America has a size 12 to 14 average for girls, will other countries follow?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

beginner FA

I think it is great that American women are relaxed enough about their weight to let a healthy size like this become the norm. I also think it is good from a size acceptance perspective as girls who have been told they are "to fat" might now realise their wieght is only a problem if they make a problem of it and accept themselves for they size they are. Plus as an FA, I and other FAs on dimensions, would obviously love to see a few more BBWs and SSBBWs in the world lol.

Do you think other countries will follow in the USA's footsteps?

I think so.:D

knottyknicky

Hips like Cinderella
I don't think the average size in the US has anything at all to do with women being "relaxed" about their size and has everything to do with the kinds of foods we eat as Americans, and the sedentary lifestyle many of us lead. While the average size may be a 14, the average woman generally isn't 'okay' with this...which is a shame, but just as our dietary and lifestyle habits are a result of mass media marketing and the presence of television and the internet, its these same media outlets that constantly berate us for being overweight and pressure us into losing weight.

Vicious cycle.

beginner FA

Well knottyknicky, that was the way I interpreted it but ur American so u would know and I bow to ur surperior knowledge:bow: I still think Amercan women's size can be looked at in a positive light:)

p.s. I'm into photography now aswell, wat styles are u interested in apart from monochrome lol?

olwen

Disco Bear
I agree with knottyknicky. And ss far as I know and can remember that size has been the norm, it's not a new phenomenon. It's just a point the media tends to gloss over.

Dibaby35

Chicken n' Dumplings
Well 12 or 14 would be perfect for me (instead of the 18/20). This is exactly where I want to be. Personally I could care less what other countries do...or even what other woman do about their size. It's all about what your comfy in. It would be great though if everyone starts realizing that this is the average size and there is absolutly nothing wrong with it at all. Will that happen? I doubt it.

knottyknicky

Hips like Cinderella
Well 12 or 14 would be perfect for me (instead of the 18/20). This is exactly where I want to be. Personally I could care less what other countries do...or even what other woman do about their size. It's all about what your comfy in. It would be great though if everyone starts realizing that this is the average size and there is absolutly nothing wrong with it at all. Will that happen? I doubt it.

It might. Thicker women are more commonplace in the media, men are finally admitting they prefer curves as opposed to sticks, and the notion that fat = unhealthy no matter what seems to be fading, despite massive efforts by the diet and excercise industry to drill it into our heads that we're all one and a half feet into our own graves. Nothing happens overnight, but if you look at things now compared to, say, 10 years ago, I'd say theres been a LOT of progress in size acceptance as a whole, and while it might just be the people I meet, I tend to come across many more women who strive to be healthy as opposed to thin.

knottyknicky

Hips like Cinderella
Well knottyknicky, that was the way I interpreted it but ur American so u would know and I bow to ur surperior knowledge:bow: I still think Amercan women's size can be looked at in a positive light:)

p.s. I'm into photography now aswell, wat styles are u interested in apart from monochrome lol?

superior knowledge? hardly. I just think that it would be fairly obvious to anyone with access to mainstream media (tv, internet, etc) that americans aren't getting fatter because of 'acceptance', but because the american diet is highly processed with a side of trans fats and high fructose corn syrup. It should be pointed out too that "average" doesn't neccessarily mean that the average american woman is a size 12/14...it means there are many that are much, much thinne than that, and many that are much, much fatter than that.

I actually don't do much black and white photography, most of my stuff is really colorful and saturated. I do a little bit of everything but kind of with a documentary angle. I dunno.