What is making you SAD right now...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Tad

mostly harmless
Reading that on a little smart phone screen had me in tears this morning. How you are feeling, from living it, I can barely imagine. My heart goes out to you and all of your family--there was so much love and so much loss right there. (and I have to stop typing or I'll be sobbing again)

x0emnem0x

Words.
So, this happened yesterday, but the pic of the dead bird reminded me and made me sad. I went outside yesterday to leave and somehow a bird decided the best idea of somewhere to go would be to fly directly into my house. Next thing I see is this bird darting around the room, goes to one window, thud, still flapping, trying to get it outside before it ends up hurting itself, darts to the other window, thud, no noise or movement. I look over to go get it and it's not moving, just laid there. I moved it outside and waited a minute hoping it might get back up, but alas, it killed itself. :(

Saoirse

Birds smack into windows at my house regularly. some die, most just get messed up for a few minutes. theyve also flown down the chimney and into the house.

Last edited:

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
I have a few suggestions to cut down on the number of birds trying to fly through our home windows. (Both of them are low cost fixes . . .)

Place some peel off gel characters on the windows where the crashes are happening, These gel characters can be found in discount stores where child's toys are sold. This time of year you can also find gel characters in the Christmas decorations. You place the characters on the inside of your window, but birds can see them there and know the space the window occupies is solid.

Another item can work to keep birds "scared" away from your window - rubber snakes. You can buy check rubber snakes from a discount store and hang the snakes at the edges of the offending windows, Or, if your window has a substantial sill, lay the fake snakes on this inside sill. Snakes are natural predators of birds and these fake "snake scare-crows" take advantage of a natural fear in small birds of snakes. (However, as the size of birds increase, the feathered warriors become predators of snakes. Examples of this are eagles, hawks, vultures, crows, etc,)

spiritangel

AmandaClause
This Year has been one of Loss

I lost my Stepfather and My Nanna

and too many friends to count have lots Mothers and fathers

there is so much grief and sadness and I always feel like I do not have the right words to help lift it even briefly

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
"Place some peel off gel characters on the windows where the crashes are happening, These gel characters can be found in discount stores where child's toys are sold."
Seriously? I always assumed those were mainly just for humans. Although, it's not like this is an everyday event for me; but, then again, for me, it just seems to only happen when I'm sitting, eating, & talking with someone in front of a huge, shiny-clean sliding glass door looking out onto the clear afternoon sun. Then, as if out of nowhere, WHAM!!.

I dunno. I dunno if hanging a plastic snake would quite fit with the rest of the decor. Which reminds me:

The very first thing that's next worse than that is, in the summer time, when I use this two-wheeled heavy-line trimmer to clear the brush in an overgrown field I have to maintain. Because; it's kind of a time-consuming job the way I have to do it, but I start around the perimeter-edge, where most of rocks and uneven terrain would seem to preclude using just a regular lawn-mower. (Whereas, at least some of the middle part can be more easily cut with this old lawn-tractor, if I can get it running.) So, just to keep ahead of it, I always try to do bit here and there, starting from wherever I left off and working my way toward the middle, ambling in this once giant circle that progressively gets smaller and smaller.

But, doing this, whatever wildlife I encounter (crickets and frogs and toads and, curiously, lots of snakes) tend to flee in the opposite direction of whichever side it seems like I'm coming from. Not realizing, obviously, that's where I'm soon-headed. And also, of course, that it takes me however long to complete this substantial loop (of Death!).

The snakes, however, are the worst. Because, with the bugs and amphibians, they just seem to spring out of the air no sooner than I approach with the machine, so I can't really quite tell if they're actually getting hit or just instinctively jumping out of the way, feeling what must be an immense sense of vibration . But the snakes....something about the perverse (in?)compatibility of snakes' elongated form and the swinging action of this beaded, reinforced line...means that every snake-encounter works out to be this both awkwardly painful and painfully-awkward dance of a mutal-Oh-shit! Uh, just wtf are you doing here!? Do you really have to be right-here, of just about everywhere else in this gigantic field?!

And, repeated. Continuously. Every ten minutes or so until either I finish down to the very last strip of grass or, somehow, the snake escapes.
Every summer. And it’s, like, the very same snake; or, maybe, family of snakes? So, it would seem.

Pixelpops

Oh, The Hazards of Love.
I'm sad because my chest hurts when I breathe in, but I don't want to go to a doctor because the only thing he'll say is 'lose weight'.

I swear, I could have an arrow in my head in a clichéd and hilarious accident, leaking brains out of my ear and he'd still blame my fat...

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
"Place some peel off gel characters on the windows where the crashes are happening, These gel characters can be found in discount stores where child's toys are sold."
Seriously? I always assumed those were mainly just for humans. Although, it's not like this is an everyday event for me; but, then again, for me, it just seems to only happen when I'm sitting, eating, & talking with someone in front of a huge, shiny-clean sliding glass door looking out onto the clear afternoon sun. Then, as if out of nowhere, WHAM!!.

I dunno. I dunno if hanging a plastic snake would quite fit with the rest of the decor. Which reminds me:

The very first thing that's next worse than that is, in the summer time, when I use this two-wheeled heavy-line trimmer to clear the brush in an overgrown field I have to maintain. Because; it's kind of a time-consuming job the way I have to do it, but I start around the perimeter-edge, where most of rocks and uneven terrain would seem to preclude using just a regular lawn-mower. (Whereas, at least some of the middle part can be more easily cut with this old lawn-tractor, if I can get it running.) So, just to keep ahead of it, I always try to do bit here and there, starting from wherever I left off and working my way toward the middle, ambling in this once giant circle that progressively gets smaller and smaller.

