You might be fat if...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
I always get... "Hey, you're that guy who looks like Alan Alda!" from people I don't necessarily remember myself.

I guess you could say that I'm memorably Alan Alda's twin... ;)

liz (di-va)

You know....this happens to me too. I had to kind of think about it, but yeah--it happens a lot. Including a waitress recently who remembered me from when she worked at another restaurant. And a doctor who remembered me just from a description another doctor gave him. And (this sounds like a set-up for a terrible joke, please don't make it) my GYN who said, "I don't usually recognize patients who wave at me on the street, but I thought I saw you the other day." OY. Heh.

superodalisque

me too! there are people who know my name and i can't remember who they are from adam so i just play along til i figure it out. when i was traveling a lot i always flew delta and seemed to run into a steward/ess that remembered me from another flight--especially international. i also used to run into fellow travelers who remembered. a few even took me to lunch during layovers. shopping is another situation where people seem to not only remember me but my name and my sizes. at one of my fav thai restaurants there is a waiter who takes extra special care of me. i remember he brought me an especially large comfy chair from the office the first time i was there. i didn't even have to ask for it. and now its there before i arrive if my name is on the reservation list. i get remembered for my work even more once people see who i am. whenever i go to the new jersey bash there is a really sweet lady who is a reservationist there who always remembers me by name even when i call in. last time she was like "is this Felecia?" it really blew my mind. she takes care that i have everything i want and even made sure to put me next to the elevator after i'd had back surgery. this is one reason i like being so big. its really helped me out over the years. i think if your big and try to be cheerful thoughtful and polite you really can't go wrong. people really appreciate it and pay you back in spades.

LovelyLiz

And then there are the times where you're remembered, only, it's not you, because you've never met them before. That happened to me twice this past weekend.

I think some people have the "all fat people look alike" syndrome. :p

Tau

IXAMXDECADENCE
I recently had a similar experience. I used to live in the darlingest part of Joburg called Parkhurst - lots of quaint little shops and restaurants and old couples walking their dogs and babies in prams - this was 3 years ago. I havent been back there much since, but two weeks back I returned because I heard of an awesome cupcake shop that had just opened up there. As I was walking to the shop I got stopped 3 times. Two restaurant owners and a waiter were like: Hey! Where've you been? We havent seen you around in ages. I was like: Um - sorry but do I know you? One dude laughed and said - you and your friends were good for business LOL! So I spose I too am a memorable fatty :p

Russell Williams

A couple of times a year someone will come up to me and talk to me about things we did together and sometimes tell me that I made a significant impact on their lives. I will not recognize them nor will I remember who they are. But then again the last time I saw most of them they were in the fifth grade and I was their teacher.

During the 30 years that I taught, mostly fifth-grade, I would tell my classes, "If you see me 10, 15, 20, years from now, say hello. You are going to change a lot more in the next 15 years then I will.

TallFatSue

I recently had a similar experience. I used to live in the darlingest part of Joburg called Parkhurst - lots of quaint little shops and restaurants and old couples walking their dogs and babies in prams - this was 3 years ago. I havent been back there much since, but two weeks back I returned because I heard of an awesome cupcake shop that had just opened up there. As I was walking to the shop I got stopped 3 times. Two restaurant owners and a waiter were like: Hey! Where've you been? We havent seen you around in ages. I was like: Um - sorry but do I know you? One dude laughed and said - you and your friends were good for business LOL! So I spose I too am a memorable fatty :p
I must be a memorable fatty too, considering many people look at my belly first and my face second, so I try to make a virtue of necessity and capitalize on it. That means I make an effort to be pleasant and smile, so if people are bound to remember the big tall fat woman, at least they'll remember me as the big tall friendly fat woman. Must be working, because I tend to get good service in stores and restaurants, simply because people remember me. I also feel obligated to tip very well, but that's a good idea to reward good service anyway. ;)

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher
... the lady who used to work at the donut shop sees you 2 years later at her new job where she's a hostess and she recognizes you but you don't have any idea who she is.

That was my big clue this evening.

Backstory: I go to LaMar's mayyyyybeeeee 4 or 5 times a year. (Not saying I only /eat/ LaMar's 4 or 5 times a year but usually Mr. Buffie just runs in and grabs a half-dozen on the way to work while she-who-is-not-a-morning-person waits in the car. So I personally don't step foot in the donut shop all that much.) /end Backstory

Tonight we went to grab a bite after an obscenely long day at the office and the very nice hostess lady says "Hi! Haven't seen you in a while!"

I'm thinking "Hi, haven't seen you... uhm, ever."

Then she says she knows me from LaMar's, where she used to work 2 years ago.

What does that mean???? Who has a memory like that? Does that mean I'm memorably fat? I've always jokingly wondered if they have fat "Wanted" posters in places like Chinese buffets and donut shops (like John Pinette says) but now I'm thinking - do they /really/ keep tabs???

Mr. Buffie is the one who pops in there 90% of the time and she doesn't seem to recognize him at all.

Not exactly paranoid but definitely perplexed and possibly even intrigued....

What makes someone memorable? Are you "memorably" fat? What was your first clue?
What the... are you for real?? Girl you have a knockout face and the biggest boobs of anybody within a 600 mile radius. 40 years from now I would remember you after only having seen you once passing by on a roller coaster in a parade of purple dinosaurs.

Alan

What the... are you for real?? Girl you have a knockout face and the biggest boobs of anybody within a 600 mile radius. 40 years from now I would remember you after only having seen you once passing by on a roller coaster in a parade of purple dinosaurs.

Aw..."Purple Dinosaurs"...they are a very vivid memory, as are you, Buffie....Remember, "keep yours eyes upon the doughnut, Not upon the hole" :happy:

TallFatSue

This reminds me of a scene in the movie Citizen Kane. After Kane died in 1941, a reporter interviewed one of his closest associates and thinks it unlikely that Kane would have remembered a chance meeting fifty years ago. Mr. Bernstein replied: "A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl."

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
... the lady who used to work at the donut shop sees you 2 years later at her new job where she's a hostess and she recognizes you but you don't have any idea who she is.

That was my big clue this evening.

Backstory: I go to LaMar's mayyyyybeeeee 4 or 5 times a year. (Not saying I only /eat/ LaMar's 4 or 5 times a year but usually Mr. Buffie just runs in and grabs a half-dozen on the way to work while she-who-is-not-a-morning-person waits in the car. So I personally don't step foot in the donut shop all that much.) /end Backstory

Tonight we went to grab a bite after an obscenely long day at the office and the very nice hostess lady says "Hi! Haven't seen you in a while!"

I'm thinking "Hi, haven't seen you... uhm, ever."

Then she says she knows me from LaMar's, where she used to work 2 years ago.

What does that mean???? Who has a memory like that? Does that mean I'm memorably fat? I've always jokingly wondered if they have fat "Wanted" posters in places like Chinese buffets and donut shops (like John Pinette says) but now I'm thinking - do they /really/ keep tabs???

Mr. Buffie is the one who pops in there 90% of the time and she doesn't seem to recognize him at all.

Not exactly paranoid but definitely perplexed and possibly even intrigued....

What makes someone memorable? Are you "memorably" fat? What was your first clue?
Buffie - face it babe - you're unforgettable! :D