• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Monica Chooses a Career - Part II - by Marci (~BBW, Romance, ~SWG)

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Observer

Editor/Writer/Commentator
~BBW, Romance, ~SWG

Monica Chooses a Career - Part 2
by Marci

[The story to date: The setting is the New England Culinary Institute in Vermont. Superachiever Monica has quite innocently offended socially backward Janet Medvine by becoming romantically involved with Janet's unrequited love interest, Guy Nesci. Janet in her agony mistakenly believes that causing Monica to gain weight will loosen her hold on Guy. Her dorm mate (and Monica's class team member and friend) Leticia Carver discovers the plot and informs Monica. Meanwhile, Monica learns that another teammate, Brian Saunders, sees more potential in Janet than Janet sees in herself. As Guy and a definitely plumpening Monica prepare to meet their respective parents during the winter break a plan is set in motion to both help Janet and teach her a much needed lesson.]

While Monica was talking with Brian and Guy, Leticia informed Melanie Hargrove, the fourth member of the cooking team, of what and why their coach Janet had been doing. Both Leticia and Melanie had added about a dozen pounds during the semester and were co-victims of Janet's activities. Melanie's initial reaction was a desire to go public and have Janet expelled, but then relented at Leticia's and Monica's urging.

"A few pounds is not worth destroying someone's career over, " Monica told her. "We all are grown ups and knew what we were eating even if we didn't realize the motive. I have probably gained ten pounds more than either of you, so its not as if you're alone. Have you ever heard of the principle of not just getting mad, but getting even? Janet needs help --- and I suggest we see that she gets it."

That evening Leticia, who shared the same dorm with Janet and ten others, put stage one into motion. The dorm's large kitchen had three refrigerators and the rule was that any unlabeled food was public property. Normally everything was labeled, but Leticia knew that Janet was among the first to be tempted when temptation was present. She left half a pizza and two eclairs unmarked. Sure enough, by morning they were gone.

Leticia couldn't be sure, of course, that Janet was taking them, so the next day she left two-thirds of a pie and some ice cream. Later in the evening a good portion of both were gone and she dropped by Janet's room. With a quiet smile she noted the used paper plate in the waste basket.

The third evening someone else left a half finished tuna casserole they had shared with their boyfriend. It and the balance of the ice cream made a satisfying snack for the unsuspecting Janet.

Meanwhile Brian and Melanie were setting the stage for their roles. Brian got into a conversation with Janet about managing his family's restaurants. He then mentioned that he had a two for one book that included a number of Vermont restaurants, suggesting that they might visit a few during the break. Monica had not told Brian of Janet's plot against her. She had simply suggested that exploiting her interest in food might be a good way to break the ice and get her involved in activities such as bowling and square dancing. She had then conveniently supplied him with the book. Janet, who had not been out dining with anyone in two years, readily accepted.

Melanie took a few days to scout out local cultural attractions via the internet, then invited Janet to accompany her to a movie at Melanie's expense. She then treated her to dinner and during the evening complained to Janet that it was a shame that college students never got off campus during the cold weather.

"I have a perfectly decent car," she said, "and plan to put some groups together over the next two weeks. I've already managed to get some major league discounts. Want to be a part?" Wallflower Janet again accepted without hesitation, never dreaming that the few dollars she and the others in the group would be paying were merely supplementing the $400 subsidy Monica had supplied..

Monica and Guy left town for Boston as the school shut down. Leticia then put phase two of the plan into motion. Janet and the other students no longer had to get up at 5:30. In fact they could lounge around all morning if they choose. So Leticia volunteered to make breakfasts during the break and, to be sure Janet participated, conditioned it upon Janet's evaluating her for "extra credit." Flattered, Janet accepted this invitation too, not realizing that the $2.00 per capita Leticia was charging others (but not Janet) was only covering half of the true food bill.

Leticia's breakfasts were more like buffets One day there would be omelets, other days turkey burritos with salsa, another day broche French toast with berries, on another a special soup with corn bread. Always there were melons, pancakes and cereal. Naturally there were leftovers and as a result there was always something left to munch on later.

Janet reveled in her role as advisor, sampling and critiquing everything before retiring to the lounge to read. At noon she would graze on the leftovers as did some of the others on the dorm. On the third day she had her first date with Brian.

His choice was a restaurant in neighboring town called Laney's. He had warned her to bring her appetite. It was needed. They each began with an appetizer. Hers was the Rocky Macho Nacho Supreme --- crunchy tortilla chips smothered with Vermont cheddar cheese, chili, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, and the house salsa. He ordered Blazing Saddles --- chili laced with top sirloin, beans and lots of spice, topped with sour cream diced onion and melted cheddar cheese. They each shared with one another, discussing each aspect of the meal.

