Galaxy Express: The Idle One's Mirror

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

RVGleason

Galaxy Express 999 is an older Japanese Anime about a young boy who travels the universe with a mysterious woman named Matel in a vintage railroad train. An episode from it's 4th season, 'The Idle One's Mirror', has them arriving on a planet where the government takes care of everything for it's citizens so they don't have to do anything and end up getting extremely fat, (A plot device later used in the movie 'WALL-E') to the point of bursting out of their homes. The episode can be downloaded through Amazon.com's instant video service.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024D19C4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here are some screen caps from the episode.

RV :eat1:

View attachment GE1.JPG

View attachment GE2.JPG

View attachment GE3.JPG

View attachment GE4.JPG

View attachment GE5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

BrokenCassette

Wow, very cool find! Definitely one of the earliest examples of cartoon WG I've seen, and pretty cute, too. XD

Crinos

I heard about this episode years ago on Animeexpansion, but could never find it. Thanks for finding the title so I could finally see it.

RVGleason

I've had a copy of this episode for years and was debating whether to make copies of it to sell but was afraid of infringing on copyrights. I'm glad it's readily available now. There is another episode of Tetsuro and Matel visiting a planet with zero gravity which makes all it's inhabitants very round. I'll find that one too and post pictures from it soon.

RVGleason

I found the other weight gain Galaxy Express 999 episode. It's called 'The Tombstone of Dead Leave' and it has Tetsuro and Matel visiting a planet with zero gravity which makes all it's inhabitants very round. (Another plot device used in 'WALL-E'). At the end of the episode Tetsuro and Matel imagine that if they stay on the planet any longer they would round out too. Here's a link to order the episode and some screen caps from it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00249WE4K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

RV :eat1:

View attachment ge6.JPG

View attachment GE7.JPG

View attachment GE8.JPG

View attachment GE9.JPG

View attachment GE10.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Crinos

As I recall, in the manga sequel to this series, the big bad the big bad took over the world by giving out free food till everyone was really fat.

Crinos

That being said, I am disappointed there isn't more female weight gain (Though seeing the flashbacks where Saborina gets progressively bigger is nice).

Still, despite the fact that they tried to end on a high note with her resolving to lose weight and get on the train next year, its more likely she ended up like her boyfriend.

In any case, may use this in my rpg setting at some point.

Latest posts