Quantcast

Your top 3

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

LeoGibson

Happy
.......Movie cult classics:
1) Rocky Horror Picture Show......
Time for some discussion about a top 3. (That is allowed and encouraged folks!:p )

'Splain this one to me. I know things are relative so I won't disparage it being in your top 3, but I admit, I have watched this a bunch of times and I just don't get it. What am I missing that makes this one such a beloved cult classic?

Now for some top 3 of my own.

Fast Food

1. Whataburger
2. In-N-Out
3. Taco Cabana

Candy Bars

1. Snickers
2. Milky Way
3. Fast Break

Bourbon/Whiskey/Whisky/Scotch

1. Knob Creek
2. Buffalo Trace
3. Bushmills

Missamanda

Feels like thunder
Fast Food
Zaxby's
Marco's
Subway

Favorite things to watch on netflix
Documentaries
Tv Shows
Anything with the ID Channel logo

I buy that I don't need
Notebooks
Packs of pens and pencils
Anything that is $5 for 5 at the grocery store.

lille

Time for some discussion about a top 3. (That is allowed and encouraged folks!:p )

'Splain this one to me. I know things are relative so I won't disparage it being in your top 3, but I admit, I have watched this a bunch of times and I just don't get it. What am I missing that makes this one such a beloved cult classic?
Have you seen it live? If not, that could be part of it. If I just watched the movie without ever having been to a live show I don't think I'd get it. But there is nothing more magical in person.

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy

It's the only musical I actually like. My sisters use to watch it all the time while I was growing up and they would take me every Saturday night at midnight for the live show at the local theater. Lillie hit the nail on the head, seeing it as a live show is an amazing experience everybody should see at least once in their life. It's not just your average musical live show, they actually incorporate you into it. Which in the end, makes you enjoy it a whole lot more.

Donna

wait...what?
Have you seen it live? If not, that could be part of it. If I just watched the movie without ever having been to a live show I don't think I'd get it. But there is nothing more magical in person.
Agreed. I saw RHPS live for the first time in the early 80's during it's midnight movie heyday. The movie is kind of a bomb, but the floor show and the audience interaction are what draws you in. I've since watched a video of the movie at home, just my husband and I, and was very disappointed.

LeoGibson

Happy
It's the only musical I actually like. My sisters use to watch it all the time while I was growing up and they would take me every Saturday night at midnight for the live show at the local theater. Lillie hit the nail on the head, seeing it as a live show is an amazing experience everybody should see at least once in their life. It's not just your average musical live show, they actually incorporate you into it. Which in the end, makes you enjoy it a whole lot more.
Agreed. I saw RHPS live for the first time in the early 80's during it's midnight movie heyday. The movie is kind of a bomb, but the floor show and the audience interaction are what draws you in. I've since watched a video of the movie at home, just my husband and I, and was very disappointed.

My 'neck friends say the same thing to me about 'Neckcar, that I'd actually dig it if I went to a race.

I have not seen it live. Maybe it would make a difference, maybe not. I just know that when I have been somewhere it was on, usually it had me leaving after just a few minutes.

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy
My 'neck friends say the same thing to me about 'Neckcar, that I'd actually dig it if I went to a race.

I have not seen it live. Maybe it would make a difference, maybe not. I just know that when I have been somewhere it was on, usually it had me leaving after just a few minutes.
I can't do NASCAR. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing makes me want to go see a bunch of cars turn left for hours. I can see going to the local track and watching the Drag races, Monster truck ralleys, destruction derby, etc etc. At least with those there is some entertainment, but watching a group of cars turning left all day? I don't understand...

Donna

wait...what?

I've been to a couple Nascar events and I am still not a fan. It was disgustingly hot, crowded, loud and it smelled of stale beer and exhaust fumes. I was bored to tears. My husband and his friends are all huge fans...they'll watch it on TV or live, however they can get it. I have resigned myself to just not "get it."

lille

Musicals (not in order because it's too hard to choose)
1. Rocky Horror
2. RENT
3. Phantom of the Opera

lille

I've never been to a screening but the playhouse near where I used to live would do a live performance and it was amazing. You weren't allowed to throw things but everyone would shout out lines and jokes, the cast would be running through the audience and crawling over people's laps, one time the narrator was hand feeding the audience cupcakes, everyone gets up to dance the Time Warp, there's a costume contest, and if you're a Rocky virgin they put a big V on your forehead in lipstick. It's amazing and I love it.

