World Cup 2010 Thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
OK, so it's exactly 1 month until the start of the World Cup, which will turn me into an insufferable obsessive soccer fan, tolerable only to other aficionados of the Beautiful Game. And even some of them will inch away from me in public. But thank heavens for the internet. I'll be posting pretty frequently. Feel free to comment, argue, support your team, etc.

Know nothing about soccer or the World Cup, but vaguely interested? Ask questions, I'm happy to explain, or steer you towards the games most worth watching for a novice. Except if you're rooting for Germany. Then you are dead to me.:mad:

Can't wait until June 11th!!!

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
OK, so it's exactly 1 month until the start of the World Cup, which will turn me into an insufferable obsessive soccer fan, tolerable only to other aficionados of the Beautiful Game. And even some of them will inch away from me in public. But thank heavens for the internet. I'll be posting pretty frequently. Feel free to comment, argue, support your team, etc.

Know nothing about soccer or the World Cup, but vaguely interested? Ask questions, I'm happy to explain, or steer you towards the games most worth watching for a novice. Except if you're rooting for Germany. Then you are dead to me.:mad:

Can't wait until June 11th!!!

Stoked!

And I still have residual love for the Dutch left over from Beijing. No love for Germany though. :D

Proner

Scruffy Scruffy
Sure I'm impatient too! And "Go France!", we have great players the only thing they need is to create a team spirit, if they manage to get it they could do a very good world cup.

By the way why so much anger on Germany?

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
Sure I'm impatient too! And "Go France!", we have great players the only thing they need is to create a team spirit, if they manage to get it they could do a very good world cup.

By the way why so much anger on Germany?

You've got a hard first round, sir. Probably the second most competitive group.

Proner

Scruffy Scruffy
You've got a hard first round, sir. Probably the most competitive group.

Yes and as the French team don't play very well it will be hard. I mean we have very great player but not able to play at their top in the national team so we will see...
But for me the real "death group" is the G one with Brasil, Portugal and Côte d'Ivoire and North Corea.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Cool! A World Cup thread!

I'm an England supporter, and always have been since Canada hasn't been in the World Cup since '86. I don't get it. Soccer is huge up here. Everyone played it when I was a kid, and it seems like kids still do, but we just plain suck at it...

On another note, in regards to the Germany comments, when I was growing up we used to get German games on our PBS station on weekends so I grew up watching German soccer more than anything...to this day I never really know why they played it...Weird.

Red

I will chime in and say yes, I'm vaguely interested. I have never actually been to a football match but I do like to watch England play during the world cup, usually down the pub as I like the atmosphere. There's something very comforting about being in a 'united' environment, it's nice to feel involved and it's always fun to shout 'Rooooooooooney' at the top of my lungs!

I'm rooting for an England - Spain final, someone will end up sleeping in the living room that night :p

Proner

Scruffy Scruffy
Great avatar MattB, Chelsea made an awesome season and break the cliché that Chelsea is just a rough defensive team and when you have players like Drogba, Malouda, Anelka, Lampard, Kalou at their best you could be sure that they will score an avalanche of goals!

By the way I would like see Côte d'Ivoire pass the first tour as they play a real attractive game and they have an amazing player with Drogba. But sadly they are in a very competitive group.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Great avatar MattB, Chelsea made an awesome season and break the cliché that Chelsea is just a rough defensive team and when you have players like Drogba, Malouda, Anelka, Lampard, Kalou at their best you could be sure that they will score an avalanche of goals!

By the way I would like see Côte d'Ivoire pass the first tour as they play a real attractive game and they have an amazing player with Drogba. But sadly they are in a very competitive group.

Avalanche of goals is right! 8-0 in the last game against a team that had beaten them before...

Back on topic though, just heard that van Nistelrooy was left off of Holland, and no Ronaldinho for Brazil...

rellis10

tuh-maw-tow
ENGLAND!

It's been 44 years but we're going to do it this time. USA, Algeria, Slovenia....pretty straight forward group but we generally choke around the quarters/semis, lets hope we manage to get some momentum going before that.

