Plus sized centric episodes or story elements in television or films.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Driving down my memory lanes, I have found I just watched a movie made for TV in the early 90s with a plot based on the weight of a lady.

It was titled Babycakes. And, as a matter of bonus points, I also found it was the american remake of a German movie, Zuckerbaby!

On this video, we have a comparison between the two movies:

RabbitScorpion

vienna carrier-no venom
Driving down my memory lanes, I have found I just watched a movie made for TV in the early 90s with a plot based on the weight of a lady.

It was titled Babycakes. And, as a matter of bonus points, I also found it was the american remake of a German movie, Zuckerbaby!

On this video, we have a comparison between the two movies:

I saw this on TV when it was relatively new (January, 1990)

The star character was Ricki Lake, who would go on to have a long career.

LJ Rock

I remember this show stirred up a little controversy when it came out (I think some people felt it was maybe a bit sexist as they only featured fat women and no fat men?)

What did you think @DitzyBrunette?

I found this show Hot and Heavy on TLC while watching My Big Fat Fabulous Life. Looks interesting, watching it now.

DitzyBrunette

Well, filibuster.
I remember this show stirred up a little controversy when it came out (I think some people felt it was maybe a bit sexist as they only featured fat women and no fat men?)

What did you think @DitzyBrunette?
Frankly, it pissed me off. I watched all three available episodes already, and it angered me. Two of the guys seem to love their women for who they are, but the third just wanted a fat girl, didn't matter about anything else. But it was the reactions from everyone else - who I sincerely hope were hired as actors - when they acted like *GASP* a FAT person has the audacity to be out in public and eating or drinking or just existing. One couple goes to therapy and the therapist, a doctor, for fucks sake, says that the guy "prefers his wife heavy, that's rare." Like, what?! The ignorance of the whole thing was infuriating. Everyone was awful, ignorant, rude, just horrid people.

LJ Rock

Frankly, it pissed me off. I watched all three available episodes already, and it angered me. Two of the guys seem to love their women for who they are, but the third just wanted a fat girl, didn't matter about anything else. But it was the reactions from everyone else - who I sincerely hope were hired as actors - when they acted like *GASP* a FAT person has the audacity to be out in public and eating or drinking or just existing. One couple goes to therapy and the therapist, a doctor, for fucks sake, says that the guy "prefers his wife heavy, that's rare." Like, what?! The ignorance of the whole thing was infuriating. Everyone was awful, ignorant, rude, just horrid people.

So more "heavy" and not so much "hot." :confused:

Seems like so many of these kinds of shows are meant to celebrate ignorant views and deplorable behavior... but maybe that's just me. Either way it's too bad; a wasted opportunity to create something unique and special.

DitzyBrunette

Well, filibuster.
So more "heavy" and not so much "hot." :confused:

Seems like so many of these kinds of shows are meant to celebrate ignorant views and deplorable behavior... but maybe that's just me. Either way it's too bad; a wasted opportunity to create something unique and special.

Apparently the "hot" part was supposed to be the thin, society accepted "normal" sized men, and the heavy was the long suffering women who could not possibly be described as hot themselves or ever land an average sized man. I tell you, infuriating. I would not have watched it had I known. I thought it was to show overweight women in normal everyday relationships, but the show was just to showcase more ignorance.

BigElectricKat

Apparently the "hot" part was supposed to be the thin, society accepted "normal" sized men, and the heavy was the long suffering women who could not possibly be described as hot themselves or ever land an average sized man. I tell you, infuriating. I would not have watched it had I known. I thought it was to show overweight women in normal everyday relationships, but the show was just to showcase more ignorance.
Apparently no one (except us Dims folk) wants to see what you are describing. This type of show sets a bad example for young people who may be struggling with their identity or weight (or both). What does it say to girls/young women; you can't be overweight and find a good man? And since bigger guys are not represented AT ALL, what does that say to them? Society doesn't even think you're worth it? Geeze, this is sad. :(

Last edited:
It's a shame when we have to face stereotypes in media, but also it's also a shame when a production just arises on mainstream media and we the fat condemned it by the same standard we condemned mainstream media that made a mockery of us.

This is the case of a wonderful TV show titled babes. I just loved it but the criticism made to shorten it's life to only 28 episodes.

I still miss it so much that I have tried to find on DVD but it was impossible to find.

I remember I had a crush on the late Susan Peretz.

1990_Press_Photo_Susan_Peretz_Wendie_Jo_Sperber_Lesley_Bone_in_Babes_.jpg

DitzyBrunette

Well, filibuster.
Apparently no one (except us Dims folk) wants to see what you are describing. This type of show sets a bad example for young people who may be struggling with their identity or weight (or both). What does it say to girls/young women; you can't be overweight and find a good man? And since bigger guys are not represented AT ALL, what does that say to them? Society doesn't even think you're worth it? Geeze, this is sad. :(

I'm also concerned about their self worth in general, not just finding a man, and this show just shits all over the idea that an overweight woman should be allowed the right to have any self-esteem. :mad:

I see bigger guys all the time on tv, though. Heck, my favorite actor is Kevin James, an overweight guy who starred in his own show for 9 years and had a beautiful thin tv wife. Bigger guys with dad bods are considered hot (I don't disagree, they are lol) and they find fame easily. But fat actresses land roles where their fat is the identity of the character. I hate the media sometimes.

BigElectricKat

I'm also concerned about their self worth in general, not just finding a man, and this show just shits all over the idea that an overweight woman should be allowed the right to have any self-esteem. :mad:

I see bigger guys all the time on tv, though. Heck, my favorite actor is Kevin James, an overweight guy who starred in his own show for 9 years and had a beautiful thin tv wife. Bigger guys with dad bods are considered hot (I don't disagree, they are lol) and they find fame easily. But fat actresses land roles where their fat is the identity of the character. I hate the media sometimes.
I did kinda gloss over the self-worth aspect, lumping it with identity, but I agree with your point. Sadly, we shouldn't look to the media for any validation of our own self-esteem. It will be another 20 years before they really get onboard in a greater way. It's probably why I find big gals who have confidence to be so alluring. It's sometimes a rarity.

As far as bigger guys with dad bods being hot, could you please let me know where in the world there are more women who have that opinion. I think myself and great many of the BHM's around here would gladly pick up and move to that neighborhood!

DitzyBrunette

Well, filibuster.
As far as bigger guys with dad bods being hot, could you please let me know where in the world there are more women who have that opinion. I think myself and great many of the BHM's around here would gladly pick up and move to that neighborhood!

If I had the answer to that, and all the men moved there, I'd have to move there, too to find a good guy. I get messages/likes on dating apps all the time but the physical type is rarely what I want! 😩

Anyway - apologies for derailing this thread; when I posted about that show I had no idea it was so awful. I hadn't watched it yet. I would never have posted it here if I had known. 😭

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
It's a shame when we have to face stereotypes in media, but also it's also a shame when a production just arises on mainstream media and we the fat condemned it by the same standard we condemned mainstream media that made a mockery of us.

This is the case of a wonderful TV show titled babes. I just loved it but the criticism made to shorten it's life to only 28 episodes.

I still miss it so much that I have tried to find on DVD but it was impossible to find.

I remember I had a crush on the late Susan Peretz.

View attachment 139204
I was all about Leslie Boone.

Latest posts