Plus sized centric episodes or story elements in television or films.

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by Clonenumber47, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Nov 25, 2018 #81

Mark02

Mark02

Mark02

2. Nov 25, 2018 #82

ChocolateBear

ChocolateBear

ChocolateBear

She was fantastic in season 2 of Justified (for which she won an Emmy) :)

3. Dec 4, 2018 #83

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

I loved those shows!!!!

4. Dec 4, 2018 #84

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

5. Dec 4, 2018 #85

knightmare870

knightmare870

knightmare870

Does anybody remember the plus size beauty pageant that was on the Oxygen chabbch in either 2005 or 2006? It was called "Mo'nique's F.A.T. Chance". It was basically Miss. America, but directed solely to finding and representing SS/BBW women. They only did one and then it was never done again. Kind of a shame, really.

squeezablysoft likes this.
  6. Dec 19, 2018 #86

Ffancy

Ffancy

Ffancy

The Sopranos features a ton of fat men, and food and eating are woven through the whole show.

There was a UK show called Fat Friends, about a group of people who meet at a slimming club, become friends and improve their lives without weight loss. There is a lot of dieting and negative views on fat but the characters are treated as fully human and they push back against these views too.

The Full Monty has a plot line about a fat guy getting his groove back.

There’s a movie called A Matter of Size which is about a bunch of fat Israelis who start learning to do sumo wrestling.

Actually, sumo wrestling in general. You can watch bouts on YouTube. Poetry in motion.

Jerry Thomas and Yakatori like this.
  7. Dec 19, 2018 #87

john1097

john1097

john1097

Thanks Mark.

8. Dec 20, 2018 #88

Navydude

Navydude

Navydude

LifelongFA likes this.
  9. Jan 11, 2019 #89

FatStories

FatStories

FatStories

She also guest-starred on an episode of "Barney Miller" as a housewife arrested for throwing a coffee mug at her husband because he wouldn't stop comparing her to his skinny ex-wife, and made her buy jeans so tight she can barely stagger into the precinct.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  10. Jan 17, 2019 #90

saturn70

saturn70

saturn70

There was a really good sex scene in "Shameless", where Lip makes love to a BBW he meets at a party at the University of Chicago. Taylor Cardace played the BBW. I would post the link, but because there is nudity and sexual content, I am not sure it is allowed.

Mark02 likes this.
  11. Jan 17, 2019 #91

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

You can link to the actress and or the IMDB?

12. Jan 26, 2019 #92

Mainegal

Mainegal

Mainegal

I'm here to help!

bubba350 likes this.
  13. Jan 28, 2019 #93

ravfa

ravfa

ravfa

Here's a few movies that haven't been mentioned:

Zuckerbaby (1985). A German film directed by Percy Adlon, starring Marianne Sagebrecht as a fat, lonely mortician who develops a crush on a married subway conductor she sees while going to work, and pursues him relentlessly. Its something of an art film, and does not have a happy ending, but Sagebrecht is very good in it. It was remade for network TV, premiering on CBS on Valentine's Day, 1989, as Baby Cakes. This starred Rikki Lake and Craig Sheffer as the smitten mortician and the object of her affection. It is a more conventionally mainstream film, and this one does have a happy ending, which works well and leaves viewers with a smile on their faces. Lake is delightful.

As she was in a movie I can't believe nobody has yet mentioned, Hairspray (1988), John Waters's quirky PG rated comedy, which also starred his muse, Divine. They played, respectively, spunky fat heroine Tracy Turnblad and her mom, Edna. The first film I can think of that had a fat girl as the lead character - and she gets the guy! This was, of course, turned into a Broadway musical in 2002, staring newcomer Marissa Jaret Winotur and Harvey Firestone as Tracy and Edna. This was a huge success, and begat a film version of it's own in 2007, with another newcomer, Nikki Blonsky. I can't comment on this version. I refused to see it, since casting a thinner actor in a fat suit (John Travolta) as Edna Turnblad (in a movie at least in part about size acceptance, and large size empowerment) seems to me equivalent to casting a Caucasian in blackface in one of the African-American roles. Finally, NBC aired a live broadcast of the musical with a new cast in 2016. As with the other versions, a fresh face made her debut as Tracy Turnblad, Maddie Baillo.

