What's on the dinner table tonight?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
hub grilled out steaks. he also grilled some of the zucchini that i picked out of my garden today. we added salt/pepper/sliced onion and just cooked them on some foil on the grill. they turned out delish.

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
Salmon in parchment, carrots with dill, and green beans. With a big spoonful of chocolate ice cream for dessert.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
so much zucchini! tonight i made quiche. zucchini, onion, leeks, peppers, 2 kinds of cheese, milk and eggs. turned out nice and creamy. we only ate half. it is moist enough i think i can heat it in the am and have for breakfast too. ;)

MsBrightside

All these dinners sound amazing! :happy:

one2one, your meals always sound so elegant. :bow: I wonder, do you ever get the urge for a chili dog or something? :p

luvmybhm: Your quiche sounds really yummy. Do you like zucchini bread? That's always a good way to use up extra zucchini, too.

I tried to use up things I had around the house tonight, so for dinner I made shrimp scampi and baked potatoes, served with fresh watermelon, French bread, and Pinot Grigio. And for dessert: another cobbler made with the last of the blackberries from my backyard. :)

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
one2one, your meals always sound so elegant. :bow: I wonder, do you ever get the urge for a chili dog or something? :p
Of course! :p In fact my grandma used to make the best chili dogs for lunch when we'd spend the day at my grandparents house. All the cousins wanted the red bowl she put the diced onions in after she passed away. There's a place I know that makes a great bacon cheeseburger with applewood smoked bacon, smoked cheddar and smoked paprika aoili that is often my go to place when I'm in the mood for something like that.

At home I usually do simple, balanced meals, and it is often just as easy to do somewhat elegant menu items as anything else. Besides, I don't often post it if I ate a piece of fried chicken, a carrot, a hand full of mini Roma tomatoes and a couple apple slices while standing over the sink before I put the groceries away. Like last night. Tonight I made shrimp salad on whole wheat toast, dressed spring greens in oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, shallots and dill, and finished it with blueberry crisp and frozen custard.

Thank you for the very kind compliment! :)

Gingembre

radar detector
I have loads of veg to use, so tonight will be wholewheat pasta with courgettes, mange tout, peas, broccoli and mushrooms, bound together with some red pesto.

Rojodi

Pulled pork sandwiches and salad.

No steak because

1. The smoker grill hasn't yet been replaced
2. No one else likes medium rare steak

MsBrightside

Of course! :p In fact my grandma used to make the best chili dogs for lunch when we'd spend the day at my grandparents house. All the cousins wanted the red bowl she put the diced onions in after she passed away.
What a great memory. :happy:
At home I usually do simple, balanced meals, and it is often just as easy to do somewhat elegant menu items as anything else. Besides, I don't often post it if I ate a piece of fried chicken, a carrot, a hand full of mini Roma tomatoes and a couple apple slices while standing over the sink before I put the groceries away. Like last night.
LOL. For me, it would be posting every other day that I'm having leftovers again.
Tonight I made shrimp salad on whole wheat toast, dressed spring greens in oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, shallots and dill, and finished it with blueberry crisp and frozen custard.
That all sounds amazing! (in fact, I wish everyone here could invite me to dinner :p)

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
luvmybhm: Your quiche sounds really yummy. Do you like zucchini bread? That's always a good way to use up extra zucchini, too.
my hub's aunt gave me some frozen zucchini at the start of the year. it was from her garden from last year and she was trying to use up all the stuff in there to prep for this year's garden stuff. she vac packed it, so it had not turned, but it was still mushy from freezing/thaw. i have a 1960's betty crocker cookbook that had a cool recipe in it for zucchini bread that has crushed pineapple in it. i put the thawed zucchini and some pineapple chunks in my food processor and got them down to size. i made the bread and it turned out nice. it had more of a coffee cake taste than other zucchini bread i have had, but it was still delish.

i just got 3 more zucchini out of my garden. i am going to try an online source for a zucchini bread this time. i tend to like it more like denser banana bread kinda consistency with shredded zucchini in it. since this is fresh zucchini, i will shred this time instead of having to chop it up.

my mom always made zucchini squares when we were little. you boil the zucchini in lemon juice. it has cinnamon in it and such. it turns out tasting like an apple square than anything else. i made it once when hub and i were first married. he did not enjoy it. it is very rich. i won't make it this time as i don't want to eat an entire batch of it myself. (well, i do...but i won't lol)

MsBrightside

my hub's aunt gave me some frozen zucchini at the start of the year. it was from her garden from last year and she was trying to use up all the stuff in there to prep for this year's garden stuff. she vac packed it, so it had not turned, but it was still mushy from freezing/thaw. i have a 1960's betty crocker cookbook that had a cool recipe in it for zucchini bread that has crushed pineapple in it. i put the thawed zucchini and some pineapple chunks in my food processor and got them down to size. i made the bread and it turned out nice. it had more of a coffee cake taste than other zucchini bread i have had, but it was still delish.
I'm intrigued. I never would have thought of pairing zucchini and pineapple. :p

i just got 3 more zucchini out of my garden. i am going to try an online source for a zucchini bread this time. i tend to like it more like denser banana bread kinda consistency with shredded zucchini in it. since this is fresh zucchini, i will shred this time instead of having to chop it up.

my mom always made zucchini squares when we were little. you boil the zucchini in lemon juice. it has cinnamon in it and such. it turns out tasting like an apple square than anything else. i made it once when hub and i were first married. he did not enjoy it. it is very rich. i won't make it this time as i don't want to eat an entire batch of it myself. (well, i do...but i won't lol)
This sounds a lot like my grandma's zucchini bread recipe:

Beat 3 eggs, 1 c. of oil and 2 c. sugar. Stir into above mixture 2 c. peeled and grated zucchini and 3 tsp. vanilla. Sift together the following (or if you're like me and don't want to bother, just stir) and add to the above mixture: 3 c. flour, 1 t. salt, 1 t. baking soda, 2 t. cinnamon, 1/4 t. baking powder, and 1/2 c. walnuts or pecans (optional). Bake in 2 standard loaf pans in 325 degree oven for 1 h.

I don't know how you feel about all of that oil, but it usually doesn't stop me from slathering a slice with butter afterward. :p

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
lol. no worries. bring on the butter!

thanks for the recipe! i have written down to try for next round of zucchini bread! :eat2:

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
cut up some steak into strips and sauteed with sweet onions and some multicolored peppers. put that on some tortillas with shredded cheese and made some quesadillas. served with salsa. easy cooking night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts