Quantcast

What's happening in your yard/garden?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

hrd

I've moved to a new place and am going to have a bit of a garden this year (finally!), so I'm curious what other people have been planning (fruit, veg, flowers), perennials that have or haven't worked for you, and the like -- pictures of things in bloom definitely welcomed. I'm in the upper part of the lower peninsula (zone 6), so the magnolia tree's budding, the irises have just popped open, and there are lots of mystery plants growing everywhere. =) And as soon as the last potentially frosty nights pass, I'll at the very least be starting on potatoes, garlic, onions, beans, carrots and leeks in the far back where there's actually dirt. I'm stuck with sandy soil all around the house (it's sand, literally, and whatever grass they actually got to grow may be physically keeping it all in place), so I'm thinking of lining the drive with lavender and seeing if it takes -- if I stay here for a while, I'd like to lose the grass and create a cottage garden. I'd also like to pick up some hardy kiwi plants, but I have a feeling I'll have to find them online. So what's growing in your garden?

hrd

I'd really love for this thread to take off, so I've unearthed my digital camera and snapped a few pics of the front yard. If it's still sunny tomorrow, I'll head out back; I think I saw a couple trillium out there. =)

Lamia

Like OMG!!
beautiful pictures :) Nothing is going on in my yard except the grass getting taller. :D

hrd

beautiful pictures :) Nothing is going on in my yard except the grass getting taller. :D
That's very kind of you to say. And growing grass is definitely better than a giant pile of weeds. =)

It wasn't so sunny today, but I did snap a few more pics before the rain hit. And since Flickr is so stingy with their storage space, I've moved the rest of the pics to here.

View attachment DSCF0015.JPG

View attachment DSCF0017.JPG

View attachment DSCF0018.JPG

View attachment DSCF0030.JPG

KuroBara

"She Coo"
What gorgeous flowers! I'm trying to grow tomatoes, but we have had so much rain over the past month or so, I think it's a futile effort.

hrd

What gorgeous flowers! I'm trying to grow tomatoes, but we have had so much rain over the past month or so, I think it's a futile effort.
I completely lucked out since there are already so many fab plants here. I'm really excited for the lilacs to be in full bloom, and there's an entire patch of lily of the valley just out the back door. Yay! And we've had piles of rain here, too, but we also had our last freeze not even a week ago, so I haven't had a chance to ruin the fruit or veg yet. I've never had a proper garden, though, so there's still time. =)

milfy

Eat Me....
id like to know what my next door neighbour is up to!!!?

any thoughts??

for weeks he has been collecting tarmac from the road they dug up and putting it a square - its the worst looking rockery ever!!!

hrd

id like to know what my next door neighbour is up to!!!?any thoughts??
Maybe it's a spot to have one of those metal fire pit bowls or a mini bonfire? You'll have to post another pic when it's all sorted. =)

Lamia

Like OMG!!
id like to know what my next door neighbour is up to!!!?

any thoughts??

for weeks he has been collecting tarmac from the road they dug up and putting it a square - its the worst looking rockery ever!!!
He's a rock biter from "The Neverending Story" and this is his stash of snacks. :p

Deacone

For Azeroth!
My garden looks crap. But hopefully I'm getting it sorted tomorrow so I will have space to have a bbq and have people around for my birthday :) Wish me luck! My garden looks like a jungle :<

GentleSavage

I don't bite too much...
The little bunnies are becoming unafraid of my family and myself. It's cute when one isn't afraid to hop near you, and give their nose a little twinkle for you. When there are six however, circled around you, then it becomes a little scary.

It's like they're planning something... At least none of them are Bun-bun... or I would most certainly be dead by now. Or frightened into abject obedience to my rabbit overlords.

milfy

Eat Me....
Maybe it's a spot to have one of those metal fire pit bowls or a mini bonfire? You'll have to post another pic when it's all sorted. =)
yup - will keep you updated haha - cant wait to see what it turns out to be - i hope its not going to be a burial site

hrd

yup - will keep you updated haha - cant wait to see what it turns out to be - i hope its not going to be a burial site
Rear Window was the first thing I thought of when I saw the pic. =)

hrd

Even though the temp may (and probably will) drop off again at any time, there are junebugs (aka puppy playthings) and mosquitoes everywhere, and I've been sleeping with open windows for the past week, so I'm officially declaring it summer here. =) There are new plants blooming, so I took more pics.

SarahLaughsAlot

I planted so many, and have hanging baskets on the porch, but my pride and joy are my lillies =) they are almost ready to bloom i planted them from bulbs in march! and i'd kill the guy who mows our yard if he ran over them or weedeated them! lmao but i'm so excited i'll post a pic, i never knew that planting stuff would so much fun!!!! i also have some tomato plants i can't wait til i can fry up some green tomata's =) yummy!!!&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;

hrd

I planted so many, and have hanging baskets on the porch, but my pride and joy are my lillies =) they are almost ready to bloom i planted them from bulbs in march! and i'd kill the guy who mows our yard if he ran over them or weedeated them! lmao but i'm so excited i'll post a pic, i never knew that planting stuff would so much fun!!!! i also have some tomato plants i can't wait til i can fry up some green tomata's =) yummy!!!&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;
I love lilies. What kind did you plant? Can't wait to see pics. =)

Diana_Prince245

Wise as Athena
I did a container garden this year because this house didn't come with pre-established beds and I didn't have time to screw with making beds. It's mostly flowers, but I've got some basil, sweet mint, rosemary and lavender mixed it. I had catnip, but my youngest cat and his posse had a party one night and killed it.

View attachment stuff 021.JPG

milfy

Eat Me....
well he has finished the back garden now and this is the result