Wondering about everyones favorites?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

extra_fat_guy

Bringing sexy back!!!!!!!
I was just wondering what everyones favorite tv show, movie, book, and sport is if they have favorite ones?

I will get this started my favorite tv show would have to be Simpsons or Family guy. Can't beat a tv show or a cartoon with a fat guy in it. Favorite movie I would have to say it is the Waterboy . I haven't read a lot of books, so not sure about that one but i like historical fiction. As you can tell by my favorite movie I love football. I also, coach football but i like basketball too.

Zoe

My favorite sports are football and ice hockey (yay)! :smitten: That was the easy one...

One of the best movies I've seen within last three months is Lost In Translation and one of the best books I've read within the same time is The Other Side of Silence (André Brink). However, I wouldn't name those as my all time favorites, there are so many interesting movies and books still waiting! The favorite tv show... Well, I like everything from Simpsons :D to different kinds of documentaries.

Amor

Family guy is definitly my favorite TV show...I have a big stuffed stewie in my dorm room :). I haven't really liked any of the movies I've seen recently...so my favorite old movie would probably have to be Nightmare before Christmas (I'm a big danny elfman fan), or The Shinning (because its one of the few horror movies that really scares me)- I don't really have a favorite book - but love (almost) everything from Jack Higgins. Not a huge sports fan - but I like watching football (even though my schools not the greatest at it) and basketball.

Baby Robot

As far as my favorites go, I'm a sucker for three shows, and will watch them anytime. Jeopardy! For some reason, my trivia-brain is hardwired for this show, I'm told I'd do well. The Simpsons: I'm a big Family Guy and Adult Swim fan, but compared to the golden seasons of the Simpsons (five through about nine) they're both still imitating the master. And, somewhat fatally for my indie cred, America's Funniest Home Videos. I have absoultely no idea why I stopped watching this show as a child. Football in the groin never loses its visceral and comedic punch.

Movies are tough for me to narrow down, because they speak to so many different emotions. I guess it's the obvious choice, but The Godfather I still up there among my favorites. I'm a huge fan of Wes Anderson's movies (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, The Royal Tennenbaums, The Life Aquatic and really like Pedro Almodovar and David Fincher as directors.

Books are just about as tough for me to parse when it comes to a favorite. My favorite author is probably John Fowles (Who died a few weeks ago) and my favorite work of his was probably The French Lieutenant's Woman. My favorite poet is T.S. Eliot, although I enjoy Pounds as well, and a little of Bukowski's non-misogynistic stuff.

I really only like sports that I can do well at while playing. I'm sure sychronized swimmers are top athletes, but between that and a Rugby game, I'm taking Rugby. Same thing with American football, and some mixed martial arts, recently. Also I've been getting into college basketball because it's so awesomely uinpredictable.

I'm going to add a category here: Music. It's probably the toughest one for me to pick from, but my favorite band is probably Radiohead. That said, I like everything from indie rock (Decemberists, Neutral Milk Hotel, Sleater-Kinney) to old Hardcore (Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat) to first-wave Punk (Queers, Ramones, Clash) to indie dance/electroclash (Felix, DFA, Le Tigre's dancier stuff) to Jazz, to Death Metal, to old Country, to Soul.

Fortune Cookie

I don't get a chance to watch a lot of TV/movies or read books (darn college!) but I do have me some favorites.

I love House MD, Law & Order: SVU, The Colbert Report, and classics like I Love Lucy and Happy Days

Movies I love include Twelve Angry Men, Bridget Jones' Diary, Anchorman, and Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle

For an English major, my favorite books aren't all that literary: Bridget Jones' Diary, The Time Machine, books by Robert Fulghum... I'll read pretty much anything to be honest, though. I'm taking a course on Science Fiction now and it's pretty cool.

And as for sports, can't say I watch/play any, other than bedroom aerobics :rolleyes:

~Fortune Cookie

bigwideland

Shows,

Like you I love the Simpsons, their take the micky out of social normals and play on the stupid nature of humanity, all good stuff for a laugh. The visual situation comedy is also very cleaver. I enjoy CSI, I also saw another show Pimping My Ride, this was great, I mean the way they spoke the American Slang was so cool, remember I am from Australia. The nature series the British Isles from the BBC, was very good. A local show "The Glass House" is very witty and has good comedy.

