Favorite ethnic foods?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

da3ley

Mine are : (and not necessarily in this order)

Mexican 1. Ceviche, enchiladas, homemade tacos (ethnic), menudo, posole, fruit and veggie lokas.----->http://elcocopirata.com. <------My favorite Latin Mariscos/Seafood Restaurant

PERSIAN: Sabzi polo, adas polo, sabzi ghourmeh, home made kabob using a ground mixture of lamb and ground beef

ITALIAN" Homemade soups from different regions in Italy. Pastas, home made meatballs, Milanesas, Parmigiana, etc

Asian" Thai noodles, Pho etc. Home made Ramen with kamaboko, fresh mushrooms, sprouts, poached or boiled egg, ,sesame seeds, nori, its absolutely delicious!

Homemade hummus, tabbouleh, tzaziki. Homemade arepas, tamales, gorditas, papusas., fresh carne seca (go to your local carniceria ak Mexican meat market and ask for it) It is wayyyy better than store bought beef jerky. It's the real authentic stuff, not the stuff with all the unnecessary salts and , nitrates, and overly used spices, and preservatives. Just lean meats as your ancestors probably used to make back in the day.

Anything special you really enjoy eating in restaurants, stores, or to cook? An ethnic fare?

Sir Jeffrey

I love cooking Mexican, Italian & Jamaican foods.

Jerk chicken with rice and peas!

I learned some things from my neighbors who were from Guatemala & El Salvador and I'm not sure if that's how they do it in Mexico but I just call it Mexican.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
Tex Mex for the win. Spent over half my life near Dallas TX. I could eat Tex Mex every day. Other than that I don’t have a favorite.

Maize

I love Tex Mex and Indian. After that, Thai, Ethiopian, Hakka, Korean, Japanese, Nepalese. Oh, Hungarian, Kazakh... pretty much everything the more I think about it. :)

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
Tex Mex for the win. Spent over half my life near Dallas TX. I could eat Tex Mex every day. Other than that I don’t have a favorite.
I also lived a large chunk of my life in Texas, and Tex-Mex was served in the school lunch menu more often than not. Though, in every Mexican restaurant in my life, it's always refrieds and rice, but in school it was pintos and cornbread with your entree.

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
More ethnic favorites than you can shake a stick at. Since we're on Mexican, I'll continue with my favorites in Tex-Mex, Mex-Mex, and Fresh Mex.

Tex-Mex is that category that covers fast food like Taco Hell and Del Taco that most other people consider to be Mexican food. It's not, but the Quesarito at Taco Hell is my current favorite. How many other ways can they serve liquid velveeta?

Mex-Mex, the traditional favorites that da3ley mentions above. Posole, chile rellenos, machaca and barbacoa plates with tortillas and jalapenos, street taco carnitas, etc. Love-Love.

And Fresh-Mex which are all the fast food type (Chipotle) shops that mix yuppie steak and shrimp with salmon tacos, and green tomatillo ranch dressing, and tasteless guacamole. There is local favorite called Cafe Rio that does a mean steak salad in a oversized tortilla bowl.

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
Cajun / Creole: Where the only challenge for the Cajun chef is how much Tabasco and what color to make the roux. Top favorites: Jambalaya, red beans and rice, shrimp gumbo, muffuletta, shrimp etoufee, shrimp and grits, maque choux, and blackened catfish.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Um, I like all the foods?

Seriously, it is like trying to choose a favorite child or something. Tastebuds don't seem to vary all that much, so I seem to like most foods that are popular somewhere.

The one I never get enough of is Ethiopian, because the restaurants never seem to survive long near us, and there is like one place in town where you can just buy injera, so we pretty much never try making it at home either.

jcas50

Liberal Scum
Just came back from New Orleans, so I am very positive about Creole food. Last night had Fried Oyster Sliders, Seafood Gumbo, and Shrimp and Grits, which was a stack of layers of Fried Green Tomato, alternating with grits, topped with Jumbo, whole body Shrimp with a perfectly divine Creole Seafood sauce. It was at Lula distillery in the garden district. I had a daiquiri with house made rum and a Cuba Libre with the same rum. What a dinner!i
But aside from that I love Italian food, and most Asian that I have tried. Love Indian, Chinese, Lao, Thai, Viet, Israeli, Japanese etc,

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
BBQ.. All the above. Actually, I have a masterbuilt smoker that I normally smoke pork butt, ribs, or beef brisket. I typically use pecan, but I just purchased a big bag of cherry. I will most likely smoke some ribs this weekend.

I would really like to travel to the Carolinas to experience both the vinegar style and the mustard style techniques.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
BBQ.. All the above. Actually, I have a masterbuilt smoker that I normally smoke pork butt, ribs, or beef brisket. I typically use pecan, but I just purchased a big bag of cherry. I will most likely smoke some ribs this weekend.

I would really like to travel to the Carolinas to experience both the vinegar style and the mustard style techniques.
Carolinas - not that exciting..... Alabama Bbq is my fac

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
Pork useually, ribs have a great crust sauced after cooking, sausage is perfectly smoked. Vinegary and black pepper sauces. Great balance between the smoke and sauce.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
If I can put in my .02 cents. Good barbecue seasoned right don’t need no sauce. :D

Staying on topic though. Tex-Mex, Sushi, and Vietnamese for me.
What we talking about here? Dry rub, brining, maybe a mop when smoking? Cheating and doing a flavor injector?

Latest posts