World Cup 2010 Thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
Just have to say that my soccer husband Mr. MuleVariations is going to be very happy when he comes back to this thread.
Very, very happy, my soccer-ball shaped betrothed. :p

So many great comments! Where to start?

-Glad to find so many Dutch supporters. I think they will do well as always, but will probably lose in the Semifinals when Van Persie and Snijder are both sent for fighting...each other. :doh: In all seriousness I fear they have not yet corrected what doomed them in the European Championship -their lack of defense. They had all the offense in the world, but an organized, tactical team could break down their back 4 too easily.

-Dunga is doing as a manager exactly what he did as a player - building a brick wall around the Brazilian goal. This is the biggest Brazilian team I can remember, with Julio Cesar, Maicon, Lucio, Luis Fabiano. Even Kaka, their playmaker, is what 6'2"? I think they will be really hard to beat, though less fun to watch than they've been since...1994, when Dunga played, and they lifted the cup. Brazil and Ivory Coast come out of that group, in my opinion.

- I too feel badly for Charlie Davies. It's amazing he's even alive, it's a great story. But the manager had to do it, I think. With him out, I think the U.S. should only take 2 forwards: Altidore and maybe Johnson. Stock the team with midfielders and play a 4-5-1. Taking the other potential strikers is just a waste of bench space.

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
Sure I'm impatient too! And "Go France!", we have great players the only thing they need is to create a team spirit, if they manage to get it they could do a very good world cup.

By the way why so much anger on Germany?
Just like Argentina, France has very good players, but a bad manager. Personally, I think France have not yet figured out how to play without Zidane, who simply ran everything, and Domenech is NOT the man to show them how. I'm not rooting against them, but 50/50 that they go out in the first round.

Why hatred for Germany? Because it's fun!

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
ENGLAND!

It's been 44 years but we're going to do it this time. USA, Algeria, Slovenia....pretty straight forward group but we generally choke around the quarters/semis, lets hope we manage to get some momentum going before that.

Even though i really REALLY want my country to win the whole thing i dont have anything against the USA team, i think they could spring a surprise and creep up on teams. And also the Dutch, they deserve to do well in a tournament as they're perenial underachievers like us.
It would be nice if England did well. Steven Gerrard is my favourite player, and I'm hoping Capello figures out how to use him and Lampard together, or has the balls to sit a good player in favor of a team system, which was Erikson and McLaren's big failing. Rooney is unstoppable at the moment, but goalkeeper and an injury prone central and right defense worry me...

mejix

meh
my strategy is very simple. this year i'll use my vacation/furlough days to watch the whole damned thing and get plastered pretty much every day.

not sure where my allegiances will be. i like brazil but enough is enough. how will spain screw up this time? i will root for the u.s. of course but i don't think we'll get very far. hope i am wrong.

rellis10

tuh-maw-tow
not sure where my allegiances will be. i like brazil but enough is enough. how will spain screw up this time? i will root for the u.s. of course but i don't think we'll get very far. hope i am wrong.
Spain won the European Championship last time, they have a very good squad and are in good form. i think they may finally have got the monkey off their back and will go far in this competition...if not win.

ladle

Back on Top
Pffffft
We all know New Zealand will probably win it....

mango

Mustachio Nut
Go Aussies!

Our list isn't as strong as 4 years ago so I don't know if we can go as far as we did in Germany (came 2nd in our group and then got knocked out in a quarter-final / controversial late free goal kick /dive to Italy who went on to win the whole thing).

The group C England v USA match looks like an interesting contest. :happy:

Australia drew a pretty rough group with Germany in group D but we may be able to snag 2nd spot (over Ghana & Serbia)

I think Group G is this year's 'group of death' with Brazil, Ivory Coast, Korea & Portugal, no?

Of course we all know that if Australia does meet England in a knockout final, we will thrash them like we do in every other sport... can anyone say 'football lesson'?? :p
> It could happen with the runner's up of group D playing the winner of group C (England? USA?)

I found all the info on the dates & groups etc here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_World_Cup

Hopefully in this years tournament final, the leading goalkicker won't be put off when the opposition calls his mother a terrorist. Zidane Psych'd!! :doh:

:D

rellis10

tuh-maw-tow
I fear for Australia this time around. Germany will most probably take the top spot but i wouldnt count out Serbia quite so much. They finished top of their qualification group if i remember correctly and are one of the dark horses in the tournament this year.

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
I fear for Australia this time around. Germany will most probably take the top spot but i wouldnt count out Serbia quite so much. They finished top of their qualification group if i remember correctly and are one of the dark horses in the tournament this year.
Germany somehow always manages to take the top spot, don't they? As for the 2nd spot, I give it to Ghana, although if Essien is still hurt, that changes things quite a bit... :(

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
How the HELL do you leave Javier Zanetti off of Argentina! The captain of Inter Milan (who are about to lift the Champions League Trophy) - a versatile defender with loads of experience in Serie A and multiple World Cups, and a man who can run all day long going into a World Cup where altitude will make fatigue a big factor?! Heinze has a place, and Zanetti and Cambiasso do not!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Wow.

warwagon86

All Over The World
i will be working in the states when the world cup is on!! gutted i will miss alot of games but im irish and there is only one team i will be supporting:

NoWayOut

ENGLAND!

It's been 44 years but we're going to do it this time. USA, Algeria, Slovenia....pretty straight forward group but we generally choke around the quarters/semis, lets hope we manage to get some momentum going before that.

Even though i really REALLY want my country to win the whole thing i dont have anything against the USA team, i think they could spring a surprise and creep up on teams. And also the Dutch, they deserve to do well in a tournament as they're perenial underachievers like us.
Don't sleep on Slovenia, they're a royal pain to play against. That's hardly an easy game.

My Slovaks don't have a chance to win the Cup, but we might be able to make it out of our group. We're going to beat New Zealand and lose to Italy, so we just have to beat Paraguay to do it. It's possible.

Then we get whipped by the Dutch in Round 2, but I will take it.

NoWayOut

The issue for me is that Dunga is obsessed as making Brazil a strong defensive team which is not the spirit of brazilian game, so I'm not very optimist too.
I don't know, Brazil still seems dominant even with Dunga preaching defense, and defense is what cost them last time against France.

qwertyman173

Andy from UK
I think it will be very difficult to call. Who would've thought Italy would have won the last one?

Brazil and Argentina aren't as strong as they used to be, as are France. I can't really see Italy pulling it off again. Spain maybe? And as any Englishman knows, you can never write of the Germans....

Or maybe... Just maybe.... Ing-ger-laahnd!

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
Matt B mentioned this earlier, but it was announced today that Michael Ballack will miss the World Cup for Germany, injured in the FA cup final over the weekend.

Conspiracy theorists will note that he was injured by a member of Ghana's national team, one of Germany's first round opponents. As a Ghanaian, I prefer not to believe it, but watching the video, it looks to me like there was intent on the foul. They did have a scrap just before the foul, in which Ballack may or may not have slapped him, so maybe he was just trying to hurt him, not take him out of the tournament...

Watch here for yourself and judge.

The irony is that Ghana may also not have their lynchpin midfielder Michael Essien, who also plays for Chelsea. Thankfully, only a few other world class players are fighting the fitness battle at the moment - Gallas of France and Fabregas for Spain come to mind. (Iniesta finally came back as a late sub over the weekend) Any others?

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
Just announced a few minutes ago -

Goalkeepers: Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan

Defenders: Bocanegra, Onyewu, Goodson, Cherundolo, DeMerit, Spector, Borenstein

Midfielders: Donovan, Dempsey, Beasley, Holden, Edu, Clark, Bradley, Feilhaber, Torres (yay!)

Forwards: Altidore, Gomez, Buddle, Findley

No giant shocks here, but I was surprised that Findley was picked over Ching, given how well Ching played last night, and how unpolished a player Findley is. Yes, he's fast, but in previous games for the national team he's shown he is at a loss at how to use it against international level opponents. Frankly, if the US finds themselves in a position where they need goals, we're better off bringing in another midfielder and pushing up Dempsey and/or Donovan, as opposed to one of our 2nd tier forwards.

We're thin at defense too, taking only 7 players and several of them are still fighting through injuries. But I can't fault Bradley here - we're thin when it comes to defenders. No point in taking a defender who you know can't cut it just so you take the "right number" at a position.

Just over 15 days to go!!!

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
I'm currently working on the calendar of what games I'm going to watch.

I've decided to watch as faithfully as possible USA, NED, and AUS; and keep an eye on ITA and BRA if I can.

ETA: Having finished the calendar, I do believe that it's the most organized thing that I've ever done.

rellis10

tuh-maw-tow
Luckily it seems i'll be able to watch two of the three England group games, only missing the Slovenia game.

No idea when the matches are after the groups, so i'm praying England either play over the weekend or after 7pm :D

balletguy

Ok I live in the USA, and have no idea about the game..That said my I usually will hope that Italy will win because that is where my grandparents were born. What shot do they have. Of course I hope the USM wins but dont think they ever do.

Latest posts