Your Heart's Desire?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Donna

a not-so-wise Crone
Guess I should answer my own question. I've wanted to write for Rolling Stone (or some other rock 'n roll publication) since I was sixteen years old. It would combine my two biggest passions---writing and music. I originally planned on going to college for journalism, but was afraid of taking a few risks, so I went with a safer option.

Reactions: Tad

LJ Rock

As a young man in my early teens, I was on the fence about whether I wanted to pursue music or art as a career. I ended up going for music, earning a music degree in college and playing music around the world. Now that I am older, I still play music but I am learning to embrace my artistic side, doing lots of digital drawing and other things. As I do this, I find myself really getting in touch with the "exiled child" within me, and it's been very therapeutic. I guess it's never too late to follow a dream and live your passions.

@Donna are you still writing?

Donna

a not-so-wise Crone
As a young man in my early teens, I was on the fence about whether I wanted to pursue music or art as a career. I ended up going for music, earning a music degree in college and playing music around the world. Now that I am older, I still play music but I am learning to embrace my artistic side, doing lots of digital drawing and other things. As I do this, I find myself really getting in touch with the "exiled child" within me, and it's been very therapeutic. I guess it's never too late to follow a dream and live your passions.

@Donna are you still writing?
@LJ Rock, I’ve seen your art here and it’s beautiful. You clearly enjoy your subjects and your talent is evident in every piece you share. ☺ There’s a whimsy to your pieces that I can’t quite place my finger on, but I really like it.

And yes, I still write. When disability forced me to retire from the business world in early 2018, I started doing freelance work for small businesses since I was used to drafting training materials, proposals and presentations. I wrote a few articles for the NAAFA monthly newsletters, which is my biggest claim to fame. I branched out earlier this year and started writing fat chick lit romances. It’s fast becoming a big niche genre, and I happen to know a few things about fat chicks.

kyle

"Beam me here Scotty"
Live on top of a mountain and raise puppies :)

I'm a sucker for puppy pics (lol)

(Thread seemed to be skewing toward vocation/advocation) Because there's lot's of other "heart's desires" ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

LJ Rock

@LJ Rock I branched out earlier this year and started writing fat chick lit romances. It’s fast becoming a big niche genre, and I happen to know a few things about fat chicks.
Indeed it is, and I hope to be able to read some of your stories one day! Thank you for the compliment on my artwork, I truly appreciate it! 😌

You know what, I think I just discovered this evening what one of my true dreams in life really is: I would love to buy an old run-down New England mansion, fix it up and turn it into a premier wedding venue. lol I think that might make me really happy in my old age.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
This is going to sound kind of lame and abstract, but make people happy. Obviously it can't be everyone, there are other really important things in life, and I've learned some people aren't even all that interested in being happy, but basically what it says.

When I was a kid my family played a lot of board games, and we had one called "Careers." At the start of the game each player had to secretly assign 60 points between fame, fortune, and happiness, and the winner was the first one to gather enough points of each type. The simplest strategy was to just go for 20 points of each, but even as a kid I always weighted it 25 happiness, 20 fortune, 15 fame (I'd have gone heavier on happiness than that, but going too unbalanced was bad strategy). Happiness was always the priority with me. I think that was one of the reasons that I've preferred working at small companies, one person can have more influence on the corporate culture to make it a happy place to work.

I wouldn't say no to somehow managing to write a fantasy or science fiction novel that some people really enjoyed, but I sometimes wonder if I might not have enjoyed working towards becoming something like an editor, helping people's writing really shine so that they could be succesful? It feels like that would be an amazing feeling, knowing you helped someone reach their goals and helped them make a bunch of other people happy?

Angelette

As a kid I've always wanted to pursue in 2D animation. I spent my free time making silly animations while my homework was sitting there waiting for me.

Nowadays, I'm still thinking of going back to those days. Except as a hobby. Unfortunately, the demand isn't very high and the industry for that medium seems to be on a sinking ship. In the States anyways. Unless if I somehow end up like VizziePop.

Regardless, I won't say my dream is shattered. Maybe a little sad that I won't experience making my own feature length film or have my own cartoon. But I at least have other interests that aren't far out of reach.

Donna

a not-so-wise Crone
As a kid I've always wanted to pursue in 2D animation. I spent my free time making silly animations while my homework was sitting there waiting for me.

Nowadays, I'm still thinking of going back to those days. Except as a hobby. Unfortunately, the demand isn't very high and the industry for that medium seems to be on a sinking ship. In the States anyways. Unless if I somehow end up like VizziePop.

Regardless, I won't say my dream is shattered. Maybe a little sad that I won't experience making my own feature length film or have my own cartoon. But I at least have other interests that aren't far out of reach.
I admit, I had to Google who VizziePop was. (I'm old, give me a break. :)) I really hope you go for it, that seems like such a great opportunity. If what you're doing is any kind of creative, and you develop a style and look that is unique, your ability to rise up in the industry is unlimited. Is art & film school a possibility? I'm not sure how it works now, but back during my college days (late 1980s, probably way before you were born,) I made a lot of acquaintances and contacts that helped me along the way in my business career. If this VizziePop can do it, so can you.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I'm Canadian, and growing up here naturally means all hockey, all the time.

So, naturally, I wanted to be a baseball player. Unfortunately, I was one of those "good field, no hit" types.

Honestly though, if there was anything I wanted to do, I just went and did it. Now that I'm older, I'm cool with relaxing more and slowing down.

I still worry about my swing, even though I haven't played baseball since the 90s. There's always room for improvement after all.

Donna

a not-so-wise Crone
I'm Canadian, and growing up here naturally means all hockey, all the time.

So, naturally, I wanted to be a baseball player. Unfortunately, I was one of those "good field, no hit" types.

Honestly though, if there was anything I wanted to do, I just went and did it. Now that I'm older, I'm cool with relaxing more and slowing down.

I still worry about my swing, even though I haven't played baseball since the 90s. There's always room for improvement after all.
That's great that you don't feel like you missed out. I spent the first half of my youth in Michigan (which is often referred to as 'South Canada' 😆) and I always assumed baseball was as big for y'all as hockey because of the Blue Jays. Detroit's baseball and hockey teams are equally revered. institutions.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I grew up an hour from Montréal. The Expos were "nos amours". I still wear a Gary Carter jersey to this day. :)

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Oddly, I feel like baseball was bigger when I was young than now? As a little kid in Manitoba we were all collecting baseball cards, and when we moved to Ottawa the Expos were a Very Big Deal. I didn't play organized baseball but lots of kids did, and we certainly all had mitts and played 500 or went to an empty ball diamond and hit balls to each other. (my organized Summer sport was soccer. But I never had aspirations to play hockey or soccer at a high level)

But since then there have been so many other sports that have sprung up. I'm often walking through a nearby park that has a full ball field and a couple of additional backstop fences, and occasionally I see a parent playing catch or hitting balls with their kids, but only rarely do I see kids out there on their own. More likely to see them kicking around a soccer ball or occasionally tossing a football. Maybe in Blue Jay country it is different?

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
Growing up in Memphis in the 1980's, the highest rated show was live wrestling on Saturday mornings from the studios of the local NBC affiliate. I was a tall, big guy who was deceptively quick. I had a theater background so I knew how to ad lib and trash talk. The only hitch is I am blind without my glasses. So away that dream went and I was content to being just a fan.

I found out years later that two of my favorites (Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard) wore glasses and they were still among the premiere wrestler s of their time.

CurvyEm2

I've never had any big aspirations in life. All the smaller things I wanted to do I've done. I found love, got married, have lots of pets, drive a brand new car and I'm just going through the process of buying my own place cash so will be completely mortgage free within a few weeks. I would like to become an undertaker so I guess saving up and getting the training for that is next.

Another thing I'd like to do is just have completely stable mental health but that might be too big of an apsiration lol

Latest posts