Even though i really REALLY want my country to win the whole thing i dont have anything against the USA team, i think they could spring a surprise and creep up on teams. And also the Dutch, they deserve to do well in a tournament as they're perenial underachievers like us.

Proner

Scruffy Scruffy
Back on topic though, just heard that van Nistelrooy was left off of Holland, and no Ronaldinho for Brazil...

For Van Nistelrooy he's nearly 34 and was injured for a long time this year so it's not really a surprise and Holland still have valuable offensive players with Kuyt, van Persie, Huntelaar or Robben.

Concerning Brazil I don't really what to think about the Dunga's list, no Ronaldinho, no Diego and no Pato who are three very great players... well it's still Brazil and it still one of the favorites but I didn't expect this list.

rellis10

tuh-maw-tow
Concerning Brazil I don't really what to think about the Dunga's list, no Ronaldinho, no Diego and no Pato who are three very great players... well it's still Brazil and it still one of the favorites but I didn't expect this list.

Not that i'm an expert, but i dont think Brazil and Argentina are going to do well this time. Brazil seem to be falling away from their quality from a few years ago and Argentina have been very inconsistent in qualifying perhaps because Maradona is just not a great manager.

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
I'm not really a huge fan of the US team, but I am sad for Charlie Davies. Poor kid has worked so hard to get back on the field. :(

Proner

Scruffy Scruffy
Not that i'm an expert, but i dont think Brazil and Argentina are going to do well this time. Brazil seem to be falling away from their quality from a few years ago and Argentina have been very inconsistent in qualifying perhaps because Maradona is just not a great manager.

The issue for me is that Dunga is obsessed as making Brazil a strong defensive team which is not the spirit of brazilian game, so I'm not very optimist too.

True for Maradona he's not a good manager, he's only here to give win spirit to the players and that don't seems to work very well, the other issue is that Messi don't play at his best with national team.

I'm not really a huge fan of the US team, but I am sad for Charlie Davies. Poor kid has worked so hard to get back on the field. :(

Me too! When I heard about his accident I was so schocked, the fact he could play so soon after that is a big proof of his determination.

Agent 007

Shtick man
And I still have residual love for the Dutch left over

Why thank you, Ash! :blush::wubu:

Personally I'm not much of a soccer person, but I'll be rooting for my own country. On the other I don't really think the Netherlands will make it to the first place, the best we ever did was second place in the 1970's (two time). I kind of hope England will win; they deserve it after 44 years.

I'm also a fan of Van der Sar and there were some rumours going on about whether or not he would go to South Africa, but I understand that he's not going after all. Kind of a pity because he's such a good goalkeeper.

Moonshadow_Girl

I'm definitely interested in World Cup! My DH is from England, so this first round, heck, first game, should be interesting. We haven't decided how we're watching The Game, at home, at a pub/bar, or at a party. Even though my DH isn't a rabid football fan, growing up in England, you can't help but follow football. I still haven't committed to which team to root for, maybe by the second round (I know, I know! Fair weather fan! Arrghhh!).

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
Why thank you, Ash! :blush::wubu:

Personally I'm not much of a soccer person, but I'll be rooting for my own country. On the other I don't really think the Netherlands will make it to the first place, the best we ever did was second place in the 1970's (two time). I kind of hope England will win; they deserve it after 44 years.

Haha. You're welcome!

I won't say that the Dutch won't win the Cup, but it is pretty unlikely. My brother is pulling for Brazil, as he always does, but I think I'm behind Spain. I'm pretty fickle, though, so I'll probably change my mind as we go.

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
Definitely interested in the World Cup. I'm really looking forward to it, even though I'll likely miss out on a lot of it. :(

Dutch and U.S. fan here... U.S. 'cuz hey, home team, and Dutch because my grandmother's second husband (who got me into soccer in the first place) was from the Netherlands and would always root for them.

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
Just have to say that my soccer husband Mr. MuleVariations is going to be very happy when he comes back to this thread.

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
I'll give you guys fair warning that the World Cup brings out my sports rage just a few notches shy of a Bruins Canadiens game. Anyway, I can't wait to cheer my country on in crushing the expectations of the most wildly overrated team in the world.

Also wouldn't mind if a certain greasy diving Portuguese prick shattered his foot.