What's your favorite potato dish/

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by smithnwesson, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Nov 9, 2014 #1

smithnwesson

smithnwesson

smithnwesson

Drug dealer

Killexia likes this.
  2. Nov 9, 2014 #2

Yakatori

Yakatori

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...

I dunno about that. It's looks an awful lot like scalloped potatoes. Which always seem to give me this certain feeling, like they came out of a box?

If we're talking a simple just-potato dish, you can't go wrong with some garlic mashed potatoes or dinner-style home-fries (with green pepper & onion).

But I also like some cold-cooked potato-cube in my Somosa-chat as well...

3. Nov 9, 2014 #3

The Orange Mage

The Orange Mage

The Orange Mage

♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

Just some good ol' potato soup. Almost no bad way to make it, but I gotta have cheese, scallions, and a little bacon in mine.

4. Nov 9, 2014 #4

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man

I can only choose one? :confused:

Somewhere on this board I have a recipe for my dutch oven cheesy potatoes. Usually it involves 5-8 pounds of sliced taters with onions, garlic and bacon topped with four pounds of shredded pepperjack and cheddar cheese.

5. Nov 9, 2014 #5

Gingembre

Gingembre

Gingembre

radar detector

Jacket potato with beans and cheese. Classic!

6. Nov 9, 2014 #6

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

3 medium Yukon gold potatoes
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    salt & pepper to taste

Slice unpeeled potatoes into quarters. Place in 9x13 baking pan; season with salt & pepper. Add garlic. Combine liquid ingredients and pour over potatoes. Roast in oven @ 400 degrees for 40 minutes, then remove pan and turn the potato wedges so all sides can brown. Return to oven and roast another 20 minutes. Serves 2-3.

Amaranthine likes this.
  7. Nov 11, 2014 #7

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

Oh, jeez ... I'm just going to have to assume you didn't really mean I was limited to a single choice. Which would be impossible. So, in no particular order:

My potato salad
    My dad's hybrid scalloped au gratin potatoes
    Sweet potato fries
    Roasted garlic potato soup with smoked Gouda
    Garlic mashed potatoes (or horseradish mashed)

8. Nov 12, 2014 #8

lypeaches

lypeaches

lypeaches

I don't know that there is a bad potato dish conceptually...only ones that have been poorly executed.

My favorite...homemade pierogies, boiled, then fried in butter, served with sour cream and carmelized onions. Little pillowy clouds of potato goodness. Mrs T's is a poor substitute.

9. Nov 12, 2014 #9

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

I'm another potato lover :eat2: Almost every supper, when I was a kid, had potatoes in it, and I don't think I ever complained about that (OK, I wasn't a fan of plain, boiled, potatoes, but that was a complaint about preparation, not that we were having potatoes again). Then, I grew up, read and heard a lot of trash talking of the potato as empty carbs--then discovered that potato skins are a really rich source of nutrients. Eat the skins and ditch the guilt :D

So like some of the others, I like potatoes in so many ways, it is hard to pick! So I'll go with three.

For very simple: the basic baked potato, split in half, each half topped with a generous amount of plain yoghurt, and that topped with a dollop of chili-garlic sauce. I just find how the textures and flavours go together is great.

As pure comfort food: Make up meatballs, and boil them in beef broth (which makes for nice meatballs, by the way). Then once you've pulled the meatballs out, throw in chopped up potatoes and boil them in the broth that has been enriched by what has come out of the meatballs. Once the tater bits are boiled, skim them out along with a bit of the remaining broth, and make mashed potaotes (of course add some butter, and again I usually mix in some yoghurt). Meanwhile reduce the broth, and when it is getting reasonably concentrated mix in corn-starch or flour to finish thickening it into a gravy (be wary, some corn starch will already be in there, so it will take less thickener than you might expect). Top your meatballs and mashed potatoes with the gravy, and it is a pretty sublime comfort food experience.

