What food makes you sick to your stomach?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

JulieD

Thanks for acknowledging it, but Julie said that before, too. The big point is that mental or not, such a thing shouldn't matter when eating food you like, or listening to music you enjoy, or anything else really. Just because you don't like some individual thing like a band or a specific ingredient doesn't mean, IMO, that you should dismiss every single song played by a band or every food using that ingredient and never being open to being pleasantly surprised by something if it were to come up and actually be good, especially if you liked it before you even knew. That was my big problem with the original story. He didn't have a problem with the food until he found out it had that one ingredient in it, and then he decided he hated it and it made him sick.

Then say it for what it is...people opinions change when they find out what things are made of...people included...I use to like said person, then I realized they are an asshole, and now I don't like them...
I use to like said food, but then I realized that it was made from mayo, and now I don't like it
Why pull the race card when its not about race? Its about what food/people are made of...if you are going to spend so much time and energy NOT arguing, then at least understand what you are not arguing about...

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy
Yeah. In fact, that helps my point. It would be like you categorically dismissing the fried onions because they were onions, but worse, because in this version, you only find out they're onions later, after you've already tried and liked them.

Imagine taking someone who hates sour cream, then you use some in a cake recipe, which happens, and they enjoy the cake, but then you tell them, and they immediately stop eating it, not because the cake was bad in any way, in fact, they liked it, but because it has that ingredient in it. That's what I'm talking about. I'm not saying they have no right to do so. I'm just calling it out as being dumb and dismissive for no good reason.

I'll add here what I edited in to my last post because you got there before I did it:

EDIT: That was my big problem with the original story. He didn't have a problem with the food until he found out it had that one ingredient in it, and then he decided he hated it and it made him sick.

you just answered your whole debate about the mayo. lol it's all mental whether it be sillyness to do so or not.

my point about the onions is my dad use to always cook cheesestakes when i was younger and always had fried onions with them. i loved the fried onions so when i got my first hamburger with raw onions i hated it. although texture probably played a big role but it was the same food either way i liked it before but why not know?

it's all mental and you can't really judge people for that because you can't help that. only they can change their mental views of something.

unless of course you're batshit crazy and meds change your chemical values and shit.

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
Then say it for what it is...people opinions change when they find out what things are made of...people included...I use to like said person, then I realized they are an asshole, and now I don't like them...
I use to like said food, but then I realized that it was made from mayo, and now I don't like it
Why pull the race card when its not about race? Its about what food/people are made of...if you are going to spend so much time and energy NOT arguing, then at least understand what you are not arguing about...

No, that ISN'T it at all.

This is disliking something for no good reason.

Disliking a person that you used to like because they became or showed themselves to be an asshole is comparable to disliking a hotdog because someone added mayo as a condiment. Something obvious was placed over the thing you did like that made you dislike it. With the hotdog it was adding a condiment that ruined it for you outright, with the person it revealed a personality trait that made you not like the person outright. This is not what I'm saying

I'm saying disliking a food you used to like because you found out the finished product, that you still like, contained an ingredient you don't normally like in other cases, is like liking a person right up until you find out they are a race that you have a prejudice about. Neither the ingredient nor the race does anything to actually affect the way to food tastes or the way the person is, and it is simply stupid to categorically dismiss the food or the person for such a reason.

Paquito

don't July to me

IT'S JUST FUCKING FOOD. Oh my God, it is just fucking food. It's a matter of opinion, taste, and mentality. Who the fuck cares about someone else's eating habits so much? Honestly, his eating habits don't negatively impact your life. Because it's fucking food.

Gentle Savage, idgaf if you don't ever eat anything with mayonnaise in it ever again. I don't care if you get a restraining order against Hellman's. Or if you do the same with anchovies. Or butter. Or WHO THE FUCK CARES IT'S FUCKING FOOD THIS IS NOT A SERIOUS ISSUE PEOPLE NOR DOES IT REFLECT ON ONE'S INTELLIGENCE

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
you just answered your whole debate about the mayo. lol it's all mental whether it be sillyness to do so or not.

my point about the onions is my dad use to always cook cheesestakes when i was younger and always had fried onions with them. i loved the fried onions so when i got my first hamburger with raw onions i hated it. although texture probably played a big role but it was the same food either way i liked it before but why not know?

it's all mental and you can't really judge people for that because you can't help that. only they can change their mental views of something.

unless of course you're batshit crazy and meds change your chemical values and shit.

Well, not exactly. See with onions it's different. Fried onions are going to have a totally different taste and flavor to raw onions. You didn't like one but you liked the other. And you actually tried both and let them stand alone on their own. In the mayo example, he dismisses all food with mayo in it regardless of how much mayo or how much it actually plays a role int he food and regardless of how good the food actually is. That's what I'm calling out. It would be like you dismissing all foods that have onions used in them in any amount at any level of cooking because you don't like raw onions,which would be, is, and will continue to be completely stupid.