The last good movie I saw was "War of the Worlds" just so shocking.:eek:

Books, I am reading a Fantasy novel, with war, kings and dragons, "Through The Darkness" by Harry Turtledove, not bad, but I like the books with a Lord of the Rings feel.

BWL

Blondeegrldd

Shows - I am completely hooked on Lost, Forensic Files, and American Justice. Whenever I can I try to catch the live trials on Court TV, but you can't really consider them a "show." I am also a big sucker for King of Queens (Kevin James yummy) and Seinfeld

Movies - I like all kinds of movies but lately my favorites have been Indie-made like Thirteen and Garden State. The last good movie I saw in the theaters was War of the Worlds (I didn't even think I would like it all that much)

Sports - Baseball and football are my absolute faves, but I can enjoy a good hockey/basketball game, too. Don't make me sit and watch soccer. Bore me to death :( The only sport I can really play with apparent talent is softball.

Music - First country (AJ, KC, Johnny Cash, Brooks & Dunn, Keith Urban, etc), then punk (Relient K, Yellowcard, Switchfoot), then any other kind of rock besides heavy metal (Three Doors Down, Creed, Staind, Lifehouse, Foo Fighters, Nickelback), and I've also enjoyed some good pop and r&b here and there

tankgirl

Phreakoid.
I like this way to answer.
Shows: Don't normally watch anything but movies. When I do, it's racing, monster trucks, historical stuff, or anime (rare cause I'm the only one in the house that likes anime). Oh. And bike shows. Even though my SO wishes gonorrhea on Jesse James and most the rest of OCC, I think it's interesting stuff... Then again, I usually watch just to tell the TV how I could do it better...

Sports: Motorsports all the way, baby. Or anything extreme. Snowboarders and skateboarders and such get props with me, cause that shit gotta HURT! And hockey. Go you Canadians, eh? So fuckin nice and you got a great sport. Heh. But mostly races and demo derbies and monster trucks and such. And XSports, when I can. Or whatever it's called.

Movies: Uh? Too many to list. Stoner flicks (How High, the Friday tril), action (Ghosts of Mars, Constantine), horror (May *shudder!!!* She couldn't make any friends, so she MADE herself a friend... *twitch*), gore (the Saw), sci-fi (Pitch Black/Riddick), suspense (Ohe Hour Photo), comedy (Smoky and the Bandit 1-3), CGI films (Shrek I + II, Robots), zombie movies (Dawn of the Dead).... where the hell does the Matrix trilogy fit into genres?.... fantasy (Lord of the Rings ext tril, Harry Potter 1-3), really old cartoons (Asterix the Gaul, anyone? How about Dot and the Whale?)... aw hell. I'll watch about ANYTHING except for a few flicks: Field of Dreams, Dances with Wolves, I REFUSE to watch 40 Days and 40 Nights again, Monster in Law SUCKED.... you get the idea. But more or less, I'll watch about anything.

Music: This is almost more ecclectic than my movie collection. Suffice to say I like about anything from Ace of Base to the Zombie bands (Rob, White, or Spider's group). This includes Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Coil, Dead Can Dance, Enigma, Future Sound of London, Grateful Dead, Gustav Holst, Insane Clown Posse, Janis Joplin, Korn, Led Zeppelin, Alanis Morissette, No Doubt, October Project, Pink Floyd, Queensrÿche, Ray Stevens, Sting, Type O Negative, Writ on Water, Yanni, and those Zombies I mentioned earlier. Now figure out the size of my collection by the way I named those off. Heh!
Skip the gospel, kick the opera, kill the fucker who came up with "r&b", Christian rock, get 90% of thrash and punk music RIGHT outta there, and shave about a quarter the country genre, and you have what I listen to. But I like hymns in their original language. I'm weird like that. Then again, I'm a great fan of languages... whatever the -phile term for that is. Too bad I'm not educated enough to actually be a linguist.

What GAMES y'all play? Right now, I play no computer games except Y!... I'm so picky about what I play on the computer... I miss Doom... >.< And Doom II, and Outcast, and Doom SE, and Duke Nukem 3D, and Killer Mutant Space Bats of Doom... and... *sigh*
Got the complete Tony Hawk collection for PS (and all of them have my created skater Mikey on them ^.^ blue haired weirdo.), and I don't know ho many now racing games. Truck racing, NASCAR racing, cycle racing, CYBER racing- ever hear of Kinetica?- feh. And a buttload of Spyro the Dragon games, cause Spyro's cool, if you turn the sound all off. Few RPGs (Legend of Dragoon, Xenosaga, Arc the Lad, Valkyrie Profile, Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Scion of Sorcery, Baldur's Gate.... A Tenchu game...

[edit]
Books: Anything Anne McCaffrey, Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth novels, the Death's Gate Cycle by Margaret Weid and Tracy Hickman... John Barnes got some good stuff... Ehm... The Harry Potter books (though #6 was fucking LOONEY!!!)... *looks at sagging bookshelf* Ehm... The Vlad Taltos and Dragaera books by Steven Brust... I have a nice manga collection (Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon, Shoujo Kakumi Utena, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, a buttload more)... The JtHM comics, big collection book, and Squee books.... You get the idea. Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichart... I lose track of all the books I have or have read and liked.
[/edit]

loves2laugh

extra_fat_guy said:
I was just wondering what everyones favorite tv show, movie, book, and sport is if they have favorite ones?

i love family guy and the simpsons too i am even going to say i tolerate american dad. i also like whose line is it anyway.

i am really into asimov and am now reading the robots of dawn.

the only sport i get into is little league and then only when my nephews play.

:D

SnapDragon

Filthy Letch
extra_fat_guy said:
TV show: don't care. Used to like sitcoms like Red Dwarf and the Ronnie Barker stuff, but there hasn't been anything good for a while. The BBC are running a series of alternative adaptations of Shakespeare's plays currently, which I quite like.
film (British for 'movie'): The Matrix
book: George Orwell's 1984. Not something to read if you're having a bad day, but a highly thought-provoking piece of literature.
sport: archery.

It's Just Me

OK, here goes.

Favorite TV shows:

Absolutely Fabulous, Angel, Black Adder, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Daily Show, Family Guy, Red Dwarf, SCTV, The Simpsons, South Park, Star Trek: original series, Next Generation, DS9, Voyager

Favorite Movies:

Should I go alphabetical? (Well you did for the TV shows)... OK then.

Adaptation, Alien/Aliens, The Big Lebowski, Bubba Ho-Tep, Donnie Darko, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Fight Club, Immortal Beloved, anything Kubrick, Lord of the Rings, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, Near Dark, O Brother Where Art Thou, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Shaun of the Dead, This is Spinal Tap, 28 Days Later, Young Frankenstein. 1950's - 60's Sci-fis - The Day the Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Planet of the Apes (1968 - not the Tim Burton travesty), and anything starring Vincent Price. Oh! - almost forgot Hammer films - The Quatermass Experiment, and Quatermass and the Pit, and anything/everything with Christopher Lee (best Dracula ever) in it. Add to that list virtually every B/C to grade Z Sci-fi that was ever made - "The Cheesier, the Better," that's my motto.

Books:

Fiction - Mostly sci-fi and horror. A few off the top of my head: Hyperion & The Fall of Hyperion, by Dan Simmons. Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. Doomsday Book & Lincoln's Dreams, by Connie Willis. Also like John Varley, Arthur C. Clark, Vernor Vinge, H. P. Lovecraft, A Voyage to Arcturus, by David Lindsay, The Worm Ourobouros, by E. R. Eddison, The House on the Borderland, by William Hope Hodgson. Non-sci-fi - earlier stuff by Tom Robbins, and some of Christopher Moore's books - Fluke and Lamb spring to mind. I like a lot of non-fiction too, particularly gardening books.

Sports:

Sports? What the heck is that?

Music:

Would take more space than this forum allows, so I'll pass on that for now. Unless you really want to know, and/or are morbidly curious/extremely bored. In either case, feel free to private message me and you'll get the full (and excruciatingly long) list.