• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Big Moves: Because Every Body Can Dance

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFA

Results STILL NOT typical
Last night, I had the pleasure of seeing a performance by Big Moves, a dance organization based out of Boston and San Francisco. It was really an amazing show. They'll be performing in New York City on June 2 and 3 and then at Montreal's Fringe Festival from June 12-18. If you're going to be there, I'd highly urge you to attend a show.

Big Moves is dedicated to size diversity in dance and the dancers represented that quite well, ranging from mid-size BBWs to SSBBWs. While many of us know full well that a fat body can move with grace and agility, it is something often shut out of organized dance. It is so important to have a group like Big Moves organizing opportunities to reinvent dance for fat bodies. The dance revue not only represented a diversity in size, but also in abilities, which is good, too. Everyone was fantastic and inspiring and encouraging. Some of the dancers, however, were absolutely exceptional. There was a modern dance piece performed by choreographer Kelley Donovan which I cannot begin to describe. It was incredibly moving and performed with true mastery. There were also forays into hip-hop, musical theater, and belly dancing that was all a lot of fun and great to experience. They have a respect and confidence for their bodies that allows them to transend expectations of dance and make it their own.

Really, I can't say enough about what a wonderful experience this was. I hope everyone in New York and Montreal will be able to get out to see the dance revue when it heads your way in June. By all means, check out the Big Moves website for more information about what they do. And any folks in Boston who missed out, its definetly your loss but still visit the website and let them know that you want to see them in the future. They run dance workshops, too, but they had to cancel two in Boston today due to lack of advance interest. This is absolutely a great organization to support and they should be performing again this fall.

Latest posts

Back