'600 Lb Life' to Feature Our Original 'Rock Star'

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmac

BicMac I'm not speaking for Ashley but it seems in her post she was asking you the same question. Many are saying, "People over X amount of weight can't be healthy or happy," and there seem to be minions of people nodding their heads to agree. She testified that this is not always true and talked about herself. Never at any time did she say that unhappy supersized people are lying. It seems she's merely hoping to count for something in this topic rather than be an inconvenient speed bump in the rush to voice opinions.

I don't doubt that Ashley is currently healthy and happy. However, the fact remains she's gained a very significant amount of weight and if she continues I cannot see her good fortune lasting indefinitely.

Zsalynn's a few years older than Ashley -- Zsalynn doesn't appear to have been prepared for the inevitable end of the party. My point on this thread is that there are lessons to be learned from the experiences of people like Zsalynn.

Weeze

Justin Bieber of Dims
I don't doubt that Ashley is currently healthy and happy. However, the fact remains she's gained a very significant amount of weight and if she continues I cannot see her good fortune lasting indefinitely.

Zsalynn's a few years older than Ashley -- Zsalynn doesn't appear to have been prepared for the inevitable end of the party. My point on this thread is that there are lessons to be learned from the experiences of people like Zsalynn.
First off, you don't know anything about Ashley as a person and you know *nothing* about whether her "good fortune" will last indefinitely... unless you're her medical doctor. Are you? Because if so, please tell me to back off. If not, don't talk about something you only have ONE experience with. Your wife's situation was HER situation, not that of others. Zsa has a TON of problems...
This episode is her 3rd weight loss surgery. You can't compare a woman whose weight has gone up and down so drastically so many times and is miserable and in an abusive marriage to a woman who's happy with who she is and comfortable in her skin.

bigmac

First off, you don't know anything about Ashley as a person and you know *nothing* about whether her "good fortune" will last indefinitely... unless you're her medical doctor. Are you? Because if so, please tell me to back off. If not, don't talk about something you only have ONE experience with. Your wife's situation was HER situation, not that of others. Zsa has a TON of problems...
This episode is her 3rd weight loss surgery. You can't compare a woman whose weight has gone up and down so drastically so many times and is miserable and in an abusive marriage to a woman who's happy with who she is and comfortable in her skin.

Ashley may well be a very exceptional case and be able to transition into midlife as a healthy happy super-size person. However, the odds are against her (and I don't need to know her personally to assert this fact).

I've known Zsalynn since 1995. I've also known many other super-size people. It may surprise you but Zsalynn has always been one of the healthiest and most active members of this group.

Also, second and third WLSs -- revisions they're called -- are very common.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I agree with this wholeheartedly.
It's one thing to be able to handle these things when you're a fairly healthy, viable person, but there's a line that gets crossed at some point and there will be terrible consequences. Hindsight is always 20/20, right?

My point on this thread is that there are lessons to be learned from the experiences of people like Zsalynn.

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
What exactly are the points I'm missing? I don't doubt Ashley is presently healthy and happy. I'm not suggesting any sanctions against people who choose to live in ways I may think imprudent. We're just having a discussion. I'm not seeing how its my problem if that drives you over the edge.
Easy for you to say it's "just a discussion" when you're not the one being shit on and having your experiences completely ignored but are rather the one who refuses to listen to people pointing out your bullshit and instead insulting them.

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher

What lesson would that be BigMac? Being fat is awful? Weight loss is wonderful? Weight loss works? Weight loss surgery will fix everything? Life is better for you when weight loss and NAAFA are your goals in life? You are presenting an alternative point of view which I appreciate but you're not exactly selling this as being THE sensible answer by pointing at Zsalynn's story. For full disclosure, I have not watched this show. I'm not really feeling like I want to. It's soundling like it's a gaping black shit hole of how much suckage there is in life for people who can't be healthy fat and can't lose weight. We all may as well just lay down here and wait for the truck to take us out.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
So at what point, do we as a community decide we need to warn someone they're getting too fat? At what point do we decide that they're incapable of making their own decisions, and step in? At what point is someone unacceptably fat for fat acceptance? And what exactly do we as a community do? Sponsor their WLS surgery? Sign them up for Jenny Craig? Scold them via PM? That doesn't sound like acceptance to me.

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
So at what point, do we as a community decide we need to warn someone they're getting too fat? At what point do we decide that they're incapable of making their own decisions, and step in? At what point is someone unacceptably fat for fat acceptance? And what exactly do we as a community do? Sponsor their WLS surgery? Sign them up for Jenny Craig? Scold them via PM? That doesn't sound like acceptance to me.
Publicly paint them with a broad brush via vague statements and then respond to the (well-deserved) backlash with comments like "oh well I wasn't talking about you specifically" and "but there's no way you know that you'll keep being lucky".

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
I mean yeah thank god someone on here compared supersize women to dogs. As a fat twenty something, I definitely needed some fat shame to put me in my place and stop me from gaining that extra 100 pounds.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
Oh and thank god everyone showed me the error of my ways re:feederism. I mean you know, I can't actually get rid of a fetish but now I feel so guilty about being sexually into what I'm into that I promise not to get over the acceptable weight of 399.

Gendo Ikari

The Intellectual
I'm sure Ash has an exit strategy when she wants to retire from modeling or for the day, should it ever come, that she just gets too big for her liking.

She's not stupid.

WickedWaggy

First off, this thread has wholly and completely derailed....

