Boycott Bacardi

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

t3h_n00b

This is disgusting

http://jezebel.com/5296935/bacardi-ad-uses-misogyny-to-sell-alcohol-to-women

i feel sorry for the women who's photos were used in the ads.

A disgusting new promotional site for Bacardi Breezers says all that women need to be more attractive is to find an more unattractive female friend to stand next to.

According to Copyranter, Israeli ad agency McCann Digital launched the "Get An Ugly Girlfriend!" site in Hebrew and English along with a Hebrew-only facebook group to promote the fruit-flavored alcoholic beverages.

The site suggests that like Bacardi Breezers, ugly friends come in several different varieties and women can use them to appear more attractive in social situations, such as at the beach

While misogyny is rampant in alcohol advertising, usually those campaigns are aimed at men. It's unclear why advertisers thought showing pictures of women they deem hideous along with degrading comments would make ladies line up for Bacardi.

Teleute

Heh heh. "Member".
Rage. RAGE. Holy christ that is AWFUL. I can't even make appropriate words to express my anger and disgust. GAHHHHHHHHH.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
:eek::eek::eek:

Un-freaking-believable.

I didn't buy Bacardi anyway....but who is their parent company, anyone have the info handy? I'd prefer to avoid any product profiting those who run a campaign that foul.

fffff

I am not a person who is easily offended, especially by alcohol ads which are nearly always revoluting, but this is just alienating and sick. Ads that were meant to be clever but just went horribly, horribly wrong.

I wish I actually drank this shit so I could boycott it.

edit: They make grey goose. Now that I won't buy/drink that anymore expect stock to plummet.

Also, as someone who has studied design, these ads are just poorly executed.

t3h_n00b

Rage. RAGE. Holy christ that is AWFUL. I can't even make appropriate words to express my anger and disgust. GAHHHHHHHHH.
just blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol (sorry, bad joke)

seriously, i would hope these women would stand up for themselves. even if they have no legal recourse, they should make a fuss. seems to that they could sue for libel though.

Teleute

Heh heh. "Member".
Here's some info on brands they own.

Guess I'm switching gin brands. Goddamn it, I LIKE sapphire. But not enough to support them for this kind of bullshit.

Edit: Ah, here's the full list.

Fatgirlfan

It looks like there is plenty of disgust toward the Bicardi co. from others as well. Fuck you Bicardi!!

Esther

Queen Black Acid
Utterly disgusting.

If you look into the matter, though, you'll find that the Bacardi head office shut this campaign down instantly in 2008 when they found out about it because it did not comply with their marketing ethics by a long shot. They claim that it was developed by a third party promoter and was run without acquiring the proper permission. I think it only ran for a month or two in one country (possibly Israel, I can't remember).

missy_blue_eyez

That has got to be one of the most tasteless, disgusting advertisements I have ever seen..........! Awful, pretty awful!

Red

Huh, looks like I'm going back to drinking Gordon's again.

Teleute

Heh heh. "Member".
Utterly disgusting.

If you look into the matter, though, you'll find that the Bacardi head office shut this campaign down instantly in 2008 when they found out about it because it did not comply with their marketing ethics by a long shot. They claim that it was developed by a third party promoter and was run without acquiring the proper permission. I think it only ran for a month or two in one country (possibly Israel, I can't remember).

This makes me feel much better. I'll look into it some more to be sure. Thanks for posting the additional info, Esther.

Esther

Queen Black Acid
This makes me feel much better. I'll look into it some more to be sure. Thanks for posting the additional info, Esther.
No problem. It doesn't make me feel any better about the fact that a group of promoters thought this campaign was a good idea in the first place, but at least an entire, enormous company wasn't involved in it.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Utterly disgusting.

Thanks for that Esther.....and Teleute, thanks for finding the brand list.

I admit after reading that they make Bombay Sapphire gin I was a little horrified, but after Esther's post maybe I can life with it? Punishing them now for something that got shut down over a year ago doesn't sound too useful.

But still.....I hope somebody lost their job for approving that campaign.

Oldtimer76

Returned
This is amazing:mad: How can one normal thinking person even come up with this shit? And thinking there is a whole team making these commercials... A whole team of f**king idiots?:mad::doh:
Alcohol kills the brain.

Wish there was a way to contact these ladies and show them our sympathy.

Fascinita

Jeez, we're blessed!
but who is their parent company
I hope the parent company sends Bacardi to bed without cola.

(The parent is Bacardi Ltd. Also, Bacardi coolers taste awful and give you thudding hangovers. I have no other comment, except that I think teens have way too much disposable income these days. :mad: )

Alan

The people who thought this up were probably drinking Bacardi in the Board(bored) Room...how does the saying go...Add Alcohol equals Instant A-Hole.

P.S. About Boycotting Bacardi...Cruzan Rum(Virgin Islands) is far superior anyway, and a bit lighter on your budget too :cool:

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
Well, I feel that..............oh, hell, I am a feminist scold...you all know how I feel.

Fuckers.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
That is a really shitty thing to do... some marketing person ought to be flogged.

Until we find out who the parent company is, I'll stick to my usual brands of beer, finish off that big bottle of Costco whiskey of mine and hold off on purchasing new hard stuff until I know what not to buy...

t3h_n00b

i suppose that a formal apology means the situation is "resolved", but i still could never bring myself to drink bacardi after this. (to be fair, i don't drink at all, but if i were to, i would not drink bacardi).

Latest posts