What rules would you change, add or delete?

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by BeautifulPoeticDisaster, Feb 27, 2010.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

Ok, I admit, I got this idea from a thread title in the Lounge, but it got me to thinking.....what rules would I change...if any?

The first thing I would crack down on would be the pictures. I hate how every thread that could be a great discussion ends up in star trek gifs, lolcats pics, or just random pictures. What happened to go old fashioned words?

I remember when this place used to be serious and honest. Now it's just some real people and a whole lot of internet personas.

That is my biggest pet peeve. I'll have a think and see if I come up with more.

Side note. This thread is not about drama or bannings...just a general, What would you change? ok? ok???? No effing drama about feeder, fappers, bannees, or harpies...got it? Thanks

MattB likes this.
  2. Feb 27, 2010 #2

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

I was reading this and nodding my head when I had a sudden thought: has dims really changed that much, or is it me? I know when I first discovered dims I was overwhelmed with the seriousness and depth of the discussions, the poise and charm of the posters. After a few years, it seems less remarkable, probably because I've gotten used to it. Do I take it for granted? I hope not, but perhaps...unconsciously...I do. This is not to suggest that BPD does, or to discount the importance of her post...it's just a question I asked myself and couldn't quite answer.

3. Feb 27, 2010 #3

superodalisque

superodalisque

superodalisque

yes i think it has gotten that bad too. discussions get derailed a lot by the overuse of that stuff. its ok on an occassional basis but when it goes on for pages and pages...to me it looks as though sometimes there is an obvious attempt to stop communication between people especially if they might actually end up at least understanding each other even when they don't agree. it generally screws up the momentum of the discussion. no wonder people look at it and think its really an attempt to actually destroy dims and everything it is about or could be in the process of becoming by standing between people and their ideas. sometimes it just looks like a benign tantrum that says" if you don't think like me i won't allow you to think at all". but mostly it tends to have a way of belittling people and their concerns.

i think there have been a lot of changes, mostly in the overall tenor. its gotten low brow snarky personal and rude. its easier to do that than to really think and address an issue or put forward the effort to actually persuade anyone of anything. if something bothers you don't say why just lift your leg personal attack and snark all over it ;). its a lazy way to try and get the attention people used to get for just making a good point.

most of the rules here are pretty reasonable overall its just that sometimes the application is so murky that it makes the mods look bad. sometimes its just that the decisions have been plain old wrong. thats bound to happen some. the problem has been that when it does instead of saying "hey maybe i should have done that another way" sometimes people get defensive. people are human. they are going to make a mistake sometime or another. people trust you more if you can just admit it. at least then they know you aren't after them for a personal reason or something. i think there needs to be more openess and clarity about that stuff just so people understand whats happening and don't think the worst.

what i would really like to see is a demise of the separate forums. i was all for anything that anyone wanted in the beginning. i would like people to be together again and learning from each other even when its uncomfortable. all these separate little fiefdoms are just making people feel more entitled to have their way with everything and control what other people say or think. we need to remember how to play together again.

4. Feb 27, 2010 #4

goofy girl

goofy girl

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn

I think there just needs to be some clarification in some of the rules, not necessarily changed or anything.

And yes, people (myself included) need to lighten up a bit sometimes. I used to come here and I swear I'd cry from laughing so hard. Now usually when I come read the boards I end up with anxiety and a stomach ache. But I'm also exceptionally sensitive and don't like controversy or confrontation. I used to be able to avoid that feeling by just not going into HP, but lately it doesn't matter what boards I read...I still feel sad when I leave.

littlefairywren likes this.
  5. Feb 28, 2010 #5

Sandie S-R

Sandie S-R

Sandie S-R

Be specific, please. Which rules aren't clear? Post any rule here and tell us what isn't clear about it, or what you don't understand.

(BTW - not wanting to debate whether you think the rule is right or wrong or whether you disagree with it - just trying ascertain which specific rules are not clear to you?)

6. Feb 28, 2010 #6

Shosh

Shosh

Shosh

Susannah

I agree with you 100% re the Star Trek gifs.

tonynyc likes this.
  7. Feb 28, 2010 #7

Blackjack

Blackjack

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa

But not the puppies and kitties?

Since I know that the comment in the first post was referencing me... I'll note that I only bring out Worf if it's a thread that's not likely to end up with decent discussion (for example, if there was a thread like "would u feed your kid to maek them huge?"). I don't use it to derail a thread, only to quickly and accurately display a general sense of "...ugh." at something. I feel that in some cases, an image speaks the message far better than a paragraph would.

