When is spicy TOO spicy??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

JoyJoy

I like spicy foods, but not foods that are so hot they burn my mouth. The only exception to this is wasabi....I get a thrill from eating it, for some reason.

lypeaches

I love spicy food too...it's rare that it can get too hot, but it does happen on occasion. Very rarely with restaurant food though.

diggers1917

Cynical Romantic
I love spicy food, and I enjoy quite a bit of 'kick' in curries, chillies, etc. However, there is a definite point when 'pokey' becomes 'mouth acopolypse' and you can't taste anything but HOTHOTHOTHOT!
There is the side effect that doesn't seem to have been touched on (prudish? Maybe I'm being coarse?), but with really hot food the morning afterwards...your arse feels like those films of space shuttles being launched into space. Not good.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
There is the side effect that doesn't seem to have been touched on (prudish? Maybe I'm being coarse?), but with really hot food the morning afterwards...your arse feels like those films of space shuttles being launched into space. Not good.
In Texas they sell a brand of hot sauce called 'Fire in the Hole'.

JoyJoy

Speaking of spicy....a friend and I went out for sushi today...and I got all of her wasabi, plus my own. She just sat there and laughed as my face turned red with very bite....and I loved every minute of it. :D Good times.

pinuplola

plump platinum blonde
well, im a southern belle so spicy is in my blood. i can take things pretty hot usually. but last summer we were at a crawfish boil and the spices were so strong that i couldnt even really enjoy the food at all. by the time we left my lips hurt so bad that i could hardly put lipstick on! we had to stop for icecream to soothe the burn :)

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
Speaking of spicy....a friend and I went out for sushi today...and I got all of her wasabi, plus my own. She just sat there and laughed as my face turned red with very bite....and I loved every minute of it. :D Good times.
I agree..wasabi is the best thing ever!! My sushi friend and I sit there and try to get that burning up our nose. We must look like lunatics one of us sitting there choking and eyes watering while the other one says "Oh, man you got one?!?" all jealous and pouty lol

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
well, im a southern belle so spicy is in my blood. i can take things pretty hot usually. but last summer we were at a crawfish boil and the spices were so strong that i couldnt even really enjoy the food at all. by the time we left my lips hurt so bad that i could hardly put lipstick on! we had to stop for icecream to soothe the burn :)
I love how how ice cream can be medicinal for so many things :wubu:

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Wasn't it Nietzsche who said, "Whatever does not kill me outright makes me stronger"?

I don't think he ever tried wasabi, though.

IdahoCynth

Cockchafer
I can't do spicy. I have bbq wings never hot wings. I use mild salsa and sometimes it is too hot. I don't even like black pepper on my food. I am a wuss.

Miss Vickie

I love spicy food but I draw the line at when it physically hurts my mouth or burns my tongue. I can handle spicy foods like wasabe a lot better than chile spice for some reason. Curries I can handle VERY spicy without too much difficulty.

altered states

señor member
The other night at a local Indian chain place (Baluchis) I had lamb vindaloo. It was the spiciest thing I've ever eaten - I'd had it at that place before, but it had never been so hot. The chef must have been in a sadistic mood. I was literally crying as I ate it and my gf was like, "So you're having fun, right?" And actually I was, except a few minutes after I walked out of there I felt like the larvae from Alien was trying to gnaw its way out of my stomach. I wasn't right until maybe 48 hours later, so for now I'm taking myself out of the game.

The Obstreperous Ms. J

Omniscient Minority
There is no such thing as too spicy, hot in my book. I'm a bona fide heat junkie.

Remind me to tell y'all the time I discovered Dave's Insanity and how it is possible to drink a whole gallon of milk in less than 10 minutes.

Canonista

Rep Dealer
There is no such thing as "too spicy".

My guy friends love to challenge me to "hotness wars", where we see who can handle the heat...

And I always win.

I think the "worst" combo was jalapenos, in Devil's Piss hot sauce, with wasabi shmear and a bit of curry powder, on top of a tortilla chip.

It was quite good... lol
:wubu::wubu::wubu::wubu:

Marry me!:p

I ordered Thai food once and the cook (from Thailand) came out and asked me if I was sure I wanted it that hot. I said yes and he walked away sorta shaking his head in disbelief. I ate the whole thing, too.

altered states

señor member
I ordered Thai food once and the cook (from Thailand) came out and asked me if I was sure I wanted it that hot. I said yes and he walked away sorta shaking his head in disbelief. I ate the whole thing, too.
The only decent restaurant near my gramps' place in Florida is Thai and the waiter always asks "Mild, spicy, or Thai spicy?" I've never had the nerve to order "Thai spicy."