• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

60s music, and why is it so enduring?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched "Pirate Radio" last night, a movie about the "pirate" radio stations that broadcast rock music from ships off the coast of the UK in the mid to late 60s. I remember those pirate music ships well, and the movie was terrific and funny. And, of course, I loved the music.

I've often wondered why the music of that era is so enduring. The music is still being played, some of the bands are still touring (who'd have thought hard-living dudes like the Stones and some of the others would be able to tour 40 years later!?!), and it's like it was some sort of golden era for music.

I wonder if it's perhaps just because 60s music is "my" music. Perhaps someone who was born in the 70s thinks as lovingly of 80s music which, to me, has little identity beyond a bit of Blondie, the Cars, B52s and some other New Age. Perhaps whatever we grew up with becomes "our" music. Then again, I love 50s music as well, and was too young to listen to it at the time.

So were the Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Doors, Animals, Byrds, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Zappa, Creedence, Hollies, Turtles, BS&T, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Small Faces, Supremes, Mamas & Papas, Union Gap, Cream, Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Yethro Tull, and all really that great or was it just a rare perfect storm of talent, social movements, artistic expression, emerging technologies, etc., that made it all possible, as never before and never again?

As is, I can still listen to, say, 'A Whiter Shade of Pale' or 'Nights in White Satin' or any number of songs from that era and instantly be transformed back, almost like time travel.

Latest posts

Back