Shosh likes this.
  8. Feb 28, 2010 #8

ChrisVersion2

ChrisVersion2

ChrisVersion2

I sense some Star Trek in here...

9. Feb 28, 2010 #9

exile in thighville

exile in thighville

exile in thighville

groups/347570880589/

bang bang bang

10. Feb 28, 2010 #10

Shosh

Shosh

Shosh

Susannah

True. Those Lol Cats are pretty annnoying also. As for the puppies, well I am a dog person, so I think you can never have enough puppy pics.:p

DitzyBrunette likes this.
  11. Feb 28, 2010 #11

Wagimawr

Wagimawr

Wagimawr

There are things that need to be said that cannot because they will be ignored.

Thus, pictures.

p.s. macrochan.org. use it. :D

12. Feb 28, 2010 #12

99Haints

99Haints

99Haints

Face Pawlm! Epic Tail! It just...couldn't be helped.

star-trek-dog.jpg

littlefairywren likes this.
  13. Feb 28, 2010 #13

LoveBHMS

LoveBHMS

LoveBHMS

default title

The rules are simple to understand, it's just that they're not applied evenly across the board. That's just how it is. Certain people simply openly flaunt them and get away with it.

Honestly i think the thing to do is just accept it. Except for a few times, i quit posting on the Main Board and the Weight Board simply because the drama, trolling, and bullying weren't worth it. It's not a big deal and seriously a much better solution than getting annoyed about something that won't change. These problems always largely sort themselves out anyway.

14. Feb 28, 2010 #14

tinkerbell

tinkerbell

tinkerbell

I wish you were able to go back and edit your posts at anytime. I've never been in a forum where you had a time limit. There are times where I'd like to go back and edit out my picture or just make a tweak or two to my post - or if I notice a spelling or grammatical error.

15. Feb 28, 2010 #15

Ernest Nagel

Ernest Nagel

Ernest Nagel

is old

ADD: Any poster who causes Dims to need a new rule is banned. (This saves a lot of other rules from being needed.)

ADD: No rep for posts containing lolcats, Star Trek gifs or bad puns. (Remove the incentive and watch the behavior disappear.)

ADD: Bonus rep for correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. Double bonus rep for proper use of the words loose and lose. :bow:

16. Feb 28, 2010 #16

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

On Space Out

That's a great idea!

-Rusty

17. Feb 28, 2010 #17

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

On Space Out

...and this is why you don't want to go there.

The quote above is what was in the previous post before I edited it to its exact opposite.

It's disturbingly easy to make mischief by editing what you've said AFTER someone responds to it.

-Rusty

18. Feb 28, 2010 #18

Webmaster

Webmaster

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus

https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
    That is an insightful observation. It also is the exact reason why I had serious reservations about setting up the requested BBW, FA and GLBTQ forums. Separate forums is not an inherently bad thing; the food, fashion and health forums, for example, all work beautifully and I am glad we set them up. The more recently established separate forums do, to a greater or lesser extent, show some of the problems you mentioned. I am not ready to give up on them just yet, but so far they have shown that the Balkanization I feared would occur is a real issue.

19. Feb 28, 2010 #19

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

On Space Out

There might be a server load issue, but if it was possible to force entry to the board to go through "today's posts" or "new posts" (depending on whether or not the user is logged in) it would tend to flatten the boards out.

I usually view posts that way, and as a result mostly see things as threads and posters rather than what forum they're posted in. The forums, then, are essentially categories rather than separate entities.

I may be unusual in that, though.

-Rusty

20. Feb 28, 2010 #20

Webmaster

Webmaster

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus

https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
    Thing is, Dimensions really has very few rules.

There are the rules for Hyde Park (see here), there are the rules for the Plus-Size Paysite board (see here), and there's my favorite, the chat room's lighthearted Code of Conduct (see here), but that's really about it.

Other than that, we like to rely on simple common sense. In the overall Dimensions FAQ (see here) it, for example, says, "But just like there are some generally accepted rules on how we behave in a restaurant, a theatre, a doctor's office, there are some rules on how we expect people to behave on our boards. If they do not respect those rules, they may get placed on a list of posters whose messages will be examined by a moderator before they go up."

I don't think there is a need to spell out every common sense rule. When you go to a friend's house, you won't find posted rules telling you that you must not pee on the floor or assault other guests. One look at the collective IRS rules shows what happens when an entity tries to have rules about EVERYTHING. One look at a camera manual shows the idiocy of posting every conceivable warning ("Do not eat batteries!"). One look at the vast armies of lawyers in our society shows what happens when EVERYTHING needs to be interpreted and clarified.

Often it's really just a matter of asking yourself, "would I do or say that in real life, if I faced a real person?"