Indusrtial/EBM

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

blubberismanly

Basically New
Has anyone heard of industrial--the real kind? Industrial Rock includes guitars, bass, drums or SOME SORT of actual instruments to accompany the synth effects. REAL Industrial is ENTIRELY synthesized and DOES not try to replicate sounds of actual instruments in any way. EBM is the friendlier version, more appropriate for night clubs.

Here are some examples.

Hocico/de Peros
Rabia Sorda
Dulce Liquido
CLekktor
Aesthetic Perfection
System Syn
God Module
Suicide Commando
And One
VNV Nation
Wumpskut
Die Sektor
Terrorfakt
Tactical Sekt
Agonize
Tamtrum
Nitzer Ebb
Imperative Reaction
Combichrist
Glis
Icon of Coil

There are many others, but these are my favorites.

Are there any other rivetheads out there in FA Land?

thirtiesgirl

frumious bandersnatch
You left out some good stuff: Front 242, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Test Dept, Cabaret Voltaire, Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle, and Einsturzende Neubauten.

thirtiesgirl

frumious bandersnatch
As I said, there are others. I never thought pf Skinny Puppy as Industrial, though.

They opened the door for a lot of industrial bands, were innovators in the genre, and brought Canadian label Nettwerk Records more world attention.

Seth Warren

May she always be True
I never thought pf Skinny Puppy as Industrial, though.

In that case, you have no right to wear large boots and do the stompy dance.

Here's the good shit:

Skinny Puppy
Front 242
Einstürzende Neubauten
Pigface
Cabaret Voltaire
The Damage Manual
Ministry
KMFDM
Nitzer Ebb

Sorry, thirtiesgirl, but Red Lorry Yellow Lorry are not industrial. They are solidly in the goth rock/post-punk column (as evidenced by their obvious Joy Division fetish).

thirtiesgirl

frumious bandersnatch
Sorry, thirtiesgirl, but Red Lorry Yellow Lorry are not industrial. They are solidly in the goth rock/post-punk column (as evidenced by their obvious Joy Division fetish).

Nope, not gonna fall for it. Looks like you need to turn in your stompy boots. ;) ...And I can't believe you put Nitzer Ebb on the "good shit" list. I can't think of a more derivative industrial band.

blubberismanly

Basically New
True, Skinny Puppy may have started the madness. I always thought of them as their own unique form of insanity. :)

I thought of a few others that may be recognized. Some "big hit bands," if you will.

Modulate
Assemblage 23
Rotorsand
Neuroticfish
:SITD:
Psyclon Nine (though I DESPISE them)

There are others I can't pronounce or spell... I've been wanting to go to Das Bunk again...

thirtiesgirl

frumious bandersnatch
True, Skinny Puppy may have started the madness. I always thought of them as their own unique form of insanity. :)

I thought of a few others that may be recognized. Some "big hit bands," if you will.

Modulate
Assemblage 23
Rotorsand
Neuroticfish
:SITD:
Psyclon Nine (though I DESPISE them)

There are others I can't pronounce or spell... I've been wanting to go to Das Bunk again...

I forgot you're in SoCal. I haven't been to Das Bunker in years. Have you been to Wumpskate yet? I'm not an EBM fan at all, so I tend to avoid most goth/EBM clubs these days. I'm a child of the '80s, so I like some of the original industrial stuff, but I'm not into stuff from the '90s onward. Yeah, you can dance to it, but I'm more of an OG ("original goth") than industrio-EBM fan, so I'd prefer to dance to old Siouxsie, Bauhaus, Virgin Prunes, Chameleons, etc.

Seth Warren

May she always be True
Nope, not gonna fall for it. Looks like you need to turn in your stompy boots. ;) ...And I can't believe you put Nitzer Ebb on the "good shit" list. I can't think of a more derivative industrial band.

Come on, you know you want to join in the chant...join in the chant... :p

blubberismanly

Basically New
I forgot you're in SoCal. I haven't been to Das Bunker in years. Have you been to Wumpskate yet?

Not recently, but before I left for the army. I would go to Perversion, Maladiction, Analog, Chamber, Xile/Infirmary, Feedback, Hell, Release the Bats, Wumpskate and Das. Ny college buddies and would just randomly go out, sometimes every night in a week. I miss college.

thirtiesgirl

frumious bandersnatch
I'd rather... lock the target, bait the line, spread the net, then catch the man.

thirtiesgirl

frumious bandersnatch
Not recently, but before I left for the army. I would go to Perversion, Maladiction, Analog, Chamber, Xile/Infirmary, Feedback, Hell, Release the Bats, Wumpskate and Das. Ny college buddies and would just randomly go out, sometimes every night in a week. I miss college.

Yeah, you like a lot of the EBM clubs. Some of the DJs at Malediction occasionally play some more romanti-goth stuff, which I like, and I love the venue at the Monte Cristo, but I get tired of all the EBM. I love Release the Bats. It's great to hear old batcave stuff like Alien Sex Fiend, Christian Death, 45 Grave, etc. Bats reminds me of the old Hollywood goth clubs from the '80s, like Scream and Helter Skelter (before it returned and became what it is now). You'd probably like Bar Sinister if you haven't been before. I used to go in the early days when they played more goth stuff, and before the remodel (before they put the fountain in the room), but they play too much EBM for my taste now. It's a fun place to hang out sometimes, though.

DJ_S

How about we start of with some Aussie bands like, SNOG, Severed Heads, Black Lung and other internationals like, Atari Teenage riot, Perspects, Mount Sims, Adult, although the last few maybe more electro tinged

thirtiesgirl

frumious bandersnatch
How about we start of with some Aussie bands like, SNOG, Severed Heads, Black Lung and other internationals like, Atari Teenage riot, Perspects, Mount Sims, Adult, although the last few maybe more electro tinged

Severed Heads! I haven't thought about them in ages. I knew I was forgetting a band I used to listen to in my list. I like some electro, too. Adult are pretty good. Lately, I'm getting into Caribou. More pop-electro, yes, but that's the way I roll.

Seth Warren

May she always be True
Here in Pittsburgh, our Goth night was downgraded from undead to simply dead some time ago. The scene fractured and nobody has been able to start a truly successful night since (for various reasons including and other than scene in-fighting).

thirtiesgirl

frumious bandersnatch
Here in Pittsburgh, our Goth night was downgraded from undead to simply dead some time ago. The scene fractured and nobody has been able to start a truly successful night since (for various reasons including and other than scene in-fighting).

That sucks. And you'd think in a city the size of Pittsburgh, something would be happening. LA's scene is pretty insular. A lot of the same DJs and club promoters work most of the more known goth/EBM clubs in & around LA. There are a couple of club events which I prefer that are not part of that main scene and tend to draw the older goths, rather than the newer EBM kids, although there are a few oldsters in the main scene, too.

Latest posts