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy
Well, not exactly. See with onions it's different. Fried onions are going to have a totally different taste and flavor to raw onions. You didn't like one but you liked the other. And you actually tried both and let them stand alone on their own. In the mayo example, he dismisses all food with mayo in it regardless of how much mayo or how much it actually plays a role int he food and regardless of how good the food actually is. That's what I'm calling out. It would be like you dismissing all foods that have onions used in them in any amount at any level of cooking because you don't like raw onions,which would be, is, and will continue to be completely stupid.

i understand it's stupid to judge the mayo now that he knows what's in it, but seriously what part of it's mental do you not understand? that's the point i'm trying to make. he doesn't want to eat anything with mayo in it because of the fact that what's in the mayo. why is that? because he's freaked about it and it's in his head. even though he knows he liked the mayo before he found out. that's all there is to it. and nobody is going to be able to change his views about it by calling him stupid for not liking mayo anymore. he's going to have to get over it by accepting the fact that what's in the mayo and then the mental factor will go away.

Paquito

don't July to me
This:
i understand it's stupid to judge the mayo now that he knows what's in it, but seriously what part of it's mental do you not understand? that's the point i'm trying to make. he doesn't want to eat anything with mayo in it because of the fact that what's in the mayo. why is that? because he's freaked about it and it's in his head. even though he knows he liked the mayo before he found out. that's all there is to it. and nobody is going to be able to change his views about it by calling him stupid for not liking mayo anymore. he's going to have to get over it by accepting the fact that what's in the mayo and then the mental factor will go away.
is how to make this point:
without sounding like an elitist, judgmental asshat.

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts

Well, I never called him stupid for not liking mayo, I called the position of not liking the mayo that he didn't know was there stupid. And I know it sounds "elitist" and like I'm splitting hairs here, but that is a big difference. I accept the mental thing. I never said that wasn't true, and I never called him stupid as a person in any way. But thank you, because you're the only one who actually responded reasonably to any of my posts.

And clearly, especially by example of Paquito's other post up there, this has just gotten silly. I just made a point that I thought would be clear, and then when it wasn't a clear as I'd hoped, responded to the replies back to me. It was never any skin off my neck to state my point, nor does it affect me. He can go ahead and never eat anything with mayo in it. I never told him he couldn't. I just said he shouldn't dismiss everything offhand like that, and then explained why. Really the only reason it went on so long was no one really ever responded to what was actually being said right up until now. I don't think anyone should necessarily count my posts responding to people as caring so much about any one person's eating habits, because that's not what the replies were. I was just calling out something I thought should be thought about. Why would anyone dismiss all foods based on one ingredient (allergies excluded) especially if you had enjoyed the food before? I'm noting that doing so is ridiculous, and even if it's a mental thing, it's still ridiculous. Even if I took the discussion seriously, it doesn't mean it's a serious, life-altering issue. I just like to actually try to develop intelligent discourse, which can come from any topic, and thought I'd found something to go on. Sorry to anyone (or everyone) who thought I was just trying to be argumentative, or thought I was making as big deal out of something that doesn't matter, because that may have been what you thought I was doing or what you interpreted my posts as, but that was not the intent. And as for that very last line of that post, Paquito, I never, not once, insulted anyone's intelligence. I called the idea that I was addressing stupid, but I never once called any individual person a stupid person, and I never said anyone was not intelligent, in fact, I believe I spent one post specifying that I do find the posters on this forum intelligent. The goal wasn't to incite any anger over such a small thing. Sorry if it did. I'll try not to sound so "judgemental" or "elitist" next time I try to make a point.

Oh, and sorry for the wall of text. tl:dr I'm sorry, I'm done, and I'll try to be better at not being a dick next time.

FishCharming

derailer extraordinaire!
Well, I never called him stupid for not liking mayo, I called the position of not liking the mayo that he didn't know was there stupid. And I know it sounds "elitist" and like I'm splitting hairs here, but that is a big difference. I accept the mental thing. I never said that wasn't true, and I never called him stupid as a person in any way. But thank you, because you're the only one who actually responded reasonably to any of my posts.

And clearly, especially by example of Paquito's other post up there, this has just gotten silly. I just made a point that I thought would be clear, and then when it wasn't a clear as I'd hoped, responded to the replies back to me. It was never any skin off my neck to state my point, nor does it affect me. He can go ahead and never eat anything with mayo in it. I never told him he couldn't. I just said he shouldn't dismiss everything offhand like that, and then explained why. Really the only reason it went on so long was no one really ever responded to what was actually being said right up until now. I don't think anyone should necessarily count my posts responding to people as caring so much about any one person's eating habits, because that's not what the replies were. I was just calling out something I thought should be thought about. Why would anyone dismiss all foods based on one ingredient (allergies excluded) especially if you had enjoyed the food before? I'm noting that doing so is ridiculous, and even if it's a mental thing, it's still ridiculous. Even if I took the discussion seriously, it doesn't mean it's a serious, life-altering issue. I just like to actually try to develop intelligent discourse, which can come from any topic, and thought I'd found something to go on. Sorry to anyone (or everyone) who thought I was just trying to be argumentative, or thought I was making as big deal out of something that doesn't matter, because that may have been what you thought I was doing or what you interpreted my posts as, but that was not the intent. And as for that very last line of that post, Paquito, I never, not once, insulted anyone's intelligence. I called the idea that I was addressing stupid, but I never once called any individual person a stupid person, and I never said anyone was not intelligent, in fact, I believe I spent one post specifying that I do find the posters on this forum intelligent. The goal wasn't to incite any anger over such a small thing. Sorry if it did. I'll try not to sound so "judgemental" or "elitist" next time I try to make a point.