Secondly I am amazed at reading some of the posts in thread. I found dims in 1996 or 1997 I seem to remember and it is hard to believe where these forums have come since then. I thought this was a size acceptance community. That is size, any size. I'm not sure where where some people get off tell telling others exactly what size size that should be. Regardless of if some is 200 lbs going for 700 lbs or vice versa OR even if (God forbid) they are happy where they are I thought the goal of this community was for everyone to be a part of it. To have somewhere to belong to if they enjoyed a fat lifestyle. Society tells us that fat is bad and for some people's brains to make them like fatness better than the alternative is OK. It is good to share that common thread somewhere.

Obviously obesity carries it's own set of risks. It can also carry rewards for the individual based on their own thoughts and desires.

Ultimately we have to live with the decisions we make. If you want to be 700 lbs , then do it. You only live once and why spend your whole life regretting g the fact that you never tried. It does affect other people than just yourself without doubt but you have to weight those things before you do anything. If If you are miserable being fat, then change it by whatever means you can - it is no longer ACCEPTANCE at that point.

Moreover, what gives someone else the right to tell someone else how to live their life? Regardless of what you think, know, or your own experiences - it is not your own life to live. Accept then, support them, or fuck off.

This has become a cold place. I am glad I found the old dimensions, because I would not feel good about finding this place for for the first time.

J_Underscore

I'm sure Ash has an exit strategy when she wants to retire from modeling or for the day, should it ever come, that she just gets too big for her liking.

She's not stupid.
Well just look at the people who aimed to be the world's largest, Donna Simpson & Susanne Eman reached their limits or something changed in them as the years went on and now they're both looking to lose weight & be healthier.

Gendo Ikari

The Intellectual
Well just look at the people who aimed to be the world's largest, Donna Simpson & Susanne Eman reached their limits or something changed in them as the years went on and now they're both looking to lose weight & be healthier.
Eman has flipped flopped and is back to "gaining". Plus, I don't think Ash has ever, from day one claimed to wanting to be the world's heaviest woman.

Gendo Ikari

The Intellectual
"Healthy at any size" is a misconception. Zsalynn was certainly not healthy at her size. She could barely move, she consumed way too much crap and her life was compromised. Healthy at any size needs to be codified and be made specific, so people don't take "healthy at any size" as an excuse to do no exercise or to eat garbage. Because you do that and you won't be healthy. You wouldn't be healthy skinny doing that and you wouldn't be healthy big doing that. Immobility or even near immobility is not healthy at all.

This forum's culture needs to change, our little society has been following along dogma and traditions set in place since the 70's and there needs to be a radical change in our traditions and our perceptions.

Conrad, this is ultimately your forum, your baby, you have the responsibility to help us and influence us. Do not be set in your ways, change and innovation needs to happen in any society.

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
"Healthy at any size" is a misconception. Zsalynn was certainly not healthy at her size. She could barely move, she consumed way too much crap and her life was compromised. Healthy at any size needs to be codified and be made specific, so people don't take "healthy at any size" as an excuse to do no exercise or to eat garbage. Because you do that and you won't be healthy. You wouldn't be healthy skinny doing that and you wouldn't be healthy big doing that. Immobility or even near immobility is not healthy at all.
Here's the crux of my problem with this whole discussion. Since when are we all so entitled and self-important that we think our "opinions" on someone else's health or happiness need to be voiced? Oh right, since forever. Because that's what people have been doing to fat people since always, and that's why we have a size acceptance movement to begin with. So now we're saying that, yes, fat people should be accepted, but once they reach a certain weight (or level of health/ability?) they should be publicly shamed to WARN THEM. It's all in their best interest, right?

But here's the thing. You don't know these people, and you don't care about them. You care about your own fear of becoming unhealthy, and you care about being congratulated for making the "right" decisions regarding your health. So congratulations. Can you go back to wringing your hands about something else now?

In the meantime I'm going to continue doing what I want--and let's be clear that none of you who are concern-trolling here even know what it is that I want. What you should know, though, is that everyone deserves acceptance in this community, regardless of size, health, or ability.

Marlayna

Here's the crux of my problem with this whole discussion. Since when are we all so entitled and self-important that we think our "opinions" on someone else's health or happiness need to be voiced? Oh right, since forever. Because that's what people have been doing to fat people since always, and that's why we have a size acceptance movement to begin with. So now we're saying that, yes, fat people should be accepted, but once they reach a certain weight (or level of health/ability?) they should be publicly shamed to WARN THEM. It's all in their best interest, right?

But here's the thing. You don't know these people, and you don't care about them. You care about your own fear of becoming unhealthy, and you care about being congratulated for making the "right" decisions regarding your health. So congratulations. Can you go back to wringing your hands about something else now?

In the meantime I'm going to continue doing what I want--and let's be clear that none of you who are concern-trolling here even know what it is that I want. What you should know, though, is that everyone deserves acceptance in this community, regardless of size, health, or ability.
This is about a specific woman on a specific show. She was miserable being close to 600 pounds, and was addicted to sugar. She risked her life to try a surgical solution for the sake of her child. She couldn't make love to her husband anymore, and it was a struggle for her to get up to go to the bathroom.
These were her choices that we were discussing, until others took umbrage with the discussion and chose to make it about themselves. It isn't.

No one is telling you to lose weight. You look great and you have lots of admirers. You probably have a wonderful life and wouldn't want to lose a single pound. That's great. I don't think anyone has a problem with it. I believe your anger is mis-directed.

Gendo Ikari

The Intellectual

All the more power to you Ash. I'm not saying anything you don't already know.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
People are allowed to voice there opinions on anything they'd like to.

You put yourself out there, you're going to have varying opinions on ANYTHING you say. That's how it works.

shy guy

Monkey Trumpets
My gawd what a cluster fuck this has turned into, honestly what is the deal with some of you people? All the personal attacks, the name calling, over all immaturity of 99.9% of you, is this still dimensions or a half ass soap opera? I don't know but this is very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts