why do you think you are thin?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Chimpi

into the shining sun
What did you think would happen, Mini, when you equated being thin to having "good genes?" I think she rightfully said what she said. It may be reading into it a little too much to some people, but she's got an excellent point and I caught it as well.

Mini

Right, not nice
What did you think would happen, Mini, when you equated being thin to having "good genes?" I think she rightfully said what she said. It may be reading into it a little too much to some people, but she's got an excellent point and I caught it as well.

I figured that exactly that would happen, and I think it's a matter of some people being too tightly wound if they're reading malice into my comment.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
I've always wondered about your secret, Stan. Rosewater, eh? Interesting.
Again... The rosewater is only part of it Waxy. Like I posted earlier, it's mostly what's in my jeans.

I'm on thin ice . . . does that count?
So that's why you are such a cool lady!

amen. stylish.

I'm not thin. Nothing else to add.
Stylish you say...!? Just wait until you see those dance pictures... :eek: ;) :)

Mini,I realize you didn't mean it at all in a negative way but I really don't think "skinny" genes are any better than "fat" genes.I think that in this fat hating culture in which we live we are so utterly programmed to believe that everything skinny= good that it can take a bit of vigilance to overcome this way of thinking.I'm enjoying this thread quite a bit though and I certainly appreciate the thoughtful replies everyone is giving!

I'm completely with you Wistful... whether it's "fat" jeans or "skinny" jeans, there really isn't such a thing as "bad" jeans.

Chimpi

into the shining sun
I figured that exactly that would happen, and I think it's a matter of some people being too tightly wound if they're reading malice into my comment.

No one is getting malice out of your post. Wistful started off by saying that she was aware that you did not mean it in a negative manner. I recognize that you were not being negative as well.
I don't think it's a matter of being wound too tightly. It's a constant portrayal that being thin is the correct and ideal body size and being fat is inferior. Or, in other words, you could say that 'thin genes are good genes' and/or 'fat genes are bad genes'. ;)

Mini

Right, not nice
No one is getting malice out of your post. Wistful started off by saying that she was aware that you did not mean it in a negative manner. I recognize that you were not being negative as well.
I don't think it's a matter of being wound too tightly. It's a constant portrayal that being thin is the correct and ideal body size and being fat is inferior. Or, in other words, you could say that 'thin genes are good genes' and/or 'fat genes are bad genes'. ;)

I must have missed that. My mistake.

Although I maintain that serial killer genes are "bad."

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
The thought of serial killer jeans just crossed my mind... Now that is bad!

Then there is the cereal killer jeans, that are so tight you can't even manage a breakfast of Special K.....

and on topic, I wonder how many people are thin compared to what they think their body would naturally be at, if they didn't care about their weight at all? And vice versa....there are lots of 'thin' people who fight to keep their weights up, and 'fat' people who fight to keep their weight down. I've often thought that we needed words or pithy phrases in english to mean 'thinner that I would be if I didn't try' and 'fatter than I would be if I didn't try' or something like that.

IrishBard

womble/leprechaun hybrid!
I'm thin, or at least average, because of an inability to keep still, a decent amount of exercise each day (round about 2 hours a day of walking around the countryside, cycling, swimming or in the gym, plus kick boxing training) and a rich and varied, but always "Balanced", diet.

I also have a nasty guilt complex about not doing my fairshare of work, and if I ever lie down (except to sleep, of course), I'll always remeber that something needs to be done, and I can't relax until that's sorted, and then I get another thing on my mind, and so on. It is a nasty vicious cycle, and even if I am bed ridden, I will always fight my way out of the covers and begin to do it.

olwen

Disco Bear
Then there is the cereal killer jeans, that are so tight you can't even manage a breakfast of Special K.....

and on topic, I wonder how many people are thin compared to what they think their body would naturally be at, if they didn't care about their weight at all? And vice versa....there are lots of 'thin' people who fight to keep their weights up, and 'fat' people who fight to keep their weight down. I've often thought that we needed words or pithy phrases in english to mean 'thinner that I would be if I didn't try' and 'fatter than I would be if I didn't try' or something like that.

The beauty of the English language is that we are at liberty to make up words. I think you should do just that. But just make em sexy. Three or four syllables ought to do it....

Littleghost

Oh, Frickenstein.
With me it's partially metabolism. When I actually am hungry I get the usual "where do you put it all" type comments. I once even took on a pizza challenge with a friend. A word of advice, it's not the fullness that gets you, it's the tired jaw and getting worn out on the taste of whatever you're eating.

And the other part? Memory. I've heard (please fill me in on the validity of this) that some fat people can't tell when they're full; I've unintentionally trained myself to forget that I'm hungry. I'll either just ignore it or get distracted sometimes and then hours later, realize "Oh! Food." The 'training' was due to having lots of highschool classes far apart, runnning around all over and then having to wait through seminar and first and second lunch until my turn. We had vending machines everywhere but weren't allowed to use them until lunch or after school. It's amazing how long such a bad habit has lasted.

TheSadeianLinguist

Coin-Operated
Everyone stop paying attention to Mini. I have to hear his bitching about his self-inflicted wounds after the fact.

I'm thin partially because of genetics and partially because of lifestyle. If I ate whatever I wanted, I'd be thin. I am THINNER because of lifestyle choices. My body's not programmed to go up to 500 lbs. It just isn't and I don't know why.

Littleghost

Oh, Frickenstein.
Everyone stop paying attention to Mini. I have to hear his bitching about his self-inflicted wounds after the fact.

I'm thin partially because of genetics and partially because of lifestyle. If I ate whatever I wanted, I'd be thin. I am THINNER because of lifestyle choices. My body's not programmed to go up to 500 lbs. It just isn't and I don't know why.

Seems we've got the "savanna" package. Come the next ice age, we're screwed. :eek:

MisterGuy

I'm thin for the usual complex of reasons

1) genetics
2) don't eat that much
3) exercise a decent amount and walk every day

Also, I was raised in a family where eating and mealtimes were not that big of a deal, and consequently, I didn't learn to reward myself/manage depression/etc. with food. I use alcohol instead, oops...

Latest posts