Donna

wait...what?
Musicals:
1. Phantom of the Opera
2. My Fair Lady
3. The King & I

Whiskys/Whiskeys:
1. Glenfiddich
2. Crown Royal
3. Glen Garioch (although technically that's a Scotch...the whole Scotch/Whisky/Bourbon distinction gets a little confusing when you aren't in the bar business I suppose)

Fast Food:
1. Subway
2. Polo Tropical
3. Le Terrisita (nothing like Cuban fast food)

ODFFA

Needless buys:
Tops, especially summery ones
Bags
Stationary

Dims emoticons:
:happy:
:wubu:
:batting:

Musicals:
Evita
The King & I
Cats

Desserts:
Chocolate spring rolls
A crumble of some variety with cold custard
Eton Mess

Colours:
Wine red
Violet
Bottle green

Flowers:
Bi-colour / Ambiance roses
Water lilies
White and yellow plumeria

fat9276

"Not so Fast" Fast Food:

1. Five Guys
2. Chipotle
3. Asian Bistro

Flowers:

1. Wild/meadow flowers (all colors)
2. Tea roses
3. Poinsettias

Celebrity Crushes:

1. James McAvoy
2. Neil Peart
3. Chris Thile

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
"...The movie is kind of a bomb, but the floor show and the audience interaction are what draws you in. I've since watched a video of the movie at home, just my husband and I, and was very disappointed."
"My 'neck friends say the same thing to me about 'Neckcar, that I'd actually dig it if I went to a race.

"
I think those are two very different things in that one, I speculate, is supposed to be taken through somewhat of an ironical type of lens. Like MST3K. Whereas the other is largely intended to be appreciated free of any sense of irony.

daddyoh70

DYELB?
Rock Band:
AC/DC
Social Distortion
The Black Keys (up to 2008)

Albums: (any genre)
Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger (One of the greatest albums ever recorded)
Led Zeppelin II
The Beatles - Abbey Road

Blues:
Buddy Guy
Hound Dog Taylor
R.L. Burnside

Punk:
The Ramones
The Real McKenzies
The Sex Pistols

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
re: Rocky Horror. I wrote a long post, re-read it, realized I was doing way too much pop-psychologizing, and deleted it.

So instead I’ll just offer this question: if you blanked out all the names, and just read the boards on Dimensions without participating, how good would it really be? In other words, how much of the value of the site is the community that visits it, versus the actual content? I think a lot of the appeal of Rocky Horror screenings was the community that it attracted. And the catchy music, of course.

In the same general category I’d include fishing, baseball games, and comic book conventions. I think that for most people the supposed reason for being there is less important than the simply being there and enjoying the ambiance.

lucca23v2

Curves for miles
re: Rocky Horror. I wrote a long post, re-read it, realized I was doing way too much pop-psychologizing, and deleted it.

So instead I’ll just offer this question: if you blanked out all the names, and just read the boards on Dimensions without participating, how good would it really be? In other words, how much of the value of the site is the community that visits it, versus the actual content? I think a lot of the appeal of Rocky Horror screenings was the community that it attracted. And the catchy music, of course.

In the same general category I’d include fishing, baseball games, and comic book conventions. I think that for most people the supposed reason for being there is less important than the simply being there and enjoying the ambiance.
I LOVE RHPS!!!!!!!!!!

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Favourite things to watch on Netflix

House of Cards
Orange is the New Black
Homeland (WHERE IS SEASON TWO FOR CANADA?)

freakyfred

\_(O_o)_/
Comic books
Daredevil Born Again
Maus
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

Films
Alien
Robocop
Hot Fuzz

Foods
Cheese Pizza