What made you LOL today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
saw one of those zen garden things on sale on Amazon, you know the boxes with sand you can draw patterns and arrange stones in. I was totally gonna buy one but then I realized my cat would just shit in it.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
I have realized I have literally zero interest in sociology (my minor) - and it is so boring I struggle to take any of it in. What makes me LOL is that it's my minor lolll
Concentrate on the empirical stuff - statistics, sampling, randomizing, SPSS - that's useful for many research applications in most fields.
On the theory side organizational sociology makes sense because it also is useful in many business contexts.

But I understand where you're coming from. Communication sociology also was not my cup of tea as it mainly consisted of immediately disprovable, verbose tripe.

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Concentrate on the empirical stuff - statistics, sampling, randomizing, SPSS - that's useful for many research applications in most fields.
On the theory side organizational sociology makes sense because it also is useful in many business contexts.
Oh its necessary but is so broad its almost generalization - and the stats and sampling is even more boring to me. Its good for me to be able to vocalize feelings i have had (like why i reject feminism, gender roles, sex roles etc), but its very difficult for me to learn something which is not useful. Psychology is relevant to my job and my passion in a direct way - sociology is a framework for understanding...that requires an inordinant amount of memorization because i fundamentally fon't care. Whereas psyc i immediately retain it, fit it into my own mental schema, and retain it.

I memorized how information travels from the eye/ear/etcto the various parts of the brain in one read (because i have a vested interest in arousal in dogs). Trying to force stats on "social inequity" and "education" slips by me. And they want the % and name of the person and i...just don't care. Whereas psyc focuses on interplay, interaction, and less on percentages for the sake of percentages.

That being said: i know sociology will be valuable too. Frameworks are necessary for context...i just don't have to like it =p. Hubby on the other hand loves the huge social overarching motivations and how society interacts on international levels

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Yes and he edits my essays...its just very difficult for me to retain info that i don't care about. And it isn't things like "what is social stratification" the midterm qs were like "who came up with this theory in 1906?" I don't care... or "what exact percentage of people are poor ethnic women in canada?" I don't care...

But if they asked ABOUT a theory of IMPACTS on groups because of pay inequity...thats easy. Connection and reasoning is no problem...but my brain simple can't justify (never has been able) to do rote memorization.

The hubby can memorize theorists and dates and events...but only in the contextpolitics/history. Everything else he has the same "i simply don't care/this isn't valid".

I mean, its reflective of my job. When i read a fifty page detailed design doc i can cal out risks, impacts, and remember the whole solution. Ask me to remember a random set of data? My brain is like nah, that does not get stored.

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
He would love that ! Normally people's eyes glaze over when he starts talking european history =p

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Seriously, on a post-secondary exam they were asking BS questions like who came up with the theory? Argh! OK, you have all my sympathies -- I'm also loathe to memorize random factoids that don't really impact anything.

Or to put it another way, speaking as an engineer: "Oh, the humanities!"

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Yeah, it's blegh! I can't even remember names of people i know, let alone random ppl from history =p

ODFFA

When I read this it instantly reminded me of a blind friend of mine who once said to someone, "Sorry, I'm not very good with names... And I'm even worse with faces."

One time, she'd lost her patience with someone and asked them to repeat their explanation to her in sign language. She hates being obligated to ride in those little buggies at airports when she flies with assistance. So she learned how to celebrity-wave to people from her carriage and amuses everybody that way.

Never a dull moment.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Yeah, it's blegh! I can't even remember names of people i know, let alone random ppl from history =p
Way back when I was in University, there tended to be a ton of forms to fill out at the start of every term. One term the classmate I was living with and myself agreed to make sure to sit beside each other for the first few days, so we could each get away with memorizing half of our new phone number, because we both had trouble quickly memorizing a full seven digits :doh: (and this is why engineers prefer to do their math with variables, not numbers!)

AmandaLynn

cake, lots & lots of cake
My cousin arrived today from La, she is only here for the weekend.

Here I am watching my supposedly size 16 cousin struggle to get into a pair of my old size 18 denim shorts. It was hilarious. She was so determined, but not a chance.

I don't know what's funnier, the fact that she insists she is a size 16 or the fact that I find it hilarious that it's clear to everyone but her that she is not.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Well sure, she's a size 16 -- if the 16s are super stretchy, and are the ones that she's been stretching out for a few years as she grew. (My wife is that sort of size 16, so I know .... ).

Mind you, given the sort of influence that you are on these boards, even just a long weekend may be enough that she'll have to give up on that illusion :p

Last edited:

AmandaLynn

cake, lots & lots of cake
Well sure, she's a size 16 -- if the 16s are super stretchy, and are the ones that she's been stretching out for a few years as she grew. (My wife is that sort of size 16, so I know .... ).

Mind you, given the sort of influence that you are on these boards, even just a long weekend may be enough that she'll have to give up on that illusion :p

Influence? Me? No, you have me mistaken for someone else.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
I just received a call on my cell phone. It was a wrong number...I had to convince the lady that it was a wrong number. Made me laugh...she was so certain I was the person she was calling.

Latest posts