And to stretch out of the potato's usual comfort zone: as pizza crust. Slice potatoes thinly (we use a mandolin), toss them with olive oil, then line the bottom of a pizza pan with about 3 layers of overlapping slices. Bake that for a while (which will start the potatoes sticking together, as well as cooking them). Pull it out then top as you would any pizza, and put back in the oven to cook the toppings. While still hot the 'crust' is not generally strong enough to pick up and eat by hand, but it works well with fork and knife. Leftovers pulled out of the fridge the next day will have more integrity, and taste even better :eat1:

10. Nov 13, 2014 #10

Ruby Ripples

Ruby Ripples

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member

Dauphinoise potatoes, omg *faint*.

It has to be made the proper way, mandoline sliced thin potatoes, seasoning, garlic and lashings of cream. No cheese. So simple and so utterly wonderful! :eat2: :eat1: :wubu: :smitten:

Good old fashioned home made chips, deep fried, come in second, particularly if inserted into two slices of bread and butter. :D

11. Nov 13, 2014 #11

Ohio Lady

Ohio Lady

Ohio Lady

Potatoes, Potatoes, Potatoes and we can only choose one dish? How rude! .. :)

I am gonna name a few I like the best:

(1) Potato Salad
    (2) Baked Potato Covered in Butter and some sour cream
    (3) Mashed Potatoes
    (4) Fried Potatoes
    (5) Potatoes with the Jackets on them is what Daddy called them.. Oh goodness to die for.

Goodness I read here where someone else lived on them when younger and the same applies here as my Dad would have said Supper isn't Supper without some kind of potato on the table :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  12. Nov 13, 2014 #12

Ohio Lady

Ohio Lady

Ohio Lady

Yummy that last one I have never heard of or done by making the potatoes into like a pizza dough but I am gonna have to try it now.... Thank you Tad for sharing this one.

13. Nov 14, 2014 #13

TearInYourHand

TearInYourHand

TearInYourHand

Mistress Member

I'd have to say mashed potatoes. With chives!

Green Eyed Fairy likes this.
  14. Nov 14, 2014 #14

shadowedmorning

shadowedmorning

shadowedmorning

Pfft. Facebook is icky. Ask me for my Skype if you
    Baked potatoes with EVERYTHING. I tend to do baked potatoes with what-do-I-have-in-the-fridge, so I just set everything out on the counter and we fix our own: cheese, salsa, sour cream, butter, salad dressing, bacon, ham, chili, whatever is around.

It's like when I was a kid and my favorite bite on the plate was that last one where everything was mixed together. It's messy and dumb but man, do I love it.

As an aside, my favorite non-potato but featuring potato dish is Shepherd's Pie, cause deliciousness.

15. Nov 14, 2014 #15

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

Since so many people on this thread love baked potatoes, I thought I'd post a trick I learned that makes baked potatoes even more flavorful. Put the potatoes into a pot with enough water to cover them, bring the water to a boil, and boil them for thirty minutes. Then bake them in a 350-degree oven for another thirty minutes. Try it! :eat2:

16. Nov 14, 2014 #16

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

One of 50,298

Extreme Tots from Sonic. Tater tots covered with chili, cheese sauce, diced onions, ranch dressing, and jalapeno slices.

17. Nov 14, 2014 #17

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

I can see everything but the ranch dressing: it seems to go with the rest of the ensemble like a baseball cap with a tuxedo.

18. Nov 14, 2014 #18

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

One of 50,298

On paper, I see your point. But in practice, it's great.

19. Nov 14, 2014 #19

LeoGibson

LeoGibson

LeoGibson

Happy

I like a great big Yukon Gold baked with a little butter on it and a giant Porterhouse on the side!:D

20. Nov 17, 2014 #20

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Moving Forward

That ensemble reminds me of the Texas Cheese Fries served at Chilis...with ranch dressing for dipping.
    It is VERY good!!