Zombies and Cannibalism

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by Sasquatch!, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Aug 24, 2010 #321

LovesBigMen

LovesBigMen

LovesBigMen

Poco G. leave it there xD

Hmm should I feel dumb xD

And I pictured it now even I was laughing I would be laughing if you actually did that:D

2. Aug 24, 2010 #322

Melian

Melian

Melian

Ultimate Chimera

Finally gave in and did this...

Name: Dr Hotsex
    Weight: 105 lb
    Height: 5'9"
    Eyes: blue
    Hair: neon pink bi-hawk
    Blood type: 0+
    Abilities: surgery, molecular medicine, vivisection, torture, strategy
    Weapons: scalpel, circular saw, S&W M500, H&K PSG1
    Clothes: blood-stained lab coat over black latex catsuit
    Playlist: Rammstein - Weises Fleisch, The Smiths - Panic, Ace of Base - Cruel Summer (;) )
    Personality: Obsessively searches for a vaccine; might re-attach your finger, but is never on your side; captures zombies for the purpose of grotesque, sadistic experimentation

Intro: Gah..I'm too lazy.

3. Aug 30, 2010 #323

FishCharming

FishCharming

FishCharming

derailer extraordinaire!

now, i have no idea what i'm talking about but couldn't the body, on a cellular level produce ATP through self cannibalizing? Like through Beta Oxidization or Anaerobic Respiration? The ceasing of the pulmonary system wouldn't mean much if muscles could directly fuel themselves off of sub-cutaneous fat they contact with. although the system would be super inefficient, it would also explain some of the more physically challenged characteristics of zombies, no?

4. Aug 30, 2010 #324

Wanderer

Wanderer

Wanderer

Actor at Extra-Large

Mm. Problem is, the body isn't capable of burning fat directly. Because fat is such a high-density calorie reserve, your body has to burn something else at the same time, like using kindling to burn a big log. Ideally, you want to have plenty of carbohydrates in your system at such a time -- they're what your body prefers to use for "kindling" -- but your body's willing to break down muscle fiber for protein "kindling" if it has to.

The most usual non-magic explanation for zombies involves either a brain-damaging virus (thus giving you a "living zombie") or an unusual type of bacteria colony. (The bacteria explanation is high in handwavium, since it requires the bacteria to work together as a hive-mind, interface with the dead body's sensory organs, move the limbs, and so on. It does cover the digestive issues, though, since a bacterial colony is more than capable of digesting raw protein.)

5. Aug 30, 2010 #325

Melian

Melian

Melian

Ultimate Chimera

Very minimal energy could be produced anaerobically - probably not enough to move a body, and definitely not enough to sustain those fast moving new zombies.

As far as the muscles go, they COULD use this energy if they were intact, however, after death, the proteins that slide the muscle sarcomeres over each other during contraction degrade. This is why you get rigor mortis (a final contraction of muscles as all ATP is released and sarcomeres slide into contraction), followed by permanent muscle relaxation. Protein maintenance is a huge hurdle in zombie biology ;)

Let's say we had an external energy source and inexhaustible DNA polymerase/ribosome protein assembly system...well, then we might be in business, as far as basic movement was concerned.

6. Aug 31, 2010 #326

Esther

Esther

Esther

Queen Black Acid

Hahaha. Your profile is amazing. I also lol'd at 'might re-attach your finger'... just maybe. But maybe not! Muahahaha.

7. Aug 31, 2010 #327

BigChaz

BigChaz

BigChaz

His Eggy Roundness

So what is the story on this story?