• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

BBW's and The Body Beautiful

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
This is an attempt to springboard off a thread Les Toil started in Hyde Park a couple of days ago. He was commenting on a weight-loss ad that featured "before and after" pictures. "Before" was a mid-sized BBW with an hourglass shape; "after" was much slimmer, with what I would call a "boyish" figure (because I looked a lot like that in junior high). After considerable discussion, Fascinita wrote: "One solution to the problem... might be to look at the deeper causes for the constant scrutiny of women's bodies and the culture's hyper-focus on defining "perfect female body." Let's do that.

My $.02 worth: Different body shapes have gone in and out of fashion. In the 1920's, flappers bound their breasts to achieve a boyish figure; that was, perhaps coincidentally, about the time women began to enter the work force in large numbers. Ever since the 1960's, I have observed the "perfect female body" growing progressively thinner as women's participation and leadership in many areas has increased. I remember once when I was dating a woman who was taller than I, one of my male friends asked, "Aren't you afraid she will dominate you?" I thought it was a silly question, but I wonder if this fear might not be a contributing factor to an increased identification of slenderness (fragility?) with beauty. Are thinner women in demand partly because they are seen as weaker or easier to dominate? Conversely,is it commoner for FA's to value strength and independence in women than for non-FA's? Or is it too much of an individual matter to tell? What do you think?

Latest posts

Back