What makes you nerd rage thread?

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by Lil BigginZ, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Sep 25, 2013 #321

tankyguy

tankyguy

tankyguy

I am now not cool enough to hang out at my local comic shop.

No longer do they heatedly argue which superhero could beat which, complain about who's writing Spider-Man and discuss where to get the best bootleg anime while hiding from girls.

Now the clerks in the store are bragging how their 'paleolithic diet' is the morally superior health choice while wearing shirts from TV shows that ended years before they were born as an ironic statement and hassling others for not being part of the Occupy movement.

I'll take disheveled, anti-social geek outcasts over pretentious and sanctimonious hipsters any day.

Jaybear420 likes this.
  2. Sep 25, 2013 #322

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

:eek::eek::eek:

That is purely horrifying.

Overall, I'd rather not have 'nerdy' being any sort of trendy.

Jaybear420 likes this.
  3. Sep 26, 2013 #323

Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Advanced Killbot

It bothers me when geeks get mad at other geeks for not being hardcore enough or whatever. The "fake geek girl" thing is a perfect example of what I mean: geeks getting angry and territorial about their favorite shows or comics when a girl says she likes it but doesn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the subject. I liked the Avengers movie. I've never read an Avengers comic. That doesn't make me less of a geek. It just means I don't like superhero comic books.

4. Sep 26, 2013 #324

tankyguy

tankyguy

tankyguy

If you want to get technical, a geek by dictionary definition is someone with a encyclopedic knowledge of a specialized subject.

I think the anger comes from people who bullied/ignored actual nerd/geeks but now call themselves one because it's trendy, even though they still look down on awkward people playing D&D in a basement.

Suddenly every single hot actor or actress aiming to appeal to the 18-35 demographic was "a total nerd in high school" even when they were crowned at Homecoming and would just laugh if anyone in the AV club asked them out.

It's less about people being fake because they don't know enough and more about people being fake by trying to play up an image they would have distanced themselves from 10 years ago.

5. Sep 26, 2013 #325

Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Advanced Killbot

You're making the assumption that just because someone is an actor or actress or is good looking or otherwise does not fit into the nerd/geek stereotype that automatically means they were a bully or a jerk to kids who were nerds/geeks in high school. I'm a good looking guy who runs with "regular guys" or whatever you want to call them and I was a geeky nerd in high school. I still am. Just because someone looks like the people who picked on us in high school doesn't mean they ARE those people.

Besides, I feel that getting into the debate over what does and does not constitute being a nerd or a geek is a slippery slope. It leads to a lot of elitism in the community based on how much someone knows about something vs. how much someone else knows. A lot of people who were bullied and treated badly in high school end up becoming bullies themselves to the people they deem as not being "geeky enough" to be accepted into the crowd.

6. Sep 26, 2013 #326

Paquito

Paquito

Paquito

don't July to me

Pretentious nerds make me rage.

Of course this comment is totally apropos of nothing.

7. Sep 26, 2013 #327

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

First a disclaimer: while I pretty much was and am a geek I was never really into geek culture, and often times have just found it irritating. So I don’t really claim to speak for geeks as a whole or to know what the geek collective is thinking, or anything like that.

And secondly an apology: this is probably more impassioned sounding than I meant to make it. It is something I can see being an issue, and for which I have sympathy, but I’d for sure categorize it into ‘First World Problems.’

Finally, what I wanted to say: I think that there is a difference between geeks, and people who enjoy some activities that have traditionally been enjoyed by geeks. Enjoyment of geek-ish activities has become more popular and trendy, but that doesn’t mean that a lot more people are geeks.

To use a parallel, the fact that I enjoyed playing hockey and ran track didn’t mean that I was in any way a jock—my thoughts were not focussed on athletics, I didn’t attach much of my identity to my participation in those areas, I didn’t particularly hang around other people who were involved in athletics. Nor would enjoying the music of the Grateful Dead mean that one is anything like a Dead Head.

The thing about being a geek, why they have traditionally been sidelined and shunned, is that they have a value system different than that of the mainstream. What really interests and excites them, what they pursue, aren’t things that are as high on the priority tree of most people. In places where geeks gathered, you could find other people who had, if not identical at least related priorities and interests. Maybe A’s passion was highly complicated military simulation games using miniatures and B’s passion was comic books and C’s passion was role playing games like Dungeon’s and Dragons, but they could all see the appeal in each other’s passions—to them those things were all cool, and they could probably all enjoy all of them, and they’d all far rather do any of those things than go watch sports or go to a high school dance where the music was too loud and the social rules were indecipherable.

When what were geek spaces get invaded by people who don’t share those interests and values, where do the traditional geeks go to find each other, to have a space that is their own? This is why I suggested that hipsters taking over comic book stores was horrific.

To use another parallel, imagine that ‘curvy’ women of perhaps size 14-16 became drastically more popular in our culture, and places like Dimensions became overrun with guys proclaiming how they were always into big girls (of that sort of size) and of women of that size calling themselves fat. Where would that leave most of the traditional Dimensions participants who are larger than that, interested in women larger than that, or are big guys or admirers of big guys?

Melian likes this.
  8. Sep 26, 2013 #328

HeavyDuty24

HeavyDuty24

HeavyDuty24

Come on rise up

When they take a key feature out of a video game that has been in the game since like the beginning! even if it's something small but still! :mad:

9. Sep 26, 2013 #329

Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Advanced Killbot

I don't think that having people who aren't as hardcore into something as I am get involved in that thing in any way diminishes my experience, however. Let's say you're at a sci fi con and there is a group of "bros" walking around bro-ing out about stuff. They may not have a complete collection of Asimov books at home, but they have enough of an interest in sci-fi to have fun at the convention. Meanwhile, I am over at booth A talking to dudes in full Klingon gear generally geeking out about how Voyager was awful and Picard was a better captain than Kirk. Their presence at the con isn't affecting my experience nor is it getting in the way of my connecting with people who share my interests.

My problem with people involved in the scene getting defensive about who does and does not get to call themselves a geek is how exclusionary and cliquey it is. Essentially it is saying this person is inferior to me because they are not as passionate about something as I am, or because they have interests that are considered mainstream compared to my interest in, say, Doctor Who. It's the same thing as an indie music fan sneering at someone who has taken an interest in indie music because the bands he likes aren't obscure enough.

I love Skyrim but getting rid of the Major Skill system dumbed the game down considerably. Having to choose major skills to focus on in order to level added an element of strategy and required a decent amount of thought to be put into character creation. I can see why they would choose to get rid of it and allow players to level by increasing any skill, but for me personally it took some of the intelligence out of the game.

10. Sep 26, 2013 #330

tankyguy

tankyguy

tankyguy

To complete the analogy, then they made a sitcom on CBS with thin-to-mildly chubby actors in fat suits making jokes about eating while being horrible people. :p

11. Oct 1, 2013 #331

Melian

Melian

Melian

Ultimate Chimera

Personally, as long as someone likes something, they like it "enough." It's the ones who don't actually like the thing in question that piss me right off.

Example 1: where I live, there are a lot of hipster bimbos who wear ripped up (pre-ripped....) Slayer t-shirts. For shits, I've asked some of them if they've ever seen the band - the result is that they all thought "Slayer" was a clothing brand. :doh:

Example 2: I complimented a girl I met on her triforce necklace. She just said, "what's a triforce?" She just thought it looked pretty. :doh::doh:

12. Oct 1, 2013 #332

Hozay J Garseeya

Hozay J Garseeya

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

to be fair, the triforce is pretty.

13. Oct 1, 2013 #333

Hozay J Garseeya

Hozay J Garseeya

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

This is why I stay out of the music thread here, too many times have a select few made passive comments about what others have posted. Claiming them trying to show off how "indie" they are. Why can't we just enjoy what we enjoy?

Victoria08 likes this.
  14. Oct 1, 2013 #334

Melian

Melian

Melian

Ultimate Chimera

It is. And actually, that wasn't the best example, because that particular chick wasn't trying to play up her love for the games or anything. Still, her level of LoZ ignorance is common enough among people who wear the gear.

15. Oct 1, 2013 #335

Hozay J Garseeya

Hozay J Garseeya

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

I'm just busting your balls lady. You know me, down with the herd! Burn them all and shit.

fat9276 likes this.
  16. Oct 1, 2013 #336

Melian

Melian

Melian

Ultimate Chimera

Yep. I remember that time you burnt down all those churches. Classic Hozay.

17. Oct 1, 2013 #337

fat9276

fat9276

fat9276

I would go to a sci-fi convention, based solely on it being announced that Patrick Stewart would be there. Pffft if you don't like it.

Tangent:

I once dreamt I was on the Enterprise and was torn between my attraction to Picard and Worf and Riker crushing on me :happy:

However, Wesley Crusher was my first true Star Trek crush. I was always a sucker for pretty boys with big brown eyes and brown hair (especially intelligent ones) :wubu:

Just look at that face :batting:

18. Oct 1, 2013 #338

HeavyDuty24

HeavyDuty24

HeavyDuty24

Come on rise up

Quill Qheaton LOL. I always rememeber that Family Guy episode! lol.

Cobra Verde likes this.
  19. Oct 1, 2013 #339

tankyguy

tankyguy

tankyguy

He's history's greatest monster!

20. Oct 2, 2013 #340

fat9276

fat9276

fat9276

I am making voodoo dolls for you both!!:shocked: :mad: