2009-2010 NHL Thread. Any Hockey fans??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

JMCGB

Puck is about to drop on Game 2!!! Lets see if Philthy can even the series up!

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I'd like to see a long series too. Philly's coming off two one-goal losses going home, so they should still have a chance at it if they win tonight.

Still, the whole Pronger "stealing-the-pucks" and Laviolette trying to play mind games with Niemi smack of desperation to me. I can't see Chicago falling for it.

BTW- Pronger's a moron, but Carcillo is a raving idiot.

JMCGB

I'd like to see a long series too. Philly's coming off two one-goal losses going home, so they should still have a chance at it if they win tonight.

Still, the whole Pronger "stealing-the-pucks" and Laviolette trying to play mind games with Niemi smack of desperation to me. I can't see Chicago falling for it.

BTW- Pronger's a moron, but Carcillo is a raving idiot.

Chicago didn't fall for it, but there may have still been some method to the madness of Pronger. Philly has played well all series but you could just tell watching game 3 that they weren't going to lose. Whatever lifted them for that game we will never know. I hate Pronger with a passion and I hear you on the mind games with Niemi. In all honesty they didn't have to resort to that. They may be a 7 seed but they have a lot of talent on their roster. Looks like the ghost of Pelle Lindberg is still haunting them in net. Leighton has let in a few softies this series.

JMCGB

Well this series just got real interesting. Maybe the ghost of Pelle Lingbergh isn't going to squash the Cup hopes of Philly. What a series!!! :bow:

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Chicago better wake up, it looks like Philly's smelling blood...

Speaking of blood...has anyone else seen the "Broad Street Bullies" documentary yet? I just saw it the other day on HBO. Crazy! I was thinking to myself it would make a heck of a movie, except it would basically be a SlapShot remake...

GTAFA

Chicago better wake up, it looks like Philly's smelling blood...

If it weren't for goalkeeping (good & bad) Philly would be leading the series, or might even have won it outright. They suddenly make me aware of the comparative youth of the Hawks. Toews looks especially young (interesting facial hair) right now.

Pronger looks like a god out there.

PamelaLois

ILL-INI
Yay Hawks! What an amazing win in OT. Kaner knew it was good before anyone else. Roenick tearing up during the postgame was priceless and brought a tear to my eye too. My dad would have loved this as well. So sorry he missed it, gone too soon. I've seen a Chicago Championship in all 4 major sports, how many other people can say that? What a great night.

Now I need to know when the parade is so I can ask for the day off, since I work in downtown Chicago, traffic will be horrific!

The Hawks are such an amazing turn-around story, and for those of us who have been fans all along, this is just incredible.:wubu:

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Great win for the Blackhawks, but what a strange ending! I almost thought they might call it back, but the first replay I saw was the one from above that showed the puck clearly went in. Almost surreal.

What a save by Niemi! (The one off of his face...)

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Heh, now we should get the thread locked, the season is over!

Good for Chicago, I thought they deserved that one--Philly has been playing a pretty short bench and it was starting to show IMO. They still could have gotten lucky and pulled it off, but I thought Chicago deserved the win.

And it is so nice after decades of terrible Chicago hockey. Just goes to show how important the ownership can be!

PamelaLois

ILL-INI
Heh, now we should get the thread locked, the season is over!

Good for Chicago, I thought they deserved that one--Philly has been playing a pretty short bench and it was starting to show IMO. They still could have gotten lucky and pulled it off, but I thought Chicago deserved the win.

And it is so nice after decades of terrible Chicago hockey. Just goes to show how important the ownership can be!

It has to be so gratifying for Rocky Wirtz that he turned the club around in the three years he's been in charge, what an amazing job he's done. It was really sad when his dad wouldn't let the Hawks be on TV because he thought that would bring more people to the games, but all it did was make people lose interest totally. Once Rocky put the games on TV, interest soared, attendance shot through the roof (100 straight sellouts) and the team rebounded. The fans are back, the team is hot and hockey is rocking again in Chicago.

When's the first preseason NFL game? Gotta get my fantasy football league set up.........:rolleyes:

mejix

meh
i didn't really follow the season, i just followed my colleagues at work following the season. tomorrow i will get excited watching people being excited.

its always great to be in a city when it competes for a national title. very electric. you can't help getting into it.

GTAFA

I was pleasantly surprised by the fans behaviour, suggesting (again) the mutual respect these two teams seem to have earned for one another. I think it was really clear what a totally nice, classy bunch of people play for the Hawks, no malice to be found in any of them, just a boisterous enjoyment of the game. Booing Bettman? that was priceless (and by now de rigeur)

The dead silence on that last goal while Kane raced around the rink? that was totally surreal, dreamlike. You could feel from the stillness of the Flyers that the game was over, even before they announced anything.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I was pleasantly surprised by the fans behaviour, suggesting (again) the mutual respect these two teams seem to have earned for one another. I think it was really clear what a totally nice, classy bunch of people play for the Hawks, no malice to be found in any of them, just a boisterous enjoyment of the game. Booing Bettman? that was priceless (and by now de rigeur)

The dead silence on that last goal while Kane raced around the rink? that was totally surreal, dreamlike. You could feel from the stillness of the Flyers that the game was over, even before they announced anything.

I still think it was a weird ending, but it may just become a classic. I heard about four versions of the call of the winning goal today on the radio, and each one the play-by-play guy stuttered, was unsure, then started yelling when they realized it was over.

And yes...that silence from the Flyer fans was really something else...I want to call it creepy, but I think 'profound' is a better choice of words...

KHayes666

Go away
I still think it was a weird ending, but it may just become a classic. I heard about four versions of the call of the winning goal today on the radio, and each one the play-by-play guy stuttered, was unsure, then started yelling when they realized it was over.

And yes...that silence from the Flyer fans was really something else...I want to call it creepy, but I think 'profound' is a better choice of words...

Coming from a Bruin fan like me, that silence was music to my ears :)

PamelaLois

ILL-INI
It's been a crazy day in Chicago, they estimate 2 million people showed up downtown for the Hawks parade and rally. The players were just having a great time, the Cup has been to almost every bar and nightclub in the city in the past 2 days, and I think is going to be at the Crosstown Classic (Cubs v Sox) game this weekend.

Just to give you an idea of how many people were at the rally. The city of Chicago officially has 3 million residents, and, if you add the suburbs and environs, it comes to about 10 million. So 1/5th of the Chicagoland population was at the rally. I was at work about 3 miles down State street and I could hear the screams and cheers. This city has turned into Hawkey Town

Latest posts