Zip lines

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

moonvine

Queen of Contempt
OK, I want to go zip lining..but the ones I have seen have a max weight of 220 lbs. Any suggestions?

Skye23

Location might matter, places where the population is heavier in general and there is less negative bias towards it might have higher weight limits - Hawaii, New Zealand etc...

Mckee

Most zip line can handle max weight 250. Some can reach 275-280.

Mckee

I'm 313, so....
There is a zipline in Cancun, Mexico, called "selvatica". Their maximum weight limit is 330 pounds. But they have limitation regarding waist and tight size, due to the harnesses used.

Waist 47 inches max
Thigh 27 inches max

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
I am the adventurous type, but I stay away from zip lines because too many of them simply do not seem safe. That particularly goes for installations in foreign tourist locations training, safety and inspections are non-existent. I am sure it's quite a rush to use the lines, but I'd be very careful what I entrusted my safety and well-being on.

moonvine

Queen of Contempt
I am the adventurous type, but I stay away from zip lines because too many of them simply do not seem safe. That particularly goes for installations in foreign tourist locations training, safety and inspections are non-existent. I am sure it's quite a rush to use the lines, but I'd be very careful what I entrusted my safety and well-being on.
Parasailing?:) So far I have climbed a water fall, gone scuba diving, gone snorkeling, swam with stingrays and dolphins, fed hummingbirds in the hummingbird sanctuary, gone jungle tubing, and probably some more stuff I fail to remember.

It aggravates me to no end I can't meet anyone's weight requirements for horseback riding on the beach

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
Parasailing?:) So far I have climbed a water fall, gone scuba diving, gone snorkeling, swam with stingrays and dolphins, fed hummingbirds in the hummingbird sanctuary, gone jungle tubing, and probably some more stuff I fail to remember.

It aggravates me to no end I can't meet anyone's weight requirements for horseback riding on the beach
No parasailing or parachuting for me. :) But extensive scuba diving (including sharks, alligators, giant mantas, whale sharks), auto and drag racing, extensive hiking, etc. All can be dangerous, but I generally like sports where I maintain the equipment. With zip lines, you're totally at the mercy of gear you don't know.

But it's totally true that some sports are more open to fat people than others. Some of the best divers I know are super-size. Horseback riding, I don't know. I've seen a lot of fat riders, so I am not sure what the policy is there.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Horseback riding, I don't know. I've seen a lot of fat riders, so I am not sure what the policy is there.
I imagine a lot would depend on what breed of horse you intend to ride. Racehorses, with their spindly legs, can't carry much weight. Quarterhorses are sturdier; some mighty wide ranchers ride them in our Statehood Day parade each year. And a Clydesdale or Percheron could probably tote you and your whole family.

Corwynis

The big one at Park City Mountain Resort has a limit of 275 lbs max, minimum 75 (100 on windy days). The smaller one has a limit of 450, either single or between the two riders.

The Canyons Resort has one, not sure on the weight limits there. And the Olympic Park has one too.

moonvine

Queen of Contempt
I imagine a lot would depend on what breed of horse you intend to ride. Racehorses, with their spindly legs, can't carry much weight. Quarterhorses are sturdier; some mighty wide ranchers ride them in our Statehood Day parade each year. And a Clydesdale or Percheron could probably tote you and your whole family.
Yes, but if you want to ride one on the beach as a rental, they tend to have smaller ones. I've not seen any rental places who rent Clydesdales for riding purposes.

This is just one of many examples - max weight 250.

http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/420011

If anyone can scare one up which allows up to 325 that would be awesome.

missyj1978

I have gone zip lining before. It is a great rush, love it! The max weight was 250. I ALWAYS wanted to swim with the dolphins, lucky lady!

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Yes, but if you want to ride one on the beach as a rental, they tend to have smaller ones. I've not seen any rental places who rent Clydesdales for riding purposes.
Oops, my mistake! I'd never heard of renting horses at a beach before (probably because my beach experiences have been mostly in CA and MA, not TX). I don't think you'd have much luck renting a Clydesdale, trailer, etc. to take to the beach, unless ... hey! Isn't Donald Trump single these days? :)

Emma

I'm 313, so....
So...? What do you want? People who run a zip line to spend a hell of a lot of money to accommodate the very few people who want to zip line at your weight? Horses to suddenly be able to carry more weight?

Sometimes we're too fat for things, sometimes people in wheelchairs can't do things, sometimes disabled people can't do stuff. Get over it. Either lose weight or build your own. At least we have the choice.

We need to choose our battles wisely. Making sure that there are facilities for larger people to use in local restaurants, toilets, access for them to get to the supermarkets. Seatbelts that fit and keep us safe. Beds that can support high weights, ambulances that can transport people. Sorry rant.

Latest posts