Whatever happened to apple pie?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Modern apples do not have much taste
THIS.

So very much this.

Especially in the quantities required for industrial production (which is what you'd see in chain restaurants, and probably most others unless they're specifically sourcing artisinal ingredients), you're just not going to see high-quality apples. They've been hybridized and whatnot to survive transportation to the processing facility without spoilage. Consumer-grade ones also have to look nice on arrival and have maximum shelf life. Flavor is a far lower priority.

Skye23

Costco makes a pretty good apple pie, its huge and its like $9.99 or something. Whenever we have a pot luck or community dinner I bring one of those as a place-holder for the dessert table and there's rarely very much or any left when the meal is over.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
on the apple pie subject...

i went to lunch with a friend about a week or so ago. we went to a local place that is very family friendly and has excellent hamburgers. there was a little sign on the table that said 'try our apple pie milkshake'. so of course i did!

i ordered it and the waitress says 'we are out of brown sugar ice cream, but i know we have the pie...let me check'. they actually blend a slice of apple pie into a milkshake. since they did not have the brown sugar ice cream i had mine with vanilla. they shake in a hint of cinnamon. it was amazing! i thought it would be weird to have the itty bitty pie chunks in it...they were super small and didn't bother me. SO GOOD!

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Modern apples do not have much taste so I try to have several types together. Use cane sugar or light brown sugar with some cinnamon or apple pie spice mix. I know USA sells this but never seen it here in EU. Should you like adding raisins to the mix try to get plump recent raisins and not old stock dried out raisins that have been sitting there.
Modernize that apple pie add some cherries or some blackcurrants.
Agree as far as many modern apple varieties go Orchid.

I don't know where in the EU you live, but from my cross-EU apple baking experience I can recommend the following apple varieties:

F = Antoinette
D/NL/B/Lux: Boskoop, Elstar, Pinova
I/GR: Jonathan

Raisins get even better if you soak them in rum/Cognac or a French apple spirit (Calvados or Pommeau) beforehand. ;)

I have yet to try the blackcurrants, but I've used dried cherries, a base of cowberry preserve - bith very good - or my new favorite for apple strudel (pie's Austrian cousin..) are dried cranberries - tastes great!

'try our apple pie milkshake'.
I confess to being a dogmatic food Puritan when it comes to this type of creation. Please - no cookie dough in ice cream, or apple pie in milk shake or cheese cake flavoured yoghurt (was offered that for dessert today). Mushing everything up that's supposed to convince by it's texture or needs to be baked or whatever - uuuggh - no thank you!

Rojodi

Local Greek restaurant/diner still makes apple pies daily. You just need to get there before 2 PM or the old people and truckers have it gone!

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Local Greek restaurant/diner still makes apple pies daily.
Do they make actual American style apple pie? Or more like Greek miló pitá? Meaning thin flaky filó dough, sometimes multi-layered (in contrast to a pie crust) with a filling with honey, cinnamon & walnut?

Rojodi

Do they make actual American style apple pie? Or more like Greek miló pitá? Meaning thin flaky filó dough, sometimes multi-layered (in contrast to a pie crust) with a filling with honey, cinnamon & walnut?
'Murican style. They make Greek desserts - your example and baklava - all day!

Ho Ho Tai

Burn the witch! :p

But have you ever tried Dutch Apple Pie? It starts with dried apples, so ends up with a very different consistency than regular apple pie.
Coming home from Duluth last Sunday, we stopped in Moose Lake for coffee and a treat. The Lazy Moose restaurant has been through several changes of owners, names and menus. We have been there a number of times. When we were more adventurous, that was our northern stop when we were biking. The link takes you directly to their menu. Everything is cooked on-site. It was Mrs Ho Ho's birthday and we could have had our birthday celebration right there.

I was just going to have a cup of coffee and a bowl of chili, but the dessert counter beckoned and I wound up with a piece of Dutch Apple pie. Oh, that was good, including a very tender, flaky crust (lard, I'm sure).

Give it a try and get back to me. I'm the complaint department.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter

Rojodi

I live an hour's drive from where Pie A La Mode was created - Cambridge Inn, Cambridge NY.

Cheese on a pie is not an upstate NY thing. Some restaurants offered that choice in the 80s and 90s, haven't since.

Leem

Leem
I hate store bought apple pie, but home made apple pie is amazing. I think it is one of the best desserts. I also love blueberry and cherry:eat1:eek:k ok ....all pies if made right beat most chain restaurant's desserts.

I recently had an apple pie with a cheddar crust that was Devine. I had never had a cheese crust but it was crispy and savory and complemented the apple to perfection. The friend who made it said it was an old New England tradition, especially in Massachusetts.

My mom makes a pie that is similar to a Reese's but even better almost a cheesecake peanut butter filling with a thick fudge poured on top. Ah pie....

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing
The best, most tempting apple pie to me is more of an apple crisp...with vanilla ice cream....with a hot buttery caramel sauce all over it.
Just saying.....

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
my mother has long been part of a group their church that's makes a great whack of pies to sell at the Christmas bazaar each year -- it was a pretty good fund raiser and pulled people into the bazaar, where they may buy other stuff.

But they didn't do it this past year; at 78 my mom was one of the youngest in the group, and their leader decided to hang up her apron when she turned ninety, and the rest decided they were getting too old for it too.

Their church has a fair mix of ages, so I'm not sure if they are the last of the generation that all learner pie making as a basic domestic skill, or just the last to volunteer their time, but I suspect at least a good part of the former.

plushkitty

But they didn't do it this past year; at 78 my mom was one of the youngest in the group, and their leader decided to hang up her apron when she turned ninety, and the rest decided they were getting too old for it too.

Their church has a fair mix of ages, so I'm not sure if they are the last of the generation that all learner pie making as a basic domestic skill, or just the last to volunteer their time, but I suspect at least a good part of the former.
I'm in my thirties and I bake a darn good pie! Coconut banana cream and lemon sour cream are my specialties, but I can do apple, cherry, pumpkin, pecan, all the classics. My mom and grandma didn't bake very good pies, so I had to teach myself from cookbooks and the internet. Maybe with the rise of internet tutorials and foodie culture we'll see a resurgence of pie baking. I have a friend several years younger than me who makes a Concord grape pie that's to die for, she won a blue ribbon at the county fair!

Leem

Leem
I have never heard of grape pie before is it a hot or cold pie?

Also I bake a lot of pies from scratch during the winter and some of my friends also bake pies.

Latest posts