"Biggest Loser" Under Investigation

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Inhibited

REALITY? The reality is that the majority of fat people do not have 6 hours a day to exercise. A TRUE reality show would show people living their daily lives and losing weight at a safe rate of 1-2 pounds a week. The biggest loser sets up people who do try to lose weight on their own for disappointment as they compare themselves to the contestants progress.
Totally agree, was going to post something similar..... I don't like how they are voted off either, why can't they all stay on the show and whoever loses the most weight still wins.....

LoveBHMS

default title
Totally agree, was going to post something similar..... I don't like how they are voted off either, why can't they all stay on the show and whoever loses the most weight still wins.....
Once again because the whole point is to create entertainment and drama. A lot of these shows going back to the basic birth of the genre (MTV's "The Real World") are about the idea of putting a group of strangers together in a contained environment and watching them interact. "The Real World" is in something like its 20th season, and i believe "Big Brother" is up to around 12 or 14, and "Survivor" is close to that as well. It's clear that viewers like watching a sort of "Ten Little Indians" style of show where part of the drama is somebody having to leave and and thus creating a survival mentality.

And again, the purpose of these shows is entertainment, not to help anyone lose weight.

Inhibited

Once again because the whole point is to create entertainment and drama. A lot of these shows going back to the basic birth of the genre (MTV's "The Real World") are about the idea of putting a group of strangers together in a contained environment and watching them interact. "The Real World" is in something like its 20th season, and i believe "Big Brother" is up to around 12 or 14, and "Survivor" is close to that as well. It's clear that viewers like watching a sort of "Ten Little Indians" style of show where part of the drama is somebody having to leave and and thus creating a survival mentality.

And again, the purpose of these shows is entertainment, not to help anyone lose weight.
I think showing contestants losing weight in a everyday environment will bring more entertainment as there are more environments were drama can occur, interactions with work, family members, partners etc...

Not so familiar with the real world, i think last year was big brothers last here, i only watched the first 3 series of big brother, not so sure about survivor i think it might be popular here but i never really got into it..... But with the mentioned shows there is no other way to determine a winner but to have them voted off...

DrPhilter

I watched Biggest Loser for the first time this season. I'm not someone who is completely uncomfortable with my body. Im really not that far out of shape. I have some chub to me and really I would prefer to be muscular than just lose weight, ya know? But someone told me it was a good show to follow for losing weight and it's clear that they were wrong. Im sorry but I just don't have the motivation to work out even 4 hours a day. I work out 2 hours a day and thats fine by me.

I also don't really comprehend their whole plan. From what I can tell people are supposed to lose like 8k calories a day, which seems ludacris to me.

I guess I appreciate that people can make a difference in their life and thats good. I would say to an extent biggest loser is better than some of the other trash reality shows out there but I fear there are a lot of people out there that compare themselves too closely to the contestants as far as weight loss goes and thats really not good.

tinkerbell

Thats what I'd like to see too.

But the people who get voted off do typically continue to lose weight at home and show that you CAN do it at home. True they have an incentive to lose weight - 100,000 to the at home winner, but there are many there who know they aren't going to win that prize (it would just be impossible with their starting weight) who continue to lose weight anyway.

I dont think the show is boring - I start to like the people on there.

I really like Jillian. They will show her yelling and being mean in the promos for the show, because that gets people talking and gets people to watch. But if you watch the show enough, you find out she's not as mean as they like to portray her. And many of the former contestants have said she's not as mean as they show her in the clips on the show. When you watch the shows, you see her talking to the contestants, and crying with them, when they share painful stories with her (about being fat, and about their lives - Abby this season lost her WHOLE FAMILY in a car accident, and that triggered a lot of her weight gain). She was slightly overweight as a teen, so she 'gets' a little of what they are going through.

I get why its not a show that is popular here. But there are many people out there who are not happy being fat - and THAT IS OK! Its ok to not want to be fat anymore. Its ok to do something about it. And here is a show, showing that you can be fat, and can work out hard, and that you dont HAVE to have WLS to lose weight. And that is criticized too.

As its ok to be happy being fat. Not every fat person hates their bodies. Which is fine.

LovelyLiz

I get why its not a show that is popular here. But there are many people out there who are not happy being fat - and THAT IS OK! Its ok to not want to be fat anymore. Its ok to do something about it. And here is a show, showing that you can be fat, and can work out hard, and that you dont HAVE to have WLS to lose weight. And that is criticized too.

As its ok to be happy being fat. Not every fat person hates their bodies. Which is fine.
I totally agree that if people want to change their bodies pretty much HOWEVER they want to, that is their right. If there's anything in my time around these forums that I've seen as thematic it's that people here believe that others should be able to control their own bodies and do what they like with them and not be forced to be any way they don't want to be. And you raise a good point that it goes for losing weight too -- everyone has the right to lose/gain/remain/whatever as they see fit.

But I think it's at least worth saying that the distinction is that when someone who is fat wants to be thin, they have a TON of social support and social pressure to go that route. And, someone not wanting to be fat anymore and wanting to go on a show like The Biggest Loser, is at least in part connected to the surrounding cultural ethos where fat people are often viewed as miserable/ugly/troubled -- an ethos that is reinforced by shows like the Biggest Loser.

I know the show shouldn't be expected to present all sides of the story. It just makes me sad when people are motivated to do anything through self-hatred; and it seems like the people who go on that show (based on my limited viewing of it) really hate their fat bodies. And, knowing that they may be fat again someday, or even that they have had a lot of life already being in those bodies, I guess I just would rather they be encouraged to love and value their bodies at each point in the cycle (even if they still choose to lose weight). The self-hatred seems like a motivating force, and that just really doesn't sit well with me.

John12

I believe the show was created to show the world that it is possible to lose weight, no matter how big you are. It is just a matter of discipline which is very hard to maintain. For those fat people who desperately wants to lose weight and have been trying for years, this show is for them...

LovelyLiz

I do appreciate that the show inspires some fat people to know they can work out and move their bodies and do all kinds of active things they didn't think they would be able to - and I'm truly glad people feel inspired by that.

All I'm saying, alongside that, is that it is a bit troubling to me when the motivation for that is self-loathing.

Rojodi

Celebrity Fit Club has the contestants lose 2, 3, 4, 5 lbs by the "next weigh in." From my understanding, they are NOT weekly. Sometimes they are 10 days between weigh-ins. It's a much healthlier way to lose weight.

mithrandirjn

The only real positive of the show, to me, at least, is that it emphasizes the importance of diet and exercise for both weight loss and overall health. Anybody at any size can still partake in a sound diet and a moderate-to-high amount of exercise, or at least an active lifestyle, if the gym isn't your thing.

But the negatives of this show are much, much greater, mainly because of the fantasy they peddle to the public.

Nobody has 6-8 hours a day to exercise, unless it's a part of your career, and nobody can operate a normal, everyday life, with jobs, families, chores, commuting, et. al., while working on a diet that involves eating a bare bones minimum of calories, the fuel you'd need to get through the day.

Even if you COULD do it, you'd need constant medical supervision, which is what's available to the contestants on this show.

But the human body is a funny thing. Rapid weight gain or weight loss, either way, the body isn't designed to support either. You can put your body through a grueling 8-10 month schedule where you lose an ungodly amount of weight, but you'll have a HELL of a harder time maintaining that weight than somebody who didn't have to lose 100-200 pounds, or however much they say they lose. Your body needs time to adapt to being a new size, whichever size it may be, and the contestants on these shows are absolutely murdering their metabolisms by barely eating and then exercising like machines. Your metabolism works FASTER if you eat enough (without overeating) and then hit the treadmill/weights/whatever.

Unless you become a millionaire and can hire a dietician, a doctor, a personal trainer, basically a full time "health staff", how can a person possibly keep that level of activity up to maintain their weight, though? You can't radically shift your lifestyle for less than a year, go back to "normal", and hope to keep up what you've gotten. Yes, you can begin leading a healthier life, but what'll happen you begin eating a "normal" amount of calories a day? Or when you only have one hour to work out, not six?

And this isn't even mentioning one of the most disturbing aspects of the show: the self-loathing it promotes.

Look, if you're unhealthy, and you feel unhealthy, blah blah blah, then I can totally understand feeling down on yourself, feeling like you're allowing yourself to miss out on certain things in life, etc.

However, the vast majority of personality types do NOT take positive steps towards a lifestyle change via self-loathing. If anything, when a person is down on themselves, they very likely retreat FURTHER into their unhealthy habits, unless they're on a stupid TV show where they have no choice but to work out/be active.

But if you want the goal of healthiness to be one that people can latch onto, then you MUST promote positive body image. That doesn't mean encouraging people to be fat (since we know that won't happen, at least not explicitly), but it does mean helping a person to reach some level of comfort with themselves and their bodies.

When a person becomes more positive about those issues, they tend to become more outgoing, and thus, inevitably, more active. Maybe they won't be jogging 5 miles a day, but maybe they'll go outside more to take a nice walk, or go out at night more often just to have some fun, anything that encourages just getting up and DOING something.

...Ok, I've ranted long enough. Sorry.

ksandru

"PHAT" Not "Fat", Got It?
Jillian Michaels? A former fat girl who now berates the people she once was. Can't stand the bitch & I would tell her to fuck off in a minute! :mad:

My hate for reality tv doesn't end with ''The Biggest loser'', I hate...just about all of it, I mean there are some cool shows like ''Deadliest Catch'' but in the end most reality tv is dumb bullshit which is why I can't stand it.
Yeah, I would rather watch Deadliest Catch myself and documentaries as well as that crap. NO ONE is going to tell me to give up my Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! :eat2:

Rojodi

Yeah, I would rather watch Deadliest Catch myself and documentaries as well as that crap. NO ONE is going to tell me to give up my Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! :eat2:

History Channel, History Channel International, Discovery Channel, those are REALity tv. TLC use to be, until the Duggars and Jon and Katie plus 8 invaded. I hope to God, Jesus, all the saints and angels that people will wake up to the dangers that "The Biggest Loser" bring. The weight loses per week are incredibly life-threatening. I know I couldn't do it. I can do an hour's worth of LIGHT exercise before I'd have to stop, rehydrate and have something to eat: Type II diabetic here.

Baba Fats

History Channel, History Channel International, Discovery Channel, those are REALity tv.
Discovery is a freak show, and just about as factual as a spiel from P.T. Barnum. I love the History channels, but every other program seems to be about UFOs, vampires, or the DaVinci Code. Even those that stick to history tend to dumb down the facts and smooth over a lot of uncertainties, while playing up the most sensational events.

Reality TV is an oxymoron. It's all about what sells. There is no such thing as reality on television. (Well, maybe R. Lee Ermey. I'm only saying that because I wouldn't want to get on his bad side.)

Sing with me, people:

It ain't necessarily so
It ain't necessarily so
Whatever you're able
To watch on your cable
It ain't necessarily so

pdesil071189

I was always taught in health class that healthy weight loss is 6 to 8 lbs a week. Some of these shows do push it to the extreme. Just because you can lose 20 lbs a week dosent mean you should. Seriously wanna lose weight walk like a mile or so a day and never step on a scale it works. Weighing yourself in my opinion just stresses you out. Which isnt good for weight loss. I mean seriously last time I just exercised and didnt worry bout weight my clothes were starting to fall of me like crazy (aka my Gangsta phase) I gained it back but still.

moniquessbbw

Shake N Bake
I always wished they did more follow ups, like who kept the weight off, i think that would make more of an impact in a lot of ways, we all know we can lose weight, but how the hell do you keep it off?
The day before Thanksgiving they ran a special show about all the past contestants. Only one guy gained it back. They made him an offer to weigh in at the season 9 finale and he said yes. He has almost 200 pounds to loose again.

LovelyLiz

The day before Thanksgiving they ran a special show about all the past contestants. Only one guy gained it back. They made him an offer to weigh in at the season 9 finale and he said yes. He has almost 200 pounds to loose again.
Was it only one guy from all the contestants who had gained the weight back? Or only one guy from among the smaller group who agreed to appear on the update show?

the_captain

Yabba Dabba Doo!
I was always taught in health class that healthy weight loss is 6 to 8 lbs a week. Some of these shows do push it to the extreme. Just because you can lose 20 lbs a week dosent mean you should. Seriously wanna lose weight walk like a mile or so a day and never step on a scale it works. Weighing yourself in my opinion just stresses you out. Which isnt good for weight loss. I mean seriously last time I just exercised and didnt worry bout weight my clothes were starting to fall of me like crazy (aka my Gangsta phase) I gained it back but still.
Losing a lot of weight is all well and good, but the issue for most people is keeping it off, and that requires eating habit changes. A while back (I think on TLC) there was a mini series called I Can Make You Thin with Paul McKenna. His approach was to eat what you want, but eat slowly, putting down the fork and chewing each mouthful thoroughly. Eventually you recognize the "full" signal your body sends, and you stop eating. That's an overly simplistic explanation of his plan, but it makes sense that once you've lost a bunch of weight you can't just go back to old eating habits. I don't know if the Biggest Loser trainers tell that to the contestants, but I highly doubt it.

fatlane

Starting Arvist
I already watch a reality TV show. It's called Democracy Now.
Amy Goodman has one of the best damn news shows on the planet.

When Robert Fisk is her guest, it's THE best damn news show on the planet.

tinkerbell

Was it only one guy from all the contestants who had gained the weight back? Or only one guy from among the smaller group who agreed to appear on the update show?
Not everyone who had been on the show was on the update show. I'm not sure the reason behind it. But they didn't just show the success stories, like you would think.

Eric was the first winner of the show. He's gained back all of the weight. And he was on the update show.

Matt and Suzy both were on the show, and Matt one the season they were on (they met, fell in love, and are married with 2 kids now) and they both have gained weight back. And admitted that its hard to keep it off. That its not easy.

Another woman on there had a child, and gained some weight back, and was having a hard time getting it off again, but was working at it.

Another woman (sorry I dont know the names of all of them!) said that she didn't believe the Dr at the ranch, that she would have to exercise for a couple of hours a day to keep the weight off. And so she didn't, and started to gain weight back. And has to work HARD to keep the weight off.

Carla from 2 seasons ago, has continued to lose weight, but she's not thin. She was still in the 240's but they showed her, and that she was running the Detroit 1/2 marathon this year.

So, IMO, they didn't paint this as a cure all to being overweight. They showed that even being on the show, you have the potential to gain weight back. And didn't say it was easy, and the people pointed out that they struggle with it everyday. They didn't only show the "success" stories of people who kept it off without a problem. They showed that its hard, and that people still can and do gain weight back.