Quantcast

What happened to the Story Hotel New Orleans

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

atcAlan

I Love Sweet Pears
I went to read the latest installment and it has been removed.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I've not read it, but by any chance could any of the characters be seen as under 18?

There is a purge of the library going on, as I understand it, to make sure all stories meet a strict reading of the age policy. I guess some stories were really pushing the boundaries of that, so now the correction.

atcAlan

I Love Sweet Pears
No, the main character in the story was 20 or 21 if I remember right.

Blame Picasso

I had a quick scene involving characters skateboarding up to the hotel that could have been construed as under 18 and I need to amend it. I will make the necessary changes asap so it can be returned. Thanks for your interest btw.

Rob

Blame Picasso

This is going to take a little longer than I'd hoped. I made the changes on my computer and I am now attempting to repost the entire story with the required formatting. The first chapter, (which posted just fine originally and I have made no changes to), is now four thousand words too long with the formatting in place so I have to chop it up and format each installment. Right now I'm ready to throw my laptop out the window, I will try again later. :mad:

Wetsobem

I had a quick scene involving characters skateboarding up to the hotel that could have been construed as under 18 and I need to amend it.
Is something like that really necessary? Is this to say that if a character well over the age of 18 had children then there could never be a scene with their own child for fear of having the entire story banned? I understand the justification for keeping sexual references to minors out of stories, but being afraid to post a scene with a pair of skateboarding teenagers is just a bit much if that is the direction that this thing is going.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I'm waiting for a clarification of the rules, too....of stories that I'm working on:

- one features a single parent, and her being a parent is important to the story. I could contrive to have the child absent during all story episodes, but it would seem pretty weird I think.

- one was has a younger sister in a fairly small but important to the plot role (I could bump up all the ages by a year or two, but that would require a lot of re-writing. Although I don't think the story would really be hurt by the change, it would just be time consuming).

- one has two of the characters having known each other for years since their early teens, and some recollection of those days is key to the plot (not a spec of hanky-panky or even fat in those recollections). I think I'd abandon this one if that is off limits, it would be more effort to re-work it than to just start a totally different story.

- One has an episode where the re-appearance of the protagonist's high-school girlfriend causes some commotion, not least of which is because it was clear that he got in all sorts of trouble with her as a teenager (important as it explains why he has become so straight-edge and cautious). No details are given, but they are implied. Again it would take some substantial re-working to make all of that happen at 18+ (and then it wouldn't explain how he got kicked out of high school, leading to the situation he's in now).

I do have stories where there is no mention or appearance of anyone under 18, of course, but the longer the story, the less likely that is (because a wider number of characters come into play, so there are more apt to be kids, siblings, and so forth).

I'm not objecting to tighter rules, they are probably for the best in the long haul. But I'd like some clarification on exactly what the new rules are, so I can figure out what I can and can't put in stories destined for here.

Blame Picasso

I really enjoy writing and sharing my stories, so I have chosen to shut my mouth and do my best to follow the guidelines. Dimensions has a pretty wide base and I like the fact that I'm developing a bit of a name here as a writer. I've been asked to make changes before, so long as it hasn't affected the story, I've always complied. I am considering posting my stories un-edited in the yahoo group I post my drawings in. Observer has always admonished me when I use 'crude' language and I have noticed my dialogue has been toned down on occasion.
The most difficult thing for me was figuring out how to format my stories (lol). Observer spoiled me a little bit on that.
I know I have a passing reference to one of my characters having kids in one of my stories, I'm not sure how I'll deal with that obstacle in the future.
When 'New Orleans' was pulled down last week, Risible explained why. It is in reference to a strict new rule regarding children in some of the stories and a complaint had been posted. The immediate action was to pull all stories involving any reference to an underage character. The rule is so new according to Ris, that it hasn't been posted yet. I'm sure the language is being developed as far as what we can and cannot write. It is a tricky issue, so it may take time. In the meantime, I plan to avoid the situation completely. 'The Hotel New Orleans' will be wrapping up soon, I'm not sure what my next project will be (I should probably wrap up 'What Are Friends For?") but I'm planning on sticking with twenty-somethings for awhile.

Dwavenhobble

The thing I dont get is why didnt they simply edit the stories or ask people to edit the stories ?

Observer has spoiled me here too editing my stories to fit in with the rules but I cant see where this latest complaint is coming from, I mean we have a no underage gainer rule in force on the stories so why would passing referances to childrens exsistence cause offense, I mean we arent writing in the GTA world here. Passing referances such as kids turned and said "look at the fat girl mommy" add realism.
Seriously this new rules needs to be fully explained because at the moment any mention even such as walking by a kid is getting deleted.

Gendo Ikari

The Intellectual
This is most bothersome indeed, but I guess we should get an answer soon enough.

Blame Picasso

I think the immediate reaction was a little black and white and that's why it's upsetting. That's natural when you have a situation like this. It will all pan out I'm sure. As for why they didn't edit the stories themselves rather than contact the authors, I'm glad they contacted me. I would much rather be asked to change something myself than reread my story and find something removed or altered. I intended on referencing Lori's first time at the hotel rather extensively and I would have been mortified if that part had been removed or changed without my knowledge. This way, I made them clearly about two or three years older than I intended them to be anyway by simply changing a couple of references to scene and their situation (they've skipped their earlier college classes rather than skip a day of school). I am still able to build on that scene.

The thing I dont get is why didnt they simply edit the stories or ask people to edit the stories ?

Observer has spoiled me here too editing my stories to fit in with the rules but I cant see where this latest complaint is coming from, I mean we have a no underage gainer rule in force on the stories so why would passing referances to childrens exsistence cause offense, I mean we arent writing in the GTA world here. Passing referances such as kids turned and said "look at the fat girl mommy" add realism.
Seriously this new rules needs to be fully explained because at the moment any mention even such as walking by a kid is getting deleted.

Dwavenhobble

I think the immediate reaction was a little black and white and that's why it's upsetting. That's natural when you have a situation like this. It will all pan out I'm sure. As for why they didn't edit the stories themselves rather than contact the authors, I'm glad they contacted me. I would much rather be asked to change something myself than reread my story and find something removed or altered. I intended on referencing Lori's first time at the hotel rather extensively and I would have been mortified if that part had been removed or changed without my knowledge. This way, I made them clearly about two or three years older than I intended them to be anyway by simply changing a couple of references to scene and their situation (they've skipped their earlier college classes rather than skip a day of school). I am still able to build on that scene.
Id happily try and edit my stories to make them fit in with the new rules if they hadnt vanished already, heck even a PM explainning why it had gone would be something but its this wall of silence really and rumours running round thats getting me.

A complaint, what about specifically, because if its having any referance to a kid in the story then why ?
was it at a specific author and applied to all or have only specifc authors been affected ?
Are the lost stories gone forever or are they floating round in the forum non realm to be pulled back in once changed ?
Who pulled the stories because Ive got a big feeling Observer wasnt behind the pulls ?

Blame Picasso

I wasn't aware your situation was that intense. I'm sorry. I'm sure everything is still around. They had 'New Orleans' in some 'mod-only' area until I fixed the problem, it was then returned to the recent additions forum with all of the comments and even the number of views intact. I would look up Risible and or Observer and tell them.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
There was a rather contentious thread in the Lounge, where examples of apparently under age characters in stories were used as evidence that the library, its moderators, and by extension Conrad (owner of the site) tacitly support pedophilia. That is one of those sort of no win situations--either you agree there is a problem, and do something about it (whether or not you think there is really a problem), or else you refuse to agree that there is a problem and come across like you are supporting pedophilia.

Let's NOT re-hash the argument here. It is done. It was decided, at whatever level, that stories with underage characters would all be pulled from public view, and the mods worked together, very quickly so they must have put a lot of time into it, to identify stories and pull them.

What we are awaiting now is clarification on exactly what the new rules are.

Vader7476

Divine Sith Lord
No, let's rehash the argument, since it wasn't propery had. No writers got a vote or say in the matter, and no readers did either. Only a few people in the lounge, who openly admit they don't read the stories, go to the story forum, or even like what is produced here. Yeah, real fair.

Dwavenhobble

sorry but im with Vader this argument is being had here in the proper place with writers aware and present for it because all we can see at the moment is an A-bomb being dropped to destroy an ant hill, heck some of the stories in the weight room have truly underage characters. The story in question too is agreeable containning an underage character.

First question what are we calling underage is it the age of consent, the age of drinking or the generally accepted adult of 21 concept.
The official rules on that thread say it has to also be an underage participating character not any underage person who is mentioned in passing.
If the rules become this it will cause authors to not publish here, simple because we arent living in the world of Grand Theft Auto with no kids, and we all know not to involve young characters as gainners and without the realisim alot of stories wont feel real removing alot of the stories effect. very Brechtian but not good for surposedly erotic fiction.

Just noticed Observer even mentions in the thread underage is relative to where its being written or set so for UK people its 16 and over. Also it does appear they dont want the fiction section, now without that I think the site traffic would drop a lot plus Id say at the moment this is the only bit of the forum and original dimms concept still in tact, as this forum is becoming too sensative and political over any little thing said.

Gendo Ikari

The Intellectual
sorry but im with Vader this argument is being had here in the proper place with writers aware and present for it because all we can see at the moment is an A-bomb being dropped to destroy an ant hill, heck some of the stories in the weight room have truly underage characters. The story in question too is agreeable containning an underage character.

First question what are we calling underage is it the age of consent, the age of drinking or the generally accepted adult of 21 concept.
The official rules on that thread say it has to also be an underage participating character not any underage person who is mentioned in passing.
If the rules become this it will cause authors to not publish here, simple because we arent living in the world of Grand Theft Auto with no kids, and we all know not to involve young characters as gainners and without the realisim alot of stories wont feel real removing alot of the stories effect. very Brechtian but not good for surposedly erotic fiction.

Just noticed Observer even mentions in the thread underage is relative to where its being written or set so for UK people its 16 and over. Also it does appear they dont want the fiction section, now without that I think the site traffic would drop a lot plus Id say at the moment this is the only bit of the forum and original dimms concept still in tact, as this forum is becoming too sensative and political over any little thing said.
A friend of mine put this this paradox of having a fetish section on an acceptance site like this: It's like going to a a blind person association and declaring that blind people turn them on.

These liberals don't want any fiction that treat women as objects or are too out there. Well, that cuts the stories by half.

So, now it seems we can't write about young people. I am 20 years old, in college, and want to cater to my age group and write about people like me. I don't want to write about fucking 40 year old geezers.

It's not strange for college kids to date high school seniors, I know a friend who I graduated with who continued his relationship with his girlfriend after going to college and she started her senior year in high school.

Dwavenhobble

A friend of mine put this this paradox of having a fetish section on an acceptance site like this: It's like going to a a blind person association and declaring that blind people turn them on.

These liberals don't want any fiction that treat women as objects or are too out there. Well, that cuts the stories by half.

So, now it seems we can't write about young people. I am 20 years old, in college, and want to cater to my age group and write about people like me. I don't want to write about fucking 40 year old geezers.

It's not strange for college kids to date high school seniors, I know a friend who I graduated with who continued his relationship with his girlfriend after going to college and she started her senior year in high school.
Im 20 aswell in Uni and Im going to say this and people will hate the truth but it has to be said, I realised I was an FA at about 14 and ended up on Pawg (seriously at the time curvage was still fat celebs and not a huge forum, and here and FF were 18 + only so I joined as it was the only place.)

I left many years ago on very bad terms because the forum had gone political everything said scrutinised so much and adults taking over so what was originally a fetish acceptance forum that allowed kids in, the adults there at the time didnt get this really and started weeding out people there now when your about 15-16 and on about girls etc your age and being called a freak it really doesnt help open the concept of it being an accepted fetish.
(I know the freak comment was now related to the age of the girls but at 15-16 it was at the time stupid for me to constantly be on about 20 something women).

I digress the point is even when I was about 15 i was coming to dimms (no not as a forum member) but I viewed the weight room and stories etc because you can.
So if people are scared about exposing kids to inappropriate stuff and for this child protection thing then if all weight gain stories and going to be removed if underage characters are mentioned the the whole site needs to be sealed off here due to the fact its publicly viewable.

The worst aspect is going to be having to put ages to each character in my stories as the Amber 4. series is based of Molly coddles Amber series and I feel Ive filled in some parts but age just isnt one I can do as thats too much of a major part of the stories and the original writer should be allowed to reveal this or not as they please, the main problem being they are in collage so over 18 but its nice to have some air of mystery in stories.

Now if age visible stories are required I think the whole stories archive on the main page would have to be deleted aswell because most either mention no age or have children referanced in a small part or even some still contain kids
dont believe me

"Mother thought it best that Suzie watch her figure. She was twelve, Suzie that is. And a skater. Mother always dressed her in the finest clothes. Like a princess. Suzie was pretty, but very far from understanding about love. Never had she known about love or had even the fleetingest thought about "contact" with the opposite sex. Her mother sheltered her a lot. She was shy. Painfully shy. "

This was taken from "The Devil and Little Suzie"

"Christmas season she topped in at 651 lbs.! She was immobile at only 17 years old"
Taken from "Claire part two"

now I found that in all of 5 minutes of looking so If all the new stories are subjected to this then why not the old ones too ?

Should this site simply be abolished entirely is another question now at hand too.

seriously Im now worried about this sites future as the original dimms concept seems to have died a death to the PC mob, also can I point out that if the women stories are sexist what are the male weight gain ones ?

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
If you are not writing stories where 13...14...15..16...17 year old kids are put in sexualized situations...why all the handwringing? Some people are just refusing to get what the issue is...and what it's not.

Tad, there was no '" apparently " about it. The sexual story contained girls as young as 13...so let's not make like this was something that could be a matter of opinion. The rules were in place long before I said boo about anything.

Latest posts