Agadbam: India's Norbit?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Agent 007

Shtick man
Oh great, yet another fat-suit movie! The producer, who also plays the main character, even admits that she was inspired by the movie Norbit.

"At a time when obesity is on the rise in our country, Trupti Bhoir comes up with a unique theme through her latest film 'Agadbam'. Aptly titled, the film talks about the strange happenings in the life of an obese girl Najuka weighing 250 kgs with a huge structure. Najuka's father has fixed her marriage while she was a child to his friend's son and it's a commitment given to a priest in the temple of Lord Lingoba.
When the communication is reached between the two parties after so many years reminding each other about the promise, the stage is set to get Najuka married to late Devkule's son Raiba, who is not allowed to see the bride, as per the tradition. Raiba, who is otherwise desperate to get married, agrees to marry Najuka with this condition. But, when he finds Najuka in her real shape, he starts hating her. Though Najuka wins the heart of her Mother-in-law and Grand Mother-in-law; with her good nature; she fails to win over her husband."

For those interested, here's a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=befHUNinhhA&feature=fvw

And some articles on the movie:
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/fat-chance/700180/1
http://www.marathimovieworld.com/review/agadbam-review.php

agadbam+on+marathi+local+2.jpg

My first reaction is one of almost total disgust. Another movie along the line of Shallow Hal and Norbit, filled with fat jokes and a main character in a fat suit.
What do y'all think?

Zoom

Rogue
Upside-down it seems to spell "LELQSICLE", which also happens to be my comment on the fat suit.

Edit: I watched the trailer and a couple of music videos (film itself not available yet apparently) and the most noticeable defect with the suit is that the neck bulges are mostly absent.

Also, no way does she look like 250kg! Maybe, MAYBE 170kg at most.

LovelyLiz

A lot of Indian men seem to like fat women...I mean, I'm sure a lot also don't, but it seems weird to me that her husband wouldn't even be open to the possibility of liking her. Eh.

Also, yeah...that fat suit doesn't make her look anywhere NEAR 250 kg (~550 lbs, for the Americans).

orin

Some of these indian movies are just spoofs of existing flicks

as for indian men and bigger women, yes .. there are some indian men that love "healthy" looking women.

Actually ... in some areas where there is um ... sex for sale ... the women are made to be plumper, the plumper ones are seen as more desireable, i guess since they are usually so thin ... seeing a more healthy looking woman is more appealing,

people tend to go for what is not so common, like how most women like tall men, but most men are not very tall lol

Ned Sonntag

Outermost Hoodoo Doctor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2MXdj_DFPY You can see where they soft-focussed the vinyl on her limbs in post-production, but she's not scary...:eek: as she comes thru the curtain you seem to see real muscles within the hips and thighs, via CGI probably~~ they're trying to make her a hottie!:smitten: She's presented as a leader amongst children which... hmmm:rolleyes: where have I seen that before?
soonsee.gif
Anyway this has got to open a few doors;) in Bollywood for real:bow: supersize women, as SHALLOW HAL may have done for Lindsay Hollister...:wubu:

Meddlecase

I am a whorebath.
Movies like this usually have shit writing and rely heavily on being offensive and crass, which translates painfully unfunny comedy. That's the biggest offender of all. If you're going to rely on society's distaste for fat people to sell tickets, at least wring some decent humor from it.

Of course, I'm speaking from an American standpoint. Dunno how India feels about this sort of thing.

ImSoDead

Actually this film is Marathi, which is seperate from Bollywood.

Also, it came out in theatres on Oct. 8, and there is already a sequel planned.
http://www.facebook.com/agadbam

Yes and no. For everyone in Mumbai (the home of Bollywood), Marathi is their first language. However, most of the filmi produced there is in Hindi for the larger audience, yar.

ImSoDead

Movies like this usually have shit writing and rely heavily on being offensive and crass, which translates painfully unfunny comedy. That's the biggest offender of all. If you're going to rely on society's distaste for fat people to sell tickets, at least wring some decent humor from it.

Of course, I'm speaking from an American standpoint. Dunno how India feels about this sort of thing.

Most filmi humour is slapstick and lowbrow but not scatalogical. Although the latter is apparently becoming more commonplace as we can see from the scene of the heroine breaking wind.

Latest posts