayo that was the big thing, it was the hating of any food containing it no matter how good it tasted or even if the mayo was undetectable. This could be about anything, not just ingredients in food. I'm not just being stubborn or arguing for the sake of argument. I don't think there's even anything to argue. I just think there's a point where something like that is ridiculous, and dismissing something that's perfectly fine to you out of hand like that is just silly.

Will, you are going to be known as the boy who stuck up for the mayo rights...seriously, before you start to go into how the mayo has feelings that it is being looked over in this prejudice condiment society of ours...just think about it. Honey, its just mayo...let it go...I know its going to be tough, but trust me, the mayo has no idea how hard you are not arguing on its behalf over a fake mayo racism...let it be a miracle whip, and unsqueeze the new squeezable bottles, and let just kraft a way to get the helmans out of here...

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
Will, you are going to be known as the boy who stuck up for the mayo rights...seriously, before you start to go into how the mayo has feelings that it is being looked over in this prejudice condiment society of ours...just think about it. Honey, its just mayo...let it go...I know its going to be tough, but trust me, the mayo has no idea how hard you are not arguing on its behalf over a fake mayo racism...let it be a miracle whip, and unsqueeze the new squeezable bottles, and let just kraft a way to get the helmans out of here...

It isn't about the mayo. I get that you're just making a big joke out of the fact that mayo was the specific thing used here, but my point is applied to any other thing. I used the music example, too. My point itself hasn't been addressed, and with good reason, because I'm not sure there's even an argument to be made. I understand you're trying to make the jokes to stop the line of conversation, but the fact that you're completely missing the point isn't doing that.

Anyone who's saying "I can't believe he's arguing about mayo" is missing the entire reason I bothered posting about it. The mayo had nothing to do with what I was saying beyond being the example being used.

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
I think the point was lost when you compared condiment choice to racism.

1. It wasn't condiment choice that I was comparing. The point was about nonsensical prejudice about literally anything, just using the mayo as an example because it was what was initially brought up.

2. The entire point of the comparison to racism was to make the point clearer by magnifying it to an extreme example. I can't imagine that fact was actually lost on anyone, because there are too many smart people on this forum not to get it, you included.

I would love for someone to have actually understood what I was saying instead of thinking I was going off on some stupid tangent about how mayo deserves rights or some stupid shit. I know that the people on this forum are smart enough to get it, including both you and Julie. I've seen you all be too smart to be dumb enough not to get it.

Goreki

Fairy tales and Woe
I used to love the idea of ceaser salad... until i saw it was full of icky ANCHOVIES!!!! EW EW EW EW EW!!!

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
i use to love hot dogs, but then i found out what was in them...
:D

Why? It's not like you can actually TASTE THE cats in the hot dogs. Just keep eating them pussy.

And JUST bringing up a small editors note will, the caesar dressing is not supposed to be made with sardines, it's supposed to be anchovis. Which, by the way, actual, real, true to life anchovies are just about impossible to get your hands on. Just sharing the knowledge.

Paquito

don't July to me
Stupid outraged person: "SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE"

Me: "Chill bitch, you can't taste the human, get over it. Don't let it ruin that perfectly nice sandwich."

Zowie

Zowie-Zilla
Why? It's not like you can actually TASTE THE cats in the hot dogs. Just keep eating them pussy.

And JUST bringing up a small editors note will, the caesar dressing is not supposed to be made with sardines, it's supposed to be anchovis. Which, by the way, actual, real, true to life anchovies are just about impossible to get your hands on. Just sharing the knowledge.

How so? What about the tinned ones?

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
I used to love the idea of ceaser salad... until i saw it was full of icky ANCHOVIES!!!! EW EW EW EW EW!!!

Gah. Thanks. I typed anchovies first, but then thought I was wrong and doubled back on myself. I'll remember that for the next time. Thanks.

And you know, I knew the jokes would happen, but couldn't the actual point be acknowledged at least once first?

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy
Gah. Thanks. I typed anchovies first, but then thought I was wrong and doubled back on myself. I'll remember that for the next time. Thanks.

And you know, I knew the jokes would happen, but couldn't the actual point be acknowledged at least once first?

i understand the point and i think it's all mental honestly.

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts

i understand the point and i think it's all mental honestly.

Thanks for acknowledging it, but Julie said that before, too. The big point is that mental or not, such a thing shouldn't matter when eating food you like, or listening to music you enjoy, or anything else really. Just because you don't like some individual thing like a band or a specific ingredient doesn't mean, IMO, that you should dismiss every single song played by a band or every food using that ingredient and never being open to being pleasantly surprised by something if it were to come up and actually be good, especially if you liked it before you even knew. That was my big problem with the original story. He didn't have a problem with the food until he found out it had that one ingredient in it, and then he decided he hated it and it made him sick.

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy
Thanks for acknowledging it, but Julie said that before, too. The big point is that mental or not, such a thing shouldn't matter when eating food you like, or listening to music you enjoy, or anything else really. Just because you don't like some individual thing like a band or a specific ingredient doesn't mean, IMO, that you should dismiss every single song played by a band or every food using that ingredient and never being open to being pleasantly surprised by something if it were to come up and actually be good, especially if you liked it before you even knew.

i hate raw onions with a passion but FUCKING LOVE fried onions. any difference there?

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
i hate raw onions with a passion but FUCKING LOVE fried onions. any difference there?

Yeah. In fact, that helps my point. It would be like you categorically dismissing the fried onions because they were onions, but worse, because in this version, you only find out they're onions later, after you've already tried and liked them.

Imagine taking someone who hates sour cream, then you use some in a cake recipe, which happens, and they enjoy the cake, but then you tell them, and they immediately stop eating it, not because the cake was bad in any way, in fact, they liked it, but because it has that ingredient in it. That's what I'm talking about. I'm not saying they have no right to do so. I'm just calling it out as being dumb and dismissive for no good reason.

I'll add here what I edited in to my last post because you got there before I did it:

EDIT: That was my big problem with the original story. He didn't have a problem with the food until he found out it had that one ingredient in it, and then he decided he hated it and it made him sick.