• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Tea Party Racism

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmac

Yet another instance of the racism motivating the Tea Party people. The following article is from Mother Jones a respected (and openly liberal) news magazine. A good source for people tired of Fox and Glenn Beck.

Tea Partiers Heckle Dems With Racist, Homophobic Slurs
Protesters taunted Barney Frank and John Lewis and spat on Emanuel Cleaver during a rally Saturday.

By Suzy Khimm | Sat Mar. 20, 2010 2:28 PM PDT

Tea Partiers protesting the health care bill in Washington hurled racist and homophobic epithets at two Democratic congressmen and spat on a black Democratic legislator prior to President Obama's speech before House Dems on Saturday afternoon.

Rep. John Lewis was called "the N-word" when he was on the floor of the House earlier today by "a heckler from the Tea Party, a protester," Kristie Greco, a press secretary for House Majority Whip James Clyburn, said this afternoon. Another protester spat at [1] Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, another black Democrat, as he was walking from the Longsworth House building to attend Obama's speech. In a separate incident, Rep. Barney Frank, who is openly gay, was called [2] "******," also as he was leaving the Longsworth building.

Clyburn, who spoke with Lewis after the incident, said that he outraged about the racist attacks on his colleagues. "I heard people saying things today I have not heard since March 15, 1960 when I was marching to try to get off the back of the bus," he said. "This is incredible, this is shocking." Tea Party leaders called their rally today "the last chance" to kill the health care bill, featuring speeches by Rep. Steve King, Mike Pence, and other Republican members of Congress.

Clyburn suggested, however, that he and his colleagues were not surprised that such racist sentiments were behind some of the public outrage against the Democratic health care bill.

"A lot of us have been saying for a long time that much of this is not about health care at all. And I think that a lot of people out there today demonstrated this," Clyburn said at the Capitol Vistors Center after the speech, where protesters continued to shout "vote no" at the passing members of Congress. Rather, he explained, the protesters' opposition was in reaction "to extend a basic fundamental right to people who are less powerful."

When asked whether he felt apprehensive as a result of the racist attacks, Clyburn replied: "As I said to one heckler, I'm the hardest person in the world to intimidate."

Update: Post was updated with confirmation [1] of the spitting incident. Cleaver said that he would not press charges against the protester.
Source URL: http://motherjones.com/mojo/2010/03/tea-partiers-heckle-dems-racist-homophobic-slurs

Links:
[1] http://www.politico.com/livepulse/0310/Cleaver_spat_on.html
[2] http://www.politico.com/livepulse/0310/Tensions_run_high_outside_Democratic_meeting.html

Latest posts

Back