Next came the main course. She had Pasta Primivera in the form of a dish curiously named the Oliver Twist, featuring a special marinara sauces augmented with asiago cheese He had another incongruously named dish --- Mrs. Doubtfire, a 1½ lb wood roasted chicken dish with garlic and herbs. Both were served with loaves of homemade herb bread, red cabbage cold slaw and baked potato. Stuffed, they let dessert suffice with simple dishes of vanilla ice cream.

The next day after breakfast Janet left with Melanie's first excursion to the Burlington area. By 9:00 they were at the Flynn Theater, a 1930's art deco building which features regular theater, dance, jazz and children s programs throughout the year. Luncheon was at a local deli. Janet had a New York Carnegie Reuben sandwich --- corned beef grilled with sauerkraut with Swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing, served on rye bread with fries and cold slaw.

Then it was on to the Robert Hull Fleming Museum, whose collection includes Oriental, Primitive, Pre-Columbian, Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance, Modern, and American art; anthropology; archaeology; sculpture; graphics; decorative arts; costumes; glass; textiles; and American Indian artifacts. Melanie made sure the group walked as much as possible to be sure Janet would have a good appetite for summer.

She needn't have worried. The previous three days of gormandizing had heightened Janet's normally hearty appetite. Supper was at the Silver Palace on Williston in South Burlington. She was enthralled by the availability of Gwen Jin style Atlantic Salmon seared in a wok with scallions, garlic, wine and soy so as t produce a caramel effect. Buddha’s Delight --- a mixed vegetable entrée sautéed in white wine and garlic, accompanied it.

By the time they arrived home Janet was ready for a good night's sleep --- but not before peeking in the refrigerator to see what was available. She savored the pie witch two scoops of ice cream, as she dozed off, unmindful of the fact that she had consumed over 4000 calories that day.

Meanwhile, Guy and Monica had departed early on I-89 for the what they anticipated would be a five hour drive from Montpelier to Boston, linking up with the I-93 in New Hampshire. This would include a ninety-minute layover in Suncook, NH, where they would stop for a late breakfast. The purpose was to carry out a special assignment for Guy's Secret Shopper employers. As Guy had alerted Monica, a client on the Pacific Coast had advanced monies to a relative to buy a successful café. Part of the deal stipulated that part of the net profits were to be applied to the purchase price. Since then, profits had gone up even as sales had declined. The client 's accountant suspected this was phony. He thought it might be being accomplished not by improved efficiency but by dangerous failure to spend needed monies.

Rolling into the parking lot the fears appeared to have foundation. Formerly called Sandy's, the café was now Randy's --- and the change memorialized by simply pasting a letter R over the S on the exterior signage. Undeterred by first impressions they entered, only to find similar changes on the face of the menus. Furthermore, prices on several menu items had been covered by masking tape and new values entered with a marking pen.

The menu itself showed promise. Monica ordered chicken quesedillas, which turned out to be tortillas wrapped around marinated grilled chicken and served with salsa, guacamole and chutney. Guy had a hamburger and fresh vegetable omelet with hash browns. Both elected pancakes rather than toast or muffins with their meal. To their surprise both orders were served in a timely fashion and were quite good.

The service was another matter. Their server could barely speak English and could not understand, much less answer, their questions about menu items. She also included on their bill a side order that had been given by another customer. Finally, they had to ask twice for their coffee cups to be refilled.

In spite of the obvious defects they each had a piece of pie before leaving --- as much as to test the service again as from genuine appetite. Both pieces were excellent. "I can only imagine what you will be writing about this place, "Monica remarked. "Have you noticed the lack of control at the register?"

"For half of the customers they just make change out of the drawer. The register tapes are meaningless --- this place is just asking to be creamed in a sales tax audit."

Guy was startled by the acuity of Monica's observation --- he was the one taking restaurant management courses --- but had to acknowledge the truth of her statement.

Leaving Suncook they made Boston easily by 1:00. Monica checked into to a motel. Guy then took her on an overview tour of the city, comparing views on sites in the town he was raised in and where she had spent her college years. There sharing included mid-afternoon helpings of Boston crème pie at the Bull and Finch Pub, whose exterior is famous as the inspiration for the Cheers television program.

By evening they were ready for supper at Monica's expense. Knowing that Guy's family owned restaurants in town she went with the best--- the famous Casablanca adjacent to her alma mater. Its self-description is in this case entirely valid ---a Harvard Square institution - complete with a dining room mural of Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman - where tweedy academics and Cambridge regulars enjoy colorful, seasonally-oriented Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine.

"I'll defer selection of the wine to you," she said to Guy as they selected their appetizers. She had the spicy lamb lame jun, encased in a thick crust which was also filled with Syrian chiles, parsley, sheep' milk yogurt, and fried sweet pepper. He chose eggplant tonnanto, tuna with capers rolled in eggplant grano and parsley. On the side she had a special garlic toast with Jerusalem style carrot salad, pine nuts, mint and dill

"I'll bet the students don't eat here often," he remarked. These appetizers alone are nearly a meal."

