• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Midwife Frustrations..Not high risk just fat!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truebebeblue

Balls,I kicks em.
This is long!!!

Background: I am 34 over 350lbs and Gave birth a bit over a year ago to
my first baby with midwives in a hospital in AZ(legislation at the time made birth center impossible). I was induced at 41wks had a long hard labor (44 hrs) but gave birth with no issue Smallish babe (7lbs 2oz) but never developed Diabetes or high blood pressure(oops wrong I was elevated on day induced but NST was fine and no protein in urine). I am 5yrs post wls.
I did end up having an epidural after the first 24 hrs (I had to get out of the jacuzzi to start pitocin so I insisted)

On to the issue
I am 18 weeks Preg with our second baby. I was hoping to birth in a freestanding birth center here In Pittsburgh to up the chances of natural birth. I feel like laboring in water is key to that,it's SO much better.

Did loads of research about this group of midwives before making an appointment. The first appointment went fine,I brought up my concerns about furniture being sturdy enough during birth but the MW thought that wouldn't be an issue at all. She said they would discuss me at the monthly group meeting.

I've had two appt since then and am basically being told they want me to deliver in the hospital, the reasoning they give is in case of emergency transport they are worried about me being large. I don't really buy this,since EMTs would be called in any case and that would make at least 4 medical personnel to transfer me. When I was 500 lbs and ill 4 EMTs showed up just in case but they weren't needed.

I feel like maybe they just kind of do not know what to do with me/are worried I am a ticking timebomb even though I am clearly NOT high risk. Just fat. They have scheduled me with a high risk doctor and I think that it is their way of transferring care to an OB without saying it directly.

There is just this feeling I get from them...and it doesn't feel empowering or like they trust that I can birth normally... Which is what I need in a caregiver. If I had all the confidence within myself I would just do it at home!

I had amazing (almost all fat!) midwives in AZ and I miss them.Salt of the earth,everything is fine,birth is not illness women with years and years of experience.

I feel like these MW are just not the same. I still feel like birth is high medically manged here even with MW.

Anyway, I am going to schedule with another MW group that births at the women's hospital (this hospital does have tubs to labor in but only 3 so chances are slim but better than 0) I am hoping I get a better feeling from them.

I really wish I had the resources to hire a midwife for a homebirth but it is just not possible right now.

Putting this out there for comment,opinion and reference for anyone going through similar now or in the future. Will update.
Oh and miss Vickie! Please tell me if I am just being a crazy pregnant lady here.... I trust your opinion!

Back