Quantcast

When do you decide a story is done? (How big is too big?)

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

north2alaska

I'm currently working on a story, based off a dream I had. Initially I meant for it to be short, fast and steamy.

BUT I genuinely like my characters now! And I keep imagining different situations and scenes to write. Currently in my Google Doc is at 130 pages, roughly. And this is literally only one week in the story. I am getting geared up to start doing time skips, so I imagine I will be bearing the end soon.

Also are such large (pun intended ;)) stories welcome here? Objectively I could trim it down, but I'm having fun exploring with these characters.

BigElectricKat

Have a question? PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator
That's a good question. I haven't posted any new chapters to my story in a while, mainly because i haven't been inspired (I really need a muse) but also I would like to find an ending point that makes sense.

magodamilion2

This is something I have a hard time with too. I have a story now that I think has gotten unreasonably long. And I have an ending mostly written but it is way way too long and I'm struggling to figure out how to condense it.

I do think 130 pages is probably a fine length though. That's really only like three pages on here.

I think a story is too long when it feels like there are too many chapters in a row where very little changes. It can be fun to write these kinds of exploratory chapters, but I think if they come in a row in can be excessive and some need to be cut.

BigElectricKat

Have a question? PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator
I'm currently working on a story, based off a dream I had. Initially I meant for it to be short, fast and steamy.

BUT I genuinely like my characters now! And I keep imagining different situations and scenes to write. Currently in my Google Doc is at 130 pages, roughly. And this is literally only one week in the story. I am getting geared up to start doing time skips, so I imagine I will be bearing the end soon.

Also are such large (pun intended ;)) stories welcome here? Objectively I could trim it down, but I'm having fun exploring with these characters.
I think one of the stories I have on here is up to chapter 18. There is a character limit of 10,000 characters (spaces included) so I've often had to condense to fit for space.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
When I was younger I'd quite enjoyed some Lewis Caroll stuff, so I picked up his collected works. And there I met "Bruno and Sylvie" (IIRC). It had parts as clever, as charming, and as funny as the Alice stories. But it went on, and on, and on. I got through it eventually, but despite the cleverness it became a pure slog.

Please don't write Bruno and Sylvie! Have an end point in mind. If you love your characters, go ahead and write several stories about them. But remember that if you want people to read your story, respect their time, and don't make the story longer than it needs to be.

north2alaska

This is something I have a hard time with too. I have a story now that I think has gotten unreasonably long. And I have an ending mostly written but it is way way too long and I'm struggling to figure out how to condense it.

I do think 130 pages is probably a fine length though. That's really only like three pages on here.

I think a story is too long when it feels like there are too many chapters in a row where very little changes. It can be fun to write these kinds of exploratory chapters, but I think if they come in a row in can be excessive and some need to be cut.
Good point! I have a hard time gauging how the pages transfer over to here. I want it complete before I post it

north2alaska

When I was younger I'd quite enjoyed some Lewis Caroll stuff, so I picked up his collected works. And there I met "Bruno and Sylvie" (IIRC). It had parts as clever, as charming, and as funny as the Alice stories. But it went on, and on, and on. I got through it eventually, but despite the cleverness it became a pure slog.

Please don't write Bruno and Sylvie! Have an end point in mind. If you love your characters, go ahead and write several stories about them. But remember that if you want people to read your story, respect their time, and don't make the story longer than it needs to be.
Excellent tip, thank you! I have an end point in mind that hopefully will be a quick, but eventful, trip to get there. I just can't get carried away

Jerry Thomas

I personally prefer shorter stories that I can read in a few sittings. If the story is too long, I either get lost (especially online) or lose interest. But that's just my personal opinion, and I have written a few longer stories myself (my longest was about 100 pages, I think). If your story is getting too long, maybe you could also consider offering it as an ebook on CreateSpace or a similar platform. It's not necessary to charge the readers if you so choose.

Latest posts