Any Hockey Fans Here?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I've hesitated to post this thread for the last few days for a few reasons. Primarily, I haven't watched much hockey at all since the pandemic started. Second, I'm an Ottawa Senators fan. The Sens have a load of young talent, but the off-ice hijinks always overshadow everything. I hope things settle down now after the passing of Uncle Gene, but I remain a skeptic.

Anyhoo...we used to have whole threads devoted to single seasons, but I think the baseball thread is a good example to follow to keep the board nice and clean.

Since we're in the middle of a Tampa Bay Lightning dynasty(!), who do you have winning the Cup?

Donna

Irascible Bee
Hockey is probably the only professional sport I know well and will watch regularly. Grew up a die hard Red Wings fan; Yzerman was a god. But I was living in the Tampa/St. Pete area when the Lightning team was formed, so I split my loyalties between the two.

The Avalanche looks to be the favorite, but Stamkos has a way of making magic so it’s hard to call. Guess you know what I’ll be watching tomorrow night. ☺

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I'm indifferent towards the Final. I will probably tune in for a few games. Technically, I should be against Tampa since I have a rule against cheering for any team in the same division, but my passion levels for sports are at a lifetime low.

I live in the Toronto area now, but will never root for the local team. :) I made this abundantly clear in the old NHL threads.

Also, this isn't just an NHL thread. Post about your local team if you want, or share some personal hockey stories.

Here's the highlight from the last Senators game I attended. Also, it was the last time they had a sniff at any success.

Donna

Irascible Bee
Living in Bumfunk, Georgia, hockey here is something “those damned yankees like.” The only reasons we keep our ESPN is for my hockey and my hubby’s college football obsession.

Some of my best memories of my youth were watching the Wings at Cobo in Detroit, sitting in the mezzanine with my mom and her friend. They were a couple gray-haired church ladies, but get them in a hockey arena and they would scream at those players like they were blood thirsty barbarians. The first time I heard my mother curse was her screaming at the Wings, “pull that stick outta your ass and [email protected]&*ing’ shoot the puck!”

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Deffinately a hockey fan, but as another Ottawa Senators fan the past few years have dimmed my passion a bit. Also Covid. Also ditching cable and having terrible reception for CBC over the air for the past couple of years, so that I have to stream TSN to see anything clearly, and they often don't have the games I really want to watch (there are other streaming packages, but I'm not a big enough fan to carry more than one of them).

But I may watch some of the final this year, it really looks like it could be fantastic!

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Cassidy was out of a coaching job for about a week. Fired by Boston, hired by Vegas. It is nice to have the sort of record where strong teams come after you aggressively!

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
It also sounds like Tortorella may go to the Flyers.

Rojodi

I liked the team names

When they were first in the original Major Indoor Soccer League

07a951673fd74f39dd09e37f369c06ef--team-pictures-avalanche.jpgLightning 79-80 Home Team.jpg

Joker

Nashville is building a huge ice arena here in Clarksville with the thought of putting a minor league team here. I guess since it is 5 blocks from my place I will have to go watch. Other than that I only watched minor league teams when I was in Montana and Canada. I was always somewhere in the sticks. :)

Rojodi

I live in Schenectady, NY. In my lifetime, there has only been one minor league hockey team here, the 1981 ACHL Schenectady Chiefs (lasted only 9 games.)

However, I've seen games in
Glens Falls -
Adirondack Thunder (ECHL) (2015–present)
Adirondack Flames (AHL) (2014–2015)
Adirondack Phantoms (AHL) (2009–2014)
Adirondack Red Wings (AHL) (1979–1999)
Empire State Cobras (RHI) (1996)

Albany -
Albany Choppers (IHL) (1990–1991)
Albany River Rats (AHL) (1993–2010)
Albany Devils (AHL) (2010–2017)

Troy -
Troy Slapshots (ACHL) 1986
Capital District Islanders (AHL) (1990–1993)

Plus DI RPI and Union College.

The game was GREAT!!

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Game 1 to Colorado in OT. I only watched part of the first period, but got to see most of the goals in the game. I hope it goes 7.

kyle

"Beam me here Scotty"
Bruins Baby! (I'm from MA)

Best part ... Whenever there is a fight at the Garden, they play the scene on the jumbotron from Happy Gilmore, when Happy (Adam Sandler) and Bob Barker duke it out ... Hilarious

Last edited:

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
It's official. Torts is coaching the Flyers.

John Tortorella and Gritty on the same side...

Philly gotta Philly, I guess.

Donna

Irascible Bee
We got our asses handed to us last night. In the post-game press conference, poor Stamkos looked like he’d been run over by a Zamboni. I’m going to walk back my prediction that this will go seven games. If Colorado keeps slapping like they did last night, it’s over.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I missed the game itself, but happened to turn on the post-game and heard Messier say he's never seen a more dominant game. Yikes.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Colorado is fast, more rested (before this series and they have played a LOT less hockey over the past three seasons), and were playing at home, about a mile high (marginally thinner air is just a bit tougher on visitors). I expected that they'd have an advantage in these first two games, but I never would have predicted such a blow-out.

I doubt that Tampa can come back at this point, but I'm hoping that going home to sea level, with the rest advantage reduced, will at least make more of a series out of it.

Latest posts