In 1987, director Percy Adlon and star Marianne Sagebrecht reteamed for the English language cult film Bagdad Café. It also starred Jack Palance and C.C.H. Pounder. A memorable scene is when Palance's character paints a nude portrait of Sagebrecht.

Another made for television film, this time broadcast on the Lifetime network, was Queen Sized, (2008), starring Nikki Blonsky, from the 2007 version of Hairspray. This is a high school-set dramady about a fat girl who is nominated for homecoming queen as a cruel joke, but goes on to win.

Finally, there is the independent 2002 film Real Women Have Curves, starring American Ferrera. Based on the acclaimed play written by Josefina Lopez, and directed by a woman, Patricia Cardoso, it recounts the struggles of a family of Latina women in East L.A., fighting against racism, sizeism, and constricting expectations. None of the women are super size, particularly Ferrera, but it is an engaging film detailing the lives of characters who are seldom granted the spotlight in movies. It also stars George Lopez, in a supporting role as a mentor/teacher.

As far as the movies that have already been mentioned. . .I fucking hate Shallow Hal and especially Feed (and I'm a horror movie aficionado!). On the other hand, I love City Island. As far as I know, its the first mainstream film to include feederism in it's story (even if it is a subplot). Not only that, they don't treat it in an exploitative or distorted way. Who woulda thunk?

waldo, agouderia and Bartholomew like this.
  14. Jan 28, 2019 #94

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

Love her too.

DragonFly likes this.
  15. Jan 29, 2019 #95

agouderia

agouderia

agouderia

Library Girl Staff Member Library Mod

If we're talking Marianne Sägebrecht, a beautiful film with her is the French-Czech "Martha et moi" (1990) - starring alongside French intellectual hottie Michel Piccoli.
    Story is about a Jewish doctor who marries his Sudeten-German housekeeper in early 1930's Prague - and how that conflicts with their families and is doomed after the Nazis occupy Czechoslowakia.

Marianne Sägebrecht is in her mid-70's by now, but still active and well, and can be found regularly on German television.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  16. Mar 10, 2019 #96

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

Thanks clonenumber47. As i was going through the list I was thinking of Feed.

17. Apr 6, 2019 #97

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

7FB63493-CDBE-492C-9D1B-5C8BBBB90A74.jpeg https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4878482/

Dumplin a Netflix Origional

waldo likes this.
  18. Apr 8, 2019 #98

Clonenumber47

Clonenumber47

Clonenumber47

Mike

Although a video game, I felt it related enough to post it onto this thread

"Dragon's Lair II" - 1991
    Princess Daphne is kidnapped by an evil wizard, Mordroc, and Dirk the Daring must venture forth to rescue her again.

In stage 1, Dirk must evade his mother in law, an aggressive BBW viking who is driven to beat the crap out of him for letting Daphne get kidnapped again.
    [​IMG]

In stage 4, Dirk purses Mordroc through the garden of Eden, dodging a number of obstacles, and Eve, a SSBBW who is quite smitten with Dirk...
    [​IMG]

19. Apr 8, 2019 #99

Killexia

Killexia

Killexia

I am a big fan of horror. Lately I've been going back and watching Italian horror. The Argento brothers tend to use a lot of large women in sexy roles in their movies. It is a small part but usually plays a significant one for that scene. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm watching "Santa Sangre" and there is a scene where the main character is given to a fat prostitute about 45 minutes in. The movie is co-written by Claudio Argento.

20. Apr 9, 2019 #100

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

The movie ‘Casanova’ has a fun subplot with Oliver Platt.