Oh, and sorry for the wall of text. tl:dr I'm sorry, I'm done, and I'll try to be better at not being a dick next time.

Will i'm not calling you a douchebag right now, i'm calling your obsessive need to seem intellectual by trying to make people sound foolish is douchebaggy.

Everyone knew exactly what you were trying to say, they just kept going to fuck with you, AND IT WAS HILARIOUS! i bet you were sitting in your dorm room crying out of frustration!

Ultimately, Will, NO ONE cares about what you have to say. you go on these constant rants about the stupidest shit and NO ONE CARES.

So here's a bit of advice: Never say never... to self-censorship.

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
Will i'm not calling you a douchebag right now, i'm calling your obsessive need to seem intellectual by trying to make people sound foolish is douchebaggy.

Everyone knew exactly what you were trying to say, they just kept going to fuck with you, AND IT WAS HILARIOUS! i bet you were sitting in your dorm room crying out of frustration!

Ultimately, Will, NO ONE cares about what you have to say. you go on these constant rants about the stupidest shit and NO ONE CARES.

So here's a bit of advice: Never say never... to self-censorship.

Well, not really. For one thing, I'm not in my dorm room, but for the other, all I ever did was respond to responses to me seriously. Sure it bugged me a little that no one else wanted to respond seriously, but if I cried in frustration every time someone decided to double back the dickishness in the form of passive-aggressive jokes instead of addressing anything I actually said, then I'd be dehydrated. People can't seem to understand that just because I take something seriously, it doesn't mean that I'm emotionally invested in it in any way. I can't help it if no one else cares, but that doesn't mean I have to stoop to that level. If that gave you a cheap laugh, fine.

Buffetbelly

Nosh, destroyer of snacks
mayonnaise_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

colbert_mayo.jpg

hipstermayo-thumb-400x654.jpg

GentleSavage

I don't bite too much...
That's odd to stop eating something that you had eaten just because of one ingredient that was apparently negligible enough that you had to be told it was there.

I mean, I never liked fish or anchovies or sardines, but I like caesar salad and that dressing has sardines in it typically. I didn't know at first, but when I learned that, it never made me adverse to eating that, because I'd enjoyed it previously. How could the simple idea of an ingredient being present ruin food for you if the taste and texture are fine and the food is safe?

It's because I wasn't thinking about it before. Once I knew mayo was in there, it was all I could taste. It was purely a psychological thing.

I'm not a picky eater by any means, but mayo just freaks me right the F out. I compare it to, even though in reality it isn't anything like it, to a vegetarian eating meat, when that person didn't think he/she was. It may have tasted good before they found out what it was, but they thought they were eating something else. Afterwards they would probably feel disgusted.

I guess I'm like a kid with veggies, but only with mayo. If you hide it and don't mention it, i'm fine. But if I can figure it out, then the whole meal is ruined for me.

GentleSavage

I don't bite too much...
Wow. I honestly didn't think my two cents would spark a discussion like this...

It's just food. So what if I don't like one ingredient in a sandwich or whatever that makes me stop enjoying it. It may be childish of me to stop eating something half way through, but what ever. It is an ingredient that I find really really gross, so I choose to avoid it. Obviously in certain settings I would soldier through, but if it's something I ordered without mayo, and it comes with mayo, then of course I would stop eating it.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

So... how 'bout them bruins huh?

Paquito

don't July to me
Wow. I honestly didn't think my two cents would spark a discussion like this...

It's just food. So what if I don't like one ingredient in a sandwich or whatever that makes me stop enjoying it. It may be childish of me to stop eating something half way through, but what ever. It is an ingredient that I find really really gross, so I choose to avoid it. Obviously in certain settings I would soldier through, but if it's something I ordered without mayo, and it comes with mayo, then of course I would stop eating it.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

So... how 'bout them bruins huh?

As long as you've learned not to be racist anymore, it's all good.

FemFAtail

On the contrary, this thread has made me very hungry! I must notify my personal chef...sweetheart, are you online? :eat2:

I am now! What's your pleasure? I will make anything and lot's of it! I'm hungry, too!:eat1:

luvbigfellas

Has lips like morphine

I found what was in hot dogs...and bologna...but I still eat 'em. They still taste good. Mind over matter. Just don't think about what's in it, because really, what's in most food is pretty scary anyway.

Latest posts