Whatever happened to apple pie?

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by Dr. Feelgood, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Dec 21, 2015 #21

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

On Space Out

THIS.

So very much this.

Especially in the quantities required for industrial production (which is what you'd see in chain restaurants, and probably most others unless they're specifically sourcing artisinal ingredients), you're just not going to see high-quality apples. They've been hybridized and whatnot to survive transportation to the processing facility without spoilage. Consumer-grade ones also have to look nice on arrival and have maximum shelf life. Flavor is a far lower priority.

2. Dec 27, 2015 #22

Skye23

Skye23

Skye23

Costco makes a pretty good apple pie, its huge and its like $9.99 or something. Whenever we have a pot luck or community dinner I bring one of those as a place-holder for the dessert table and there's rarely very much or any left when the meal is over.

3. Feb 22, 2016 #23

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

on the apple pie subject...

i went to lunch with a friend about a week or so ago. we went to a local place that is very family friendly and has excellent hamburgers. there was a little sign on the table that said 'try our apple pie milkshake'. so of course i did!

i ordered it and the waitress says 'we are out of brown sugar ice cream, but i know we have the pie...let me check'. they actually blend a slice of apple pie into a milkshake. since they did not have the brown sugar ice cream i had mine with vanilla. they shake in a hint of cinnamon. it was amazing! i thought it would be weird to have the itty bitty pie chunks in it...they were super small and didn't bother me. SO GOOD!

4. Feb 22, 2016 #24

agouderia

agouderia

agouderia

Library Girl Staff Member Library Mod

Agree as far as many modern apple varieties go Orchid.

I don't know where in the EU you live, but from my cross-EU apple baking experience I can recommend the following apple varieties:

F = Antoinette
    D/NL/B/Lux: Boskoop, Elstar, Pinova
    I/GR: Jonathan

Raisins get even better if you soak them in rum/Cognac or a French apple spirit (Calvados or Pommeau) beforehand. ;)

I have yet to try the blackcurrants, but I've used dried cherries, a base of cowberry preserve - bith very good - or my new favorite for apple strudel (pie's Austrian cousin..) are dried cranberries - tastes great!

I confess to being a dogmatic food Puritan when it comes to this type of creation. Please - no cookie dough in ice cream, or apple pie in milk shake or cheese cake flavoured yoghurt (was offered that for dessert today). Mushing everything up that's supposed to convince by it's texture or needs to be baked or whatever - uuuggh - no thank you!

5. Feb 22, 2016 #25

Rojodi

Rojodi

Rojodi

Local Greek restaurant/diner still makes apple pies daily. You just need to get there before 2 PM or the old people and truckers have it gone!

6. Feb 23, 2016 #26

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

I can't rep you for this, but I can swear undying allegiance. :bow::bow::bow:

agouderia likes this.
  7. Feb 23, 2016 #27

agouderia

agouderia

agouderia

Library Girl Staff Member Library Mod

Do they make actual American style apple pie? Or more like Greek miló pitá? Meaning thin flaky filó dough, sometimes multi-layered (in contrast to a pie crust) with a filling with honey, cinnamon & walnut?

8. Feb 23, 2016 #28

Rojodi

Rojodi

Rojodi

'Murican style. They make Greek desserts - your example and baklava - all day!

9. Feb 24, 2016 #29

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

10. Feb 24, 2016 #30

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Coming home from Duluth last Sunday, we stopped in Moose Lake for coffee and a treat. The Lazy Moose restaurant has been through several changes of owners, names and menus. We have been there a number of times. When we were more adventurous, that was our northern stop when we were biking. The link takes you directly to their menu. Everything is cooked on-site. It was Mrs Ho Ho's birthday and we could have had our birthday celebration right there.

I was just going to have a cup of coffee and a bowl of chili, but the dessert counter beckoned and I wound up with a piece of Dutch Apple pie. Oh, that was good, including a very tender, flaky crust (lard, I'm sure).

Give it a try and get back to me. I'm the complaint department.

11. May 18, 2017 #31

traceg

traceg

traceg

Ive at a few pies over the years and loved every one:blush:

12. May 18, 2017 #32

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

Love the quote! When I lived in Alabama one of the little country meat and 3 always had an apple and cheese dish that had a crust. Same concept. If you are lucky some places even had pineapple and cheese casserole. Oh how I miss some things in the south......

13. May 18, 2017 #33

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

Miss no longer! There are at least four recipes for pineapple-cheese casserole at www.allrecipes.com (plus a recipe for pineapple enchiladas that I have GOT to try).

14. May 18, 2017 #34

Rojodi

Rojodi

Rojodi

I live an hour's drive from where Pie A La Mode was created - Cambridge Inn, Cambridge NY.

Cheese on a pie is not an upstate NY thing. Some restaurants offered that choice in the 80s and 90s, haven't since.

15. May 18, 2017 #35

Leem

Leem

Leem

Leem

I hate store bought apple pie, but home made apple pie is amazing. I think it is one of the best desserts. I also love blueberry and cherry:eat1:eek:k ok ....all pies if made right beat most chain restaurant's desserts.

I recently had an apple pie with a cheddar crust that was Devine. I had never had a cheese crust but it was crispy and savory and complemented the apple to perfection. The friend who made it said it was an old New England tradition, especially in Massachusetts.

My mom makes a pie that is similar to a Reese's but even better almost a cheesecake peanut butter filling with a thick fudge poured on top. Ah pie....

16. May 21, 2017 #36

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing

The best, most tempting apple pie to me is more of an apple crisp...with vanilla ice cream....with a hot buttery caramel sauce all over it.
    Just saying.....

17. May 22, 2017 #37

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

my mother has long been part of a group their church that's makes a great whack of pies to sell at the Christmas bazaar each year -- it was a pretty good fund raiser and pulled people into the bazaar, where they may buy other stuff.

But they didn't do it this past year; at 78 my mom was one of the youngest in the group, and their leader decided to hang up her apron when she turned ninety, and the rest decided they were getting too old for it too.

Their church has a fair mix of ages, so I'm not sure if they are the last of the generation that all learner pie making as a basic domestic skill, or just the last to volunteer their time, but I suspect at least a good part of the former.

18. May 28, 2017 #38

plushkitty

plushkitty

plushkitty

I'm in my thirties and I bake a darn good pie! Coconut banana cream and lemon sour cream are my specialties, but I can do apple, cherry, pumpkin, pecan, all the classics. My mom and grandma didn't bake very good pies, so I had to teach myself from cookbooks and the internet. Maybe with the rise of internet tutorials and foodie culture we'll see a resurgence of pie baking. I have a friend several years younger than me who makes a Concord grape pie that's to die for, she won a blue ribbon at the county fair!

19. May 28, 2017 #39

Leem

Leem

Leem

Leem

I have never heard of grape pie before is it a hot or cold pie?

Also I bake a lot of pies from scratch during the winter and some of my friends also bake pies.

20. May 28, 2017 #40

plushkitty

plushkitty

plushkitty

It's a hot pie, just like most fruit pies. The taste and texture remind me of blackberry or blueberry pie.