"Now you see what the wine is for," she smiled. "And you're right, this is a once in a semester experience --- for most. Actually, being in athletics and all I only came here twice, but I think you can see where I became acquainted with a desire to learn the art of fine cooking."

"You really want to make this your life's work then?" he said.

"I don't really know --- but to be able to do it at a fraction of the cost, yes. What do you think of entertaining guests with this kind of food in one's own dining room?"

"Not many women today would want the challenge."

"No more difficult than a thanksgiving dinner if you plan it right and know what your doing. Its like playing your own music or fixing a car --- a lost art."

It was time to order the main course. She deliberately picked a dish seldom seen in most restaurants, seared rare venison au polvre, served as a pumpkin, juniper and apple crepe; she encouraged Guy to try the more expensive but more traditional aged grilled sirloin, garnished with onions and gruyere gratinees and served with roasted just dug potatoes and herb salad. Knowing that the Continental style portions were not massive she also ordered a side dish of assorted vegetables for them to share.

Gradually the wine and food disappeared. It was a truly romantic evening capped off by shared dessert. She had the brown butter almond cake with sangria fruit and sorbert. He selected the apple tart with cranberry custard sauce and cheddar. Without even reviewing it she returned the bill to the waiter with what Guy was certain were two c-notes.

"Guess I was an expensive date," he remarked.

"About time I paid you back a little for all you've spent on me," she replied as she pocketed the change. To herself she thought "Its only fair you learn just what kind of woman is falling in love with you. I hope you're liking it."

As he went to bed that night Guy wondered how his family would take to Monica when they met her the next evening. His Uncle Giovanni, he knew, was more of the old school and didn't really believe smart women like Monica could also be feminine enough to make good wives.

Monica, ever competitive was up for the challenge. As always, she quickly tried to bond with each family member with a leading but sincere question, taking particular care to smile and grasp the hand of Uncle Giovanni, who was also the Treasurer of the family business and overseer of the pension plan.

Guy's mother looked on approvingly as Monica kept up with men in consuming wine and antipasto. She smiled and graciously accepted seconds on the hearty prosciutto and beef Lasagne with its layers of rich, meaty tomato sauce, creamy cheese and delicate flavorings. She asked her about the preparation steps for the tortino comprised of baked eggplant, zucchini and parmesan cheese. She soon knew that she had Mama's approval, and papa seemed to agree but her attention was on Uncle Giovanni.

When he began pontificating about his latest concerns over a change in mutual fund managers she saw her opening. The real question was how Guy would react.

"Isn't that fund based right here in Boston?' she asked innocently. "why not arrange to sit in on an analyst's meeting with this new manager and learn about him up front. I'm sure your stockbroker could arrange it."

"That's fine for the big boys, Young lady," huffed Giovanni, "but we only have $700,000 with these people. They're not going to give us a private audience for that! What do you know about such things at your age in the first place?"

"My Uncle is an investment banker and I've worked for him for three summers," she replied, not mentioning that she had an active series seven license herself. "He does it all the time --- its just a matter of timing and how you approach it. This is a Fidelity fund and they are usually pretty easy.”

"Well, if you can get your Uncle to set me up, go ahead." Giovanni replied..

"I may ask his advice, but I'ld rather do it myself," she said with a smile.. "It's the holiday season so no guarantees, but I'll try.

Guy didn't know who to be madder at --- Monica for her audacity or his Uncle for his condescending attitude. But Mrs. Nesci intervened by announcing hat it was time for dessert --- Almond Roca ice cream. She gave Monica an especially generous portion.

"What was that all about?" he asked as he drove her to her motel.

"Just setting the stage for making a new friend," she replied, "assuming of course that I can deliver. Can you pick me up at 9:00 tomorrow for breakfast? I'm going to have to do some early morning work."

"Would you mind explaining?"

"Alright, you deserve to know. My Uncle's practice has over $17 million invested with Fidelity on behalf of various clients. I've been to several of their dog and pony shows with him --- they treat him very nicely. Two years ago I got my own license just to see if I could and I know the process. But its courtesy, when you set something like this up, to let the manager have some idea of your concerns --- so I need to spend some time tomorrow researching a list of questions."

"Physics major, professional chef, possible doctor --- now a stockbroker. How many different careers are you considering?"

"Making a certain handsome Italian happy is the main one at the moment. --- I hope your mom didn't think I was eating like a pig!"

"Not a chance --- she put that meal together to see if you could eat like family and you did just fine."

"Good --- Uncle Giovanni is hopefully next."

Latest posts

Back