Anyone else completely UNathletic?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Colonial Warrior

I have a doubt if I have the Spors gene. I started to watch sports when I was 30. Before that I love pro wrestling.

Even I shaved my legs to use shorts like pro wrestler trousers when I was in college.

I just want to do it again but at my 350, I look unathletic!

Thank you so much for your interesting postings, @Barbsjw !

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
I do water aerobics and swimming, not on a regular basis. (actually haven't done for quite a while... )
And I also do some exercises to stabilize my knee.
I like to spend time out for a walk.

All of this keeps me mobile but that's far away from being athletic in any way.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
To paraphrase an old country song, I'm pretty athletic for the shape that I'm in. (in more detail, my reaction speed and hand-eye coordination have always been mediocre, but my feet have always done well by me and I've been good at reading a situation such that I don't have to rely too much on reactions). Obviously these days I'm older, fatter, and more sedentary than when I did a lot of sports when I was younger, but I can still ski pretty well or flick-pass a soccer ball on target.

My wife, on the other hand, is completely non-athletic. She's fairly active and likes walking and biking, but, like, she managed to break her arm with her knee trying to go over a vaulting horse as a kid, she can't stand any sort of sliding, really doesn't twist and turn well, doesn't even like to walk on uneven surfaces. It was something that was a bit hard to adjust to at first, as it was hard for me to accept that some things that seemed so obviously fun to me were somewhere between 'not-fun' and 'terrifying' to her. It really is amazing how much difference there can be between genetics and preferences and upbringing.

jakemcduck

I'm definitely declining with my athleticism. Might have been that last 100 lbs, not sure.

Barrett

OMG, Becky, look at his belly.
DM Supporter
I'm definitely declining with my athleticism. Might have been that last 100 lbs, not sure.
I'm in that same boat (we are definitely gonna need a bigger boat 🤣 ).

I don't run anymore, which I think is a key attribute of athleticism.
Heck, running at my lowest adult weight of 192 wasn't an option; it would leave me hobbled for weeks (knees couldn't take the pounding), and that was 15 years and 160+ pounds ago.
Though, I do still engage in strength-training (weight-lifting, farmer's walks, etc.).

Jaycee

I'm unathletic as in I have never played on/in any sport in my life. Mainly because I grew up 12 miles out of town and my parents were not going to run in to town constantly for sports. I've tossed a ball around a some birthday parties but that's the extent. I'm not physically unfit athletic wise with having a physically active job just not sporty.

Barrett

OMG, Becky, look at his belly.
DM Supporter
I used to do sumo. Does sumo count as athletics?
Definitely. At least in my book it does.

I would have added my own martial arts training to my accounting above, but since I haven't actively practiced in a while, it's not doing much at the moment to contribute to whatever shred of athleticism I might have left.

Does waddling count? Asking for a friend...

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
My wife, on the other hand, is completely non-athletic. She's fairly active and likes walking and biking, but, like, she managed to break her arm with her knee trying to go over a vaulting horse as a kid, she can't stand any sort of sliding, really doesn't twist and turn well, doesn't even like to walk on uneven surfaces. It was something that was a bit hard to adjust to at first, as it was hard for me to accept that some things that seemed so obviously fun to me were somewhere between 'not-fun' and 'terrifying' to her. It really is amazing how much difference there can be between genetics and preferences and upbringing.
Your wife and I must be athletic-twins! Phys Ed in school left me traumatized and to this day I viscerally hate and avoid organized sports or athletics of any type. My problem always was that - especially for a woman - I'm pretty strong and have stamina. Both are held in low esteem in female sports. Since I have no speed, no sense of balance, rotten hand-eye-coordination, small hands, short legs - all sorts of things that effectively keep me from achieving any athletic success. Many Phys Ed teachers were downright cruel about my lack of talent - instead of doing an objective analysis what I might be good at physically and where the limits of my abilities were

Fortunately my parents taught me to bike before I could think - so I bike well and comfortably. I would've loved to learn how to skate - be it ice or roller - but despite years of trying and patient friends making an effort to teach me - I never got anywhere with it.

That said - I'm also no couch potato. I really like and need - physically, mentally, emotionally - to move around a lot and am terrible at sitting still. So I bike a lot, go hiking and do free water swimming in the summer - please just don't call it athletics or tell me I'm excercising!

Latest posts