But, doing this, whatever wildlife I encounter (crickets and frogs and toads and, curiously, lots of snakes) tend to flee in the opposite direction of whichever side it seems like I'm coming from. Not realizing, obviously, that's where I'm soon-headed. And also, of course, that it takes me however long to complete this substantial loop (of Death!).

The snakes, however, are the worst. Because, with the bugs and amphibians, they just seem to spring out of the air no sooner than I approach with the machine, so I can't really quite tell if they're actually getting hit or just instinctively jumping out of the way, feeling what must be an immense sense of vibration . But the snakes....something about the perverse (in?)compatibility of snakes' elongated form and the swinging action of this beaded, reinforced line...means that every snake-encounter works out to be this both awkwardly painful and painfully-awkward dance of a mutal-Oh-shit! Uh, just wtf are you doing here!? Do you really have to be right-here, of just about everywhere else in this gigantic field?!

And, repeated. Continuously. Every ten minutes or so until either I finish down to the very last strip of grass or, somehow, the snake escapes.
Every summer. And it’s, like, the very same snake; or, maybe, family of snakes? So, it would seem.

lille

The window clings do work really well, I put them on a bunch of our windows as a kid because we had one summer where there was a bird hitting a window almost every week. Once the window clings were up there were no more injured birdies. Yakatori, I remember being a kid and walking a few fee in front of my dad as he would mow the lawn; he'd mow and I'd scare all the frogs out of the way.

Ho Ho Tai

I picked him/her up just outside my sliding door and, after a minute, registered: thaaaat explains the thud I heard this morning :

Sorry, little one. I hope the blow to the head knocked you out instantly. Not that it'll make up for anything, but here, have some posthumous Dims fame.
Reading to the end of this thread, I had no idea how many bird watchers / lovers there were at Dimensions.

You might enjoy reading Laura Erickson's blog. She has become a national figure in the birding scene. We both lived in Duluth, MN for some years. She led bird watching expeditions and wrote, wrote, wrote. I sometimes attached myself to the expeditions, seeing fewer birds than I saw glimpses of her famous red stocking cap, bobbing along in the woods far ahead of me.

She is probably best known outside the birding community for a book she wrote in 1993, "For the Birds", a day book we have given to many.

After spending some years at the Cornell Lab. of Ornithology she and her husband are back in Duluth. She still writes and maintains a 'blog which I receive by e-mail. Recently, she has become very concerned about the acres of glass in Vikings Stadium, currently under construction. The link will take you to a 'blog entry on this topic.

The entire 'blog can be accessed here. By scrolling down, you can find a link for subscription to her daily 'blog entries. For anyone with any fondness for birds, these are like peanuts. I defy you to read just one.

I think you can find her e-mail link in there also. I don't feel at liberty to make it available in this post.

Sushi

My little rat Douglas Adams has died. I'm absolutely gutted.
I'm so sorry for your loss. These little creatures do become so important to our lives. My dog Skippy passed away last year (October) and not a day goes by that I don't miss him. R.I.P. Douglas Adams.

spookytwigg

Have an A-1 day
Thanks for the RIPs guys. I was already having a grim day cause I'd had a serious attack of depression earlier on the day. Don't know if my subconscious was just aware that something horrible had happened.

TwilightStarr

Tonight I saw someone who I've known for the past 15 years and has always been a good friend. We we're never best friends or anything, but he meant a lot to me.
We never see each other anymore but I spent almost every weekend of my late teens/early 20s hanging out with him.
Tonight I saw him out at a store and he avoided me :( Didn't look my way, didn't say Hi, nothing.
At first I figured it was because he hadn't seen me and I was on the other side of the store looking at DVD's with my nephew and it's not a big store, but there were people and a few aisles between us.
A few minutes later I turn around and he is at the front of the store, right behind me. So I said Hi to him and he didn't even say Hi. He just said some stupid remark about the prices being to high and that's it!!
Didn't come give me a hug, didn't say anything else, nothing!! He has never been like that towards me. I know he can be a dick to a lot of people but he's never been like that to me.
It just upset me so much :( and then I cried :really sad:
If you upset me so bad that I cry in public, I will quickly go from upset to angry :mad: :really sad: :mad:

wrenchboy

2 things.
That my ex wife hates me so much that she is telling my 14 yo son lies so he does not want anything to do with me. And there is nothing that I can do about it.
As I travel across the country I see so many small towns that look like they used to thrive but now they are beatup, in disrepair, and generally deserted while all the big chains build more and more .

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
I am a total and utter failure. It hurts to keep being reminded of it.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
I am a total and utter failure. It hurts to keep being reminded of it.

HottiMegan, I just now read your post from a few days ago. I believe you need some professional help with what's going on in your head and in your life. If you are taking medications for mood or anxiety, etc. I fear they are not working as they should. A doctor needs to deal with this and you need counseling by a medical doctor.

I know you & your family have been up and down this road before - but this is different - this time you are the one in need. If you were sick with a fever and broken out in spots all over wouldn't you get help? If you suddenly stopped seeing wouldn't you immediately go to a hospital? If everyone in the room is watching a TV show and the picture and sound are normal - but you cannot see any colors and cannot understand the language, would you suspect something is wrong with your sight and hearing or processing?

A valuable, vivid, beautiful and loving mom like yourself is worth everything you can do to get help - as a wise person once said - you are worth more than rubies or diamonds.

